When is it ok to fix a pregnant Queen?

Old October 9th 03, 11:47 PM
Mike Romain

Default When is it ok to fix a pregnant Queen?

Ok....

We got left this nice little outdoor black and white by a tenant in our
basement that disappeared.

She was quite pregnant it would seem as she had kittens shortly after.

This was in April of this year. She hadn't even finished weaning that
batch and was obviously pregnant again.

Well she is still milking the last 2 of a 5 batch and is very obviously
knocked up again!

Man oh man....

Is it ok to have her fixed when she is still milking or when she is
pregnant?

I mean, I don't mind the kittens, they are neat and we always have folks
that want them because the mother is such a sweetheart, but enough is
enough....

She is bringing 3 or 4 mice in a day for the kittens to play with and
they lose some of them. Came out this morning with 2 mice sitting on my
recliner chair. Quite alive and fast to scoot too.

Thanks for your opinions,

Mike
Old October 10th 03, 12:33 AM
Cheryl

In ,
Mike Romain composed with style:

Old October 10th 03, 12:38 AM
Cheryl

In ,
Mike Romain composed with style:

Is it ok to have her fixed when she is still milking or when she is
pregnant?

To a lot of people this is a very moral question, and hard to answer.
So the last litter was born in April and they are still nursing? If I
read that right, then they don't need to be still nursing on mom and
if you feel ok about it, she can be spayed now. Some vets will do
this, some others won't. Check with a rescue group if you have one
locally for a recommendation for one that will. I personally feel
this is the best option since you may never get her in between litters
and not pregnant.

Old October 10th 03, 02:26 AM
Mike Romain

Cheryl wrote:

In ,
Mike Romain composed with style:

Is it ok to have her fixed when she is still milking or when she is
pregnant?

To a lot of people this is a very moral question, and hard to answer.
So the last litter was born in April and they are still nursing? If I
read that right, then they don't need to be still nursing on mom and
if you feel ok about it, she can be spayed now. Some vets will do
this, some others won't. Check with a rescue group if you have one
locally for a recommendation for one that will. I personally feel
this is the best option since you may never get her in between litters
and not pregnant.

I didn't state that clear, sorry.

This is her second litter since April and these ones are more than ready
to go, I am holding onto one for a friend that needs to move first and
the last one doesn't have a 'good' taker just yet. Interest from some
young folks, but in my opinion they aren't stable enough or know enough
of what they are getting into to own a cat.

One person who was living stable wanted to cut the kittens toes off!
Shudder, she didn't get one.... In my opinion, if you can't train your
animal, then you shouldn't own one, but that is a different thread....

The first 3 of this batch got taken as soon as they hit solid food. The
people (families) didn't want to wait any longer.

I personally didn't/don't think spaying is a good thing while nursing or
pregnant, but don't know what is safe to do.

And yup, it sure doesn't seem like I can catch her in-between.....

I tried to lock her down in the house when the first litter was still
very young and she was acting like she was in heat, but she went nuts on
us and would bolt out the door and refuse to come back in when her
kittens needed milk, so we gave up. The kitten's health was more
important.

Mike

Old October 10th 03, 03:29 AM
Karen

in article , Mike Romain at
wrote on 10/9/03 8:26 PM:

Cheryl wrote:

[...]

We had a cat spayed while still having milk and it went fine.

Karen

Old October 10th 03, 04:13 AM
-L.

Mike Romain wrote in message ...
Ok....

We got left this nice little outdoor black and white by a tenant in our
basement that disappeared.

She was quite pregnant it would seem as she had kittens shortly after.

This was in April of this year. She hadn't even finished weaning that
batch and was obviously pregnant again.

Well she is still milking the last 2 of a 5 batch and is very obviously
knocked up again!

Man oh man....

Is it ok to have her fixed when she is still milking or when she is
pregnant?

Let her wean the kittens before doing the surgery. They can be weaned
at 8 weeks. She can be spayed right up until delivery (the kittens
are usualy euthanized), but IMO, if she is a few weeks from delivery,
let her have the babies and then wean them, before spaying her.

-L.