Royal Canin vs. Hill's k/d?

Old August 2nd 12, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default Royal Canin vs. Hill's k/d?

Bastette wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

I didn't know that declawing was still legal in Canada.
It should be illegal everywhere in a humane world.
Imagine having your fingerails plucked out just in case you decided to
damage the furniture.

If it were ONLY fingernails, it might not be so bad. (Think first
joints of all your fingers!)

It would still be inhumane even if it were only the claws, because *cats
have claws for a reason*! Claws are their main defense, and they also
allow a cat to climb up trees or other things to get away from danger
quickly. I don't know why people don't mention that when they talk about
declawing. I think that leaving them defenseless is the worst part of it.

Well, it certainly SHOULD at least mean they become de rigeur indoor
cats. But a lot of people let their declawed cats out, anyway - and
those I know of seem to have no difficulty climbing trees, even without
claws. (Fortunately they still have their teeth, declawing is usually
only the front feet, and a determined cat can disembowel a rather large
dog, if it gets proper purchase around the dog's neck with its front
legs, so its hind feet have the necessary access.)

Old August 2nd 12, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

I didn't know that declawing was still legal in Canada.
It should be illegal everywhere in a humane world.
Imagine having your fingerails plucked out just in case you decided to
damage the furniture.

If it were ONLY fingernails, it might not be so bad. (Think first
joints of all your fingers!)

It would still be inhumane even if it were only the claws, because *cats
have claws for a reason*! Claws are their main defense, and they also
allow a cat to climb up trees or other things to get away from danger
quickly. I don't know why people don't mention that when they talk about
declawing. I think that leaving them defenseless is the worst part of it.

Without claws, a high percentage of cats also develop arthritis and also
abnormalities. They cannot walk and exercise normally without their claws.
The change in their walking and posture (even stretching, as when
scratching) may not be obvious to us, but it will take its toll over the
years.

MaryL

That may or may not be true - certainly not in every case. My
Cendrillon seems to have no difficulty walking (although I have noticed
a slight limp, occasionally). She "kneads" and scratches at the
furniture like any normal cat, and can jump higher than any cat I've
ever had! (Like a standing jump from the floor to the top of a china
cabinet well over six feet tall, and way above my head.)
Old August 2nd 12, 11:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No, not in every case. That's why I said a "high percentage." You probably
would not even notice any difference in walking, but it has enough impact on
their skeletal structure that many cats develop arthritis at an earlier age
than would otherwise be expected. Just like with people who have
injury-induced arthritis, it usually is not possible to prove it in a
specific case.

MaryL

Old August 2nd 12, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

--

Do you have any idea why it is still legal in North America & Canada?
Is your furniture more precious than ours? Or do you think your vets like

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Second attempt -- once again, my first reply to you seems to have gone
astray. Basically, I said that I do not know why it is legal in the U.S.
and Canada (and also a few other countries) but not in most nations. I only
know that there is a long history illustrating this difference. Likewise, I
don't know why money would be more significant to vets in the U.S., but it
is my opinion that that is the reason why so many support the practice.
Fortunately, there is a growing number of vets who refuse to declaw--and
also of patients who will not patronize vets who do so. That is *not*
intended as a justification. It is a cruel and abominable practice.

MaryL

Old August 3rd 12, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One additional comment: Even in the U.S., there are far more cats with
claws than declawed cats. That is still far too many. In fact, *one* is
too many unless it is one of the rare cases where it is needed for medical
reasons.

MaryL

Old August 3rd 12, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I blame your vets for doing it, if they refused it would never happen

Old August 6th 12, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

chester has a script for the dry kd and all six of mine eat it, i get
treat/emergency cans of the two you mentioned plus a third brand i can't
recall... chester will eat anything so he is no judge... when dh first came
home from the hospital he got a can for storrmmee to give her a treat, he
got the kd which she refused to eat, its nine lives or nothing for her...
Lee
"jmcquown" wrote in message
I did wind up having the vet come out yesterday. Persia pooped outside the
litter box and also threw up in the bathroom (which she hasn't done in a
long time). Okay, distress signal! It's time to get the vet involved.

Thank goodness every room in this house has a door. I knew she'd run and
hide the minute they showed up. I closed off every door so the only place
she could go was in the living/dining room. As it is, I still had to drag
her out from under the sofa. She moves fast for an old girl I got her
out and the tech held her while they took blood and urine samples.
Needles! Poor Persia

They called me about an hour after they left here and had run the tests.
Persia is in early stage renal failure

Now she is to eat prescription wet food for kidney problems. I picked up
a few cans of each food today, the Royal Canin and the Hill's k/d. It was
suggested I try both to see which one she likes the best. When I got home
I gave her some of the Royal Canin. She didn't seem overly thrilled by it
but she ate it. I'll try some of the Hill's food this evening.

Obviously it will be up to Persia to decide which food she likes better.
I'm just wondering, if your cats eat either of these, which they prefer.

Jill