Lost a kitty today ... not Moses

Old August 11th 05, 07:07 AM
Gregory Bailey

Default Lost a kitty today ... not Moses

I posted earlier this year about our 14-year-old neutered black male
Moses, who we nearly lost to IBD before getting a handle on things with
proper food, medication, etc., helped by info I received from nice folks
here and elsewhere.

I mentioned at the time that we had another cat, Bartholemew, also a
14-year-old
neutered male, an orange tabby, who was the picture of health and had
never showed any IBD symptoms.

Over the last month or so, we started noticing that Bartholemew was
not eating
normally and appeared to be losing a bit of weight. It was noticeable
because we'd
been feeding him the same high-grade food we'd been feeding Moses, and
Bartholemew
actually got a bit pudgy on the diet.

In hindsight, we probably should've taken him to the vet right off,
but he's always been kind of a picky eater so we kept changing foods, etc.,
trying to find
something he'd like, and there were times when it appeared that he was
putting a bit of weight back on and he never did act obviously sick or
anything, in a lot of ways he was his usual frisky self.

However, over the last week to 10 days, he just about stopped eating
and did start
showing signs of being obviously sick, to the point of hiding from us
all day long and not coming out unless we dragged him out. He got emaciated
to the point
of looking skeletal, went from being a bit thin to having lost nearly
half his
body weight really, really fast.

So, we took him to the vet, they did the appropriate tests, exams,
X-rays, bloodwork, etc., and found that he was absolutely riddled with
cancer, definitely in the liver and most likely in the kidneys and gall
bladder as well, probably pretty much diffuse throughout his abdomen.

Our vet called this a.m. after discussing the case with some
colleagues and said that there were things that could be done to "make him
feel better" ... heavy
prednisone, a few other things ... but that it would only be pallative
treatment and that in the end, he would either lie down one day and die on
his own or we would have to have him euthanized. He said the best-case
scenario would be six months, but that in his judgment we'd be lucky to get
anywhere close to that.

My wife and I had already discussed this before the phone call ... he
was her cat and predated me on the scene; she got him from the pound when he
was a kitten and found out later that he was most likely only three weeks
old at the time, when the youngest age at which a cat is supposed to be
available for adoption is six weeks,
so if she hadn't have gotten him, he'd likely have been euthanized
within a matter of days, because he was sickly at the time and in fact
nearly died from intestinal problems right after she got him, and she nursed
him back to health. It's not registering with her now because she's
grief-stricken, but I've told her over and over and our vet pointed out the
same thing today, that she deserves a lot of credit for providing this cat
with 14 years of good life that he all but certainly would not have had
otherwise.

Anyway, she made the point when we talked that if we took these heroic
measures to try to buy him a few weeks, we'd be doing it for us, not for
him, and that we should end his sickness and suffering ... which we did
today.

So, we have only Moses now, and I just wanted to thank everyone for
the help they offered earlier this year, because we were within an eyelash
of losing him as
well, and now he's healthy and hearty and robust and hopefully we will
have him around for at least a few more years.

Old August 11th 05, 07:23 AM
Hailey

Gregory Bailey wrote:
[...]

(((((hugs)))) and =^..^= purrs from Tucker and Hailey.

I am so sorry. It hurts to be kind but you did the right thing and now
he's playing across the rainbow bridge and having the time of his life.
Pass the purrs on to your wife.

God bless
Hailey (and Tucker)
Old August 11th 05, 07:26 AM
-L.

Gregory Bailey wrote:
snip

I mentioned at the time that we had another cat, Bartholemew, also a
14-year-old
neutered male, an orange tabby, who was the picture of health and had
never showed any IBD symptoms.

snip

So sorry to hear of your loss. Please know you did the right thing. I
am sure he knows you loved him.

-L.

Old August 11th 05, 08:57 AM
Candace

Gregory Bailey wrote:

So, we have only Moses now, and I just wanted to thank everyone for
the help they offered earlier this year, because we were within an eyelash
of losing him as
well, and now he's healthy and hearty and robust and hopefully we will
have him around for at least a few more years.

I'm very sorry, it's a very diffficult decision to make and to know
when exactly to do it. He had a good life, never long enough for those
of us left to mourn them, but your pain will ease and you will remember
him with happiness. I feel certain we meet them again someday.

Candace

Old August 11th 05, 11:46 AM
Helen Miles

"Gregory Bailey" wrote in message
nk.net

Anyway, she made the point when we talked that if we took these heroic
measures to try to buy him a few weeks, we'd be doing it for us, not for
him, and that we should end his sickness and suffering ... which we did
today.///

I am so very sorry to hear this. Not only do you have my profound
sympathies, but you also have my deepest respect for thinking of him
rather than yourselves. We'll light a candle for his journey to the
Bridge & keep him in our thoughts.

Helen M

Old August 11th 05, 01:54 PM
Snittens

"Gregory Bailey" wrote in message
nk.net...
I posted earlier this year about our 14-year-old neutered black male
Moses, who we nearly lost to IBD before getting a handle on things with
proper food, medication, etc., helped by info I received from nice folks
here and elsewhere.

I mentioned at the time that we had another cat, Bartholemew, also a
14-year-old
neutered male, an orange tabby, who was the picture of health and had
never showed any IBD symptoms.

Oh no, I'm so sorry You have my sympathies. What a shock!

-Kelly

Old August 11th 05, 03:54 PM
Karen

Oh I am so sorry to hear this. IT's a amazing how quickly that can come on
My sincere condolences.

Old August 11th 05, 07:07 PM
mlbriggs

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 06:07:02 +0000, Gregory Bailey wrote:

[...]

"...rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go..." MLB

Old August 11th 05, 07:57 PM
Kitkat

Gregory Bailey wrote:

Anyway, she made the point when we talked that if we took these heroic
measures to try to buy him a few weeks, we'd be doing it for us, not for
him, and that we should end his sickness and suffering ... which we did
today.

This is so difficult. I am SO sorry for you, your wife and your precious
furbabe. Hugs, purrs, headbutts, all those warm and fuzzy things. Kitty
is no longer suffering and he has you to thank for that.

pam, luna and dudley

Moses update 2/19 Gregory Bailey Cat health & behaviour 2 February 20th 05 06:20 AM
Luck Kitty Rescue xxxxx Cats - misc 0 December 26th 04 10:02 PM
Pickles the kitty is lost in Boston,MA. JGart95484 Cat rescue 4 September 21st 04 03:24 AM
The Stray Kitty. (VERY LONG) Flippy Cat anecdotes 24 November 9th 03 10:48 PM