OT Stupid Tech Guy or Strangers in your Home when you have Cats

Old November 14th 18, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kitten

Default OT Stupid Tech Guy or Strangers in your Home when you have Cats

Every year, some things in the house get inspected, it's regulation.

First thing that bugged me, the guy decided on our appointment all by
himself, I had no notice, he just banged on the wooden shutters, rang the
bell as if to wake the dead and demanded to be let in.

Secondly, he looked at me as if I was joking, or as if I was the joke maybe,
when I offered him those plastic shoe covers, he caved when I said he could
choose brand new slippers instead.

He then became extremely familiar, as if we'd been raised together, that was
unusual and felt slightly uncomfortable, and condescending.
Whatever.

Thirdly, and the final part really got to me, he felt the need to comment on
the changes in my house and what he thought about them, he noticed I had
less cats, I explained how some changes to the room were due to my disabled
cat's departure, [comes the kick in the gut] to which he replied things
looked much better without the cat and her things, how he was pleased and
liked how I had tidied the place, how I should keep "trying".

Think what you want of me, tech guy [that's how he introduced himself], but
how dare you consider the departure of my beloved cat and the removal of all
her belongings a good thing happening.

There's still 6 cats in the house, cat pics on the wall, books about cats,
cat furniture in the lounge he walked through, and my insistance on not
leaving the door open to let the cats disappear outside, as "it would be the
end of me" those were my exact word [close enough translation anyway].
With all those clues, how could he miss the place the cats held in my life
and think I would welcome comments about my dead cat making the place look
better?
I don't care about what he thinks, I'm not inviting him in to be my life
partner, but I care about what he said.

I'm still annoyed 12hrs later.
It's progress since 8 hrs ago I was crying and angry, thinking about my poor
disabled cat and his comments.
Btw, the cat in question was Rat [who suffered from epilepsy and left a few
months ago].

Basically, it's "my house, my rules", "your house, your rules", and if I
don't like it, I don't enter your home, I don't see a problem with it.

Also, it's 2018, I'd hoped people were more aware of the wide variety of
cultures and beliefs out there, I don't expect you to embrace mine, nor for
you to want to learn about them or understand them, but at least respect
them, even just a bit, or pretend to a little, especially if you're on my
property, respect me and respect my home.

Have I finally lost it?
How would you have dealt with him?
Have you ever had similar encounters?

Old November 15th 18, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Nak

"Kitten" wrote in message news
[...]

It is YOUR house, YOUR rules. Not anyone's business unless it's unsafe.

My house is mostly for my cats too.
--
bill_n

Old November 15th 18, 02:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 11/14/2018 5:37 PM, Kitten wrote:
[...]

I honestly don't know what you're talking about. I don't have to have
anyone inspect my house. I've had service people come in - three this
year, two in the last month, at my request. One to service the HVAC
unit under service contract and another a plumber to repair a toilet,
also under service contract. I set the appointments. I have another
plumber coming on Friday to replace a faucet cartridge.

No one who comes into my house has any say about how many cats I have or
don't have. Nor do they get "familiar" with me. Where on earth do you
live?!

Jill
Old November 15th 18, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 11/14/2018 8:21 PM, Bill Nak wrote:

"Kitten"* wrote in message news
Every year, some things in the house get inspected, it's regulation.

Have I finally lost it?
How would you have dealt with him?
Have you ever had similar encounters?

It is YOUR house, YOUR rules.* Not anyone's business unless it's unsafe.

My house is mostly for my cats too.

I don't know about this inspection regulation Kitten is talking about.
I do notice posting from aioe which seems to be a haven for trolls.

Jill
Old November 15th 18, 02:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2018-11-14 10:11 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 11/14/2018 5:37 PM, Kitten wrote:
Every year, some things in the house get inspected, it's regulation.

snip
I honestly don't know what you're talking about.Â* I don't have to have
anyone inspect my house.Â* I've had service people come in - three this
year, two in the last month, at my request.Â* One to service the HVAC
unit under service contract and another a plumber to repair a toilet,
also under service contract.Â* I set the appointments.Â* I have another
plumber coming on Friday to replace a faucet cartridge.

No one who comes into my house has any say about how many cats I have or
don't have.Â* Nor do they get "familiar" with me.Â* Where on earth do you
live?!

I've had people in my place to check things out or fix them. Mostly,
they've been quite polite, and some of them like cats - or say they do!
I try to keep the cats out from underfoot, but Kerry in particular likes
inspecting the workmanship! One workman - I think it was the plumber -
said he liked cats so we were chatting about cats and I mentioned I had
two, but he probably wouldn't see Cinnamon who was a bit nervous and
always stayed in the bedroom, unlike Kerry, who was observing him very
closely. Of course, that was the one time Cinnamon ventured out to see
what was going on, making a liar of me!

--
Cheryl
Old November 15th 18, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 5:20:41 PM UTC-5, Kitten wrote:
[...]

I don't think Kitten is in the US. Here, if we own our home, we don't need to let ANYONE in to 'inspect' it. They would be told to bugger off, and get a warrant if they think it is necessary. If you rent, it is a different matter, and even then, the landlord has to make an appointment that is agreeable to you for it. You don't have to let them in if they just show up.
Old November 15th 18, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2018-11-15 11:55 a.m., Mishi wrote:

I don't think Kitten is in the US. Here, if we own our home, we don't need to let ANYONE in to 'inspect' it. They would be told to bugger off, and get a warrant if they think it is necessary. If you rent, it is a different matter, and even then, the landlord has to make an appointment that is agreeable to you for it. You don't have to let them in if they just show up.

I'm not in the US, but I think even there, in some more institutional
settings, there may be agreements in place to allow/require inspections,
but no, it's not normally the situation that you have to allow such
things. Well, another exception would be if the local city or town
authorities were concerned about whether the place was fit for
occupancy. They'd probably have the authority to require inspections.

At one point, my home insurance company required "voluntary and free"
safety inspections by one of their employees. Either it was an unpopular
or expensive option, because it didn't happen very often. No doubt I
could have refused access, but I was afraid I'd be put in the position
of finding a new insurance company (not that they threatened that) so I
went along with it.

--
Cheryl
Old November 15th 18, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 11/15/2018 10:53 AM, Cheryl wrote:
On 2018-11-15 11:55 a.m., Mishi wrote:

[...]

My homeowner's insurance company sends someone out once a year to make
sure the *outside* of the house isn't falling apart and that branches
from aren't growing into or touching the roof, which could cause damage.
That's merely to prevent fraudulent insurance claims. They do not
have the authority to come inside my house nor have they ever asked to.

Jill
Old November 16th 18, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan Mahoney[_2_]

On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 4:20:41 PM UTC-6, Kitten wrote:
[...]

I would have been hard pressed not to escort him out the door. And even harder pressed to let him leave without my boot up his ass.

Some people just don't get pets, let alone cats.

It is my firm belief that cat people are special. Maybe there are dog people just as devoted to their dogs as we are to our cats (now that I think about, my late brother was just as devoted to his dogs as I am to my cats). A lot of people "own pets", but very few of accept these creatures into our hearts just as solidly as human family member. I believe that we have a special gift, allowing us to see the love and the compassion that our furry loved ones offer to us and allowing us to offer the same in return.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your relationship to your cats, or with your reaction to memories of your departed ones, or with your reaction to that asshole. None whatsoever.

Dan
Old November 16th 18, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan Mahoney[_2_]

On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 7:41:13 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:
[...]

As a long time US renter, every place that I have rented I have had the landlord come over at least annually to inspect the property for damage. The village we live in now actually requires that landlords do so annually.