Espy in hospital (Phil, you around?)

Old July 12th 09, 12:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk[_2_]

Default Espy in hospital (Phil, you around?)

Bad. He was limping yesterday, rear left leg. It didn't appear to be a
saddle clot since it was warm and looked more like it hurt than that
he couldn't use it. Off to the specialty vet.

By way of review, he wouldn't eat two weeks back, the vet found
abnormal liver enzymes and a huge blocked bladder. Specialty vet says
he has a heart murmur. He was getting better since then and was just
about back to normal yesterday.

They found no apparent reason for the limp (he wouldn't even limp for
them - adrenalin rush I guess) and we were all set to go home. The
bladder was full however so I asked the vet if she could express it
just to make sure that there wasn't another blockage. Well, there was.
Half an hour later out comes the vet with a whopping bill covering the
next four days of care.

Minimum 1600, maximum 2300 if nothing else goes wrong. Really no
choice though. If I take him home, maybe he pees but maybe he dies. So
I held him a bit, already covered in alcohol. They look so pathetic
with the fur all plastered down. Then I left him.

Some minor good news. Last night, they were able to get a catheter in
him so the bladder is drained. Now Ihave to wait for more news. I
still don't know why the blockage is occuring though. If he needs a
prescription diet we're going to have a real problem because this is
one very picky eater.
Old July 12th 09, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Billy

Please review the abdominal xrays (there should be 2 views) and the
chest xray. Be sure there is no tumor in the area of the bladder
blocking or restricting normal urination when bladder is fuller, or in
the kidney area as well. With the vaugue and intermiddent symptoms and
the prices you should be getting definitive diagnosis and fast.

Also limping in hind legs and murmor potential could be both pointing to
heart related issues as well. These may be, or a consequence of another
primary condition.

What breed is espy, any Maine coon in him?

There is some type of vein or arterty that goes from the heart to liver
and both were brought up as possible issues. Ask the doc about these too
and any interconnection or relation to the food and excretion issues.

Good luck! keep us posted.

Old July 12th 09, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

Oh, I am so sorry he is sicker than they first thought. Phil will chime in
soon, I am sure. Poor baby, I know it was hard for you to leave him there.
The money you spend taking such good care of him will come back to you. I
will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. How old is Espy?

Old July 13th 09, 09:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"dgk" wrote in message
By way of review, he wouldn't eat two weeks back, the vet found
abnormal liver enzymes and a huge blocked bladder.

Were crystals or plugs found as the cause of the obstruction?
How was the obstruction relieved?
Was Espy catheterized during his first obstruction?

snip

The
bladder was full however so I asked the vet if she could express it
just to make sure that there wasn't another blockage. Well, there was.

What was causing the blockage?
Was a crystal or plug retreived?
Was the vet able to express Espy's bladder? -which isn't a good idea because
the bladder is very fragile when its overdistended and could rupture easily.

Anyway, if the vet was able to express Espy's bladder, then he probably
didn't have an actual outflow obstruction. You said during his previous
episode he had a "huge blocked bladder". I assume you meant his bladder
was overdistended. Overdistention can cause damage to the bladder detrusor
muscle by separating the tight junctions between the muscle fibers- kinda
like streching a sock. Loss of the tight junctions between muscle fibers
prevents the flow of motor nerve impulses that make the bladder contract.
So, even after the obstruction has been removed, the cat still can't
voluntarily empty his bladder. If this is the case, the only thing you can
do is keep his bladder empty so that the tight junctions can reform.

Another aftermath of an obstruction is urethral spasms- these can also
prevent a cat from urinating even though he doesn't have another
obstruction.

Another strong possibility is the vet might have damaged your cat's urethra
during catheterization- especially if he tried to reverse flush the urethra.

Best of luck,

Phil

Old July 13th 09, 01:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 08:51:38 GMT, "Phil P."
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

On the initial visit to my vet he expressed the bladder without a
catheter. Urinalysis showed (going by memory here) amporphus urate
crystals. The bladder was very large on the xray and he said that it
was impinging on other parts making it difficult to poop as well.

The specialty vet certainly used a catheter (two since I understand
Espy objected to the first one and dislodged it). I think they did
flush the bladder. The rest of the potential problems you mentioned
seem like the reason that they want to keep him four days.

I just spoke to my vet. He says that it is possible Espy will need to
have PU surgery. I guess that makes sense but I think he will never
forgive me. First I neuter him then cut off his penis. Going to be one
angry cat. I can't imagine what this is going to cost.

Espy has been transferred from ICU to the medicine division at the
Specialty vet. I'll talk to them later today. The really bad thing is
that I'm going away next Wednesday (not this one at least) and will be
gone for a week. I very well might need to board him at the vet.
Old July 13th 09, 01:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 19:49:03 +0000 (UTC), Billy
wrote:

Please review the abdominal xrays (there should be 2 views) and the
chest xray. Be sure there is no tumor in the area of the bladder
blocking or restricting normal urination when bladder is fuller, or in
the kidney area as well. With the vaugue and intermiddent symptoms and
the prices you should be getting definitive diagnosis and fast.

Also limping in hind legs and murmor potential could be both pointing to
heart related issues as well. These may be, or a consequence of another
primary condition.

What breed is espy, any Maine coon in him?

There is some type of vein or arterty that goes from the heart to liver
and both were brought up as possible issues. Ask the doc about these too
and any interconnection or relation to the food and excretion issues.

Good luck! keep us posted.

Espy is pure DSH. I don't know if anyone even took a chest Xray. I'll
be yelling about that later. I'll talk to the specialty vet around
10am ET and know more then.
Old July 13th 09, 01:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 17:44:26 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

He's only 7, maybe not even that.
Old July 13th 09, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"dgk" wrote

He's only 7, maybe not even that.

This gives him a better shot. What worries me, from the catheter story, is
that Phil may be right and the second vet may have damaged his urethra.

Old July 13th 09, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

dgk wrote:

The really bad thing is that I'm going
away next Wednesday (not this one at
least) and will be gone for a week. I
very well might need to board him at the
vet.

If it were my cat I would not go on the trip. Espy will really need you
to be there for him.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')