Trackers for cats?

Old June 26th 12, 04:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhino[_3_]

Default Trackers for cats?

Is anyone of aware of any products that can be attached to a cat so that it
can be tracked if it doesn't come home on its own?

I'm thinking of various TV shows in which the cops track the bad guy via a
GPS chip in the bad guy's cell phone. Is there anything equivalent that I
could put on a cat collar? Or even something that could be put into the cat
the way an identifying microchip is done?

I'm guessing a gadget like this that is geared towards cats might be
expensive and that the tracking software and signal detection gear you'd
need to see the signal would be even more costly. Stilll, maybe some clever
engineer/business type with a love for pets has figured out an affordable
cat-tracking system....

Old June 26th 12, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"Rhino" wrote in message
Is anyone of aware of any products that can be attached to a cat so that
it can be tracked if it doesn't come home on its own?

I'm thinking of various TV shows in which the cops track the bad guy via a
GPS chip in the bad guy's cell phone. Is there anything equivalent that I
could put on a cat collar? Or even something that could be put into the
cat the way an identifying microchip is done?

I'm guessing a gadget like this that is geared towards cats might be
expensive and that the tracking software and signal detection gear you'd
need to see the signal would be even more costly. Stilll, maybe some
clever engineer/business type with a love for pets has figured out an
affordable cat-tracking system....

there are plenty of them they even have an App for that
here are some examples
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_7k4sd7i83k_b

Old June 26th 12, 09:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Rhino wrote:
Is anyone of aware of any products that can be attached to a cat so
that it can be tracked if it doesn't come home on its own?

I'm thinking of various TV shows in which the cops track the bad guy
via a GPS chip in the bad guy's cell phone. Is there anything
equivalent that I could put on a cat collar? Or even something that
could be put into the cat the way an identifying microchip is done?

I'm guessing a gadget like this that is geared towards cats might be
expensive and that the tracking software and signal detection gear
you'd need to see the signal would be even more costly. Stilll, maybe
some clever engineer/business type with a love for pets has figured
out an affordable cat-tracking system..It is only a question of time. As
the miniturazation of electronce progresses, a device small and light
enough to put on a cat collar will soon arrive on the market. If you can
attach such a thing to a car today, you will be able to attach a smaller
one to a cat tomorrow.

Old June 26th 12, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Matthew wrote:
"Rhino" wrote in message
Is anyone of aware of any products that can be attached to a cat so
that it can be tracked if it doesn't come home on its own?

I'm thinking of various TV shows in which the cops track the bad guy
via a GPS chip in the bad guy's cell phone. Is there anything
equivalent that I could put on a cat collar? Or even something that
could be put into the cat the way an identifying microchip is done?

I'm guessing a gadget like this that is geared towards cats might be
expensive and that the tracking software and signal detection gear
you'd need to see the signal would be even more costly. Stilll,
maybe some clever engineer/business type with a love for pets has
figured out an affordable cat-tracking system....

there are plenty of them they even have an App for that
here are some examples
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_7k4sd7i83k_b

There you go... It seems the future is here already.....

Old June 26th 12, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhino[_3_]

[snip everything else to get past a posting error about overly long lines]

There you go... It seems the future is here already.....

I'm impressed. It seemed reasonable that someone COULD come up with
something like that but I thought I might be overoptimistic to imagine such
things in the real world, especially in an affordable price range like the
ones Matthew's search revealed.

It seemed like the kind of thing that only millionaires might be able to
afford. I'm glad to see I'm wrong about that!

My cats are strictly indoor cats but I'm tempted to get trackers for both of
them because they do occasionally hide, either here or at my mother's, and
it can be a real challenge to find, even though the houses in question are
not that big.....

--
Rhino

Old June 27th 12, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"Rhino" wrote in message

[...]

You should see the one the have for dementia and Alzheimer's patients.
they can be a pendant or a watch they even have them that go in their shoes.
they can track with in 3 feet of the person

Old June 27th 12, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(PeteCresswell)

Per Matthew:
You should see the one the have for dementia and Alzheimer's patients.
they can be a pendant or a watch they even have them that go in their shoes.
they can track with in 3 feet of the person

It's starting to sound to me like good things are on the horizon
viz-a-viz catching thieves. Sort of a Low-Jack system for
something like a bicycle... or a toolbox.... or even a TV....
--
Pete Cresswell
Old June 27th 12, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per Matthew:
You should see the one the have for dementia and Alzheimer's patients.
they can be a pendant or a watch they even have them that go in their
shoes.
they can track with in 3 feet of the person

It's starting to sound to me like good things are on the horizon
viz-a-viz catching thieves. Sort of a Low-Jack system for
something like a bicycle... or a toolbox.... or even a TV....
--
Pete Cresswell

they have them already I have one on my laptop

it is the six of a small match box thin as a credit card cost me $4.95 a
month to be able to track it

Old June 27th 12, 08:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Matthew:
You should see the one the have for dementia and Alzheimer's
patients.
they can be a pendant or a watch they even have them that go in
their shoes. they can track with in 3 feet of the person

It's starting to sound to me like good things are on the horizon
viz-a-viz catching thieves. Sort of a Low-Jack system for
something like a bicycle... or a toolbox.... or even a TV....

Now there's a good idea. You could hide a GPS/transmitter device inside a
package of $100 bills, and give it to a bank robber. by the time they
started counting their money, the police would be knocking at their front
door.....

Old June 27th 12, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(PeteCresswell)

Per Matthew:
they have them already I have one on my laptop

it is the six of a small match box thin as a credit card cost me $4.95 a
month to be able to track it

GPS for the position and GSM for reporting?

Do you have a make/model or a link?
--
Pete Cresswell