A better use for flea collars

Old April 21st 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debra

Default A better use for flea collars

I don't put flea collars on my pets anymore because there are better
and safer products to use on them, but I have a new reason to buy the
collars. We have had wasps nesting under our deck for years. The
deck is so low that we couldn't climb under it to spray wasp killer or
do anything else. This year I started seeing wasps at the deck as
soon as it warmed up enough for them to fly. I bought two flea
collars and slid them between the boards near the places the wasps
would frequently walk through the cracks, with the clasp still topside
so the collar dangles. We don't have wasps under the deck anymore.

Since the clasp for each collar is still on top just spanning the
crack in the floor boards, I can pull it up and dispose of it at the
end of the season. Hopefully I won't need to buy any next year, but
at least I know it works. I thought there might be others here who
could use the this tip.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old April 21st 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 20, 6:51 pm, Debra wrote:
[...]

See my quilts athttp://community.webshots.com/user/debplayshere

Wow, that's interesting. I had no idea a flea collar would repel
wasps. Good info.! They're nasty little critters, and so aggressive!
Another use for flea collars: I had a friend with a light infestation
in her home. She vaccuumed (and vacuumed, and vacuumed)...with a cut-
up flea collar inside the vaccum bag. She swears she got rid of the
fleas, and never had to actually treat the carpet with anything, she
just treated the cats and vacuumed like crazy.

Sherry

Old April 21st 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Sherry" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 20, 6:51 pm, Debra wrote:
[...]

Yes, that's a good way to get rid of fleas (although additional treatment
may be needed if there is a real infestation in the home). It's also a good
idea to empty the vacuum bag, then vacuum up a few more pieces of cut-up
flea collar and leave them there while the vacuum is in "storage." That
gets any eggs that might otherwise hatch in the vacuum bag or cannister.

MaryL

Old April 21st 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote

| Wow, that's interesting. I had no idea a flea collar would repel
| wasps. Good info.! They're nasty little critters, and so aggressive!
| Another use for flea collars: I had a friend with a light infestation
| in her home. She vaccuumed (and vacuumed, and vacuumed)...with a cut-
| up flea collar inside the vaccum bag. She swears she got rid of the
| fleas, and never had to actually treat the carpet with anything, she
| just treated the cats and vacuumed like crazy.
|
| Sherry
|

| Yes, that's a good way to get rid of fleas (although additional treatment
| may be needed if there is a real infestation in the home). It's also a
good
| idea to empty the vacuum bag, then vacuum up a few more pieces of cut-up
| flea collar and leave them there while the vacuum is in "storage." That
| gets any eggs that might otherwise hatch in the vacuum bag or cannister.
|
| MaryL

Or you can do what I do: When you finish vacuuming if you didn't fill the
bag, take it out of the vacuum and tie a plastic bag over it and keep it in
the freezer until next time. The cold will kill fleas and eggs.

Old April 22nd 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
PatM

On Apr 21, 2:20 pm, "Pat"
wrote:
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote

| Wow, that's interesting. I had no idea a flea collar would repel
| wasps. Good info.!

Or you can do what I do: When you finish vacuuming if you didn't fill
the
bag, take it out of the vacuum and tie a plastic bag over it and keep it in
the freezer until next time. The cold will kill fleas and eggs.

Think they would work on mice?!!

Pat

GPS for pet collars Cheryl Cat anecdotes 2 September 9th 06 06:05 AM
Cat collars... Enfilade Cat anecdotes 21 November 1st 04 10:55 AM
Missing collars John Biltz Cat anecdotes 7 January 9th 04 07:41 PM
Cat Collars Jeannie Cat health & behaviour 18 November 10th 03 10:50 PM
Rescue, when to take off flea collars? Joe Cats - misc 11 August 4th 03 01:25 PM