OT do any of you have sleep apnea

Old August 5th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default OT do any of you have sleep apnea

I just got diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea just wondering if any of
you suffer from anything like this?

I got to go in and see what can be done. It can be surgery or the mask
maybe medication.

Just wondering anyone else experiences

Old August 5th 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote

|I just got diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea just wondering if any of
| you suffer from anything like this?
|
| I got to go in and see what can be done. It can be surgery or the mask
| maybe medication.

My ex had it. He was able to sleep soundly by laying on his side, and I made
sure he did that. You might need to arrange a bunch of pillows to keep you
from rolling onto your back.

When he laid on his back to sleep, he would snort all night and keep me
awake and he was like a zombie all day long. He even fell asleep driving, so
whenever we went out together in a car, I would drive. But he would fall
asleep in the passenger seat, which made ME sleepy!

Eventually we learned that he had sleep apnea and he finally admitted that
sleeping on his side was the best idea, even though he preferred to sleep on
his back.

Old August 5th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

My son in law is 45 and has this. He sleeps with the machine and my
daughter in law likes it that way. She she got no sleep waiting for him to
breath again after what like seems forever. They didn't want to do the
surgery so the machine was the next step for him.. He said it took some
getting used to but even when he is here, it isn't a problem.

g.com...

Old August 5th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 13:37:19 -0400, Matthew wrote:

I just got diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea just wondering if any of
you suffer from anything like this?

I got to go in and see what can be done. It can be surgery or the mask
maybe medication.

Just wondering anyone else experiences

I do ... when I'm on my back, otherwise, mostly not. I have no problem
staying on my right side and use an extra pillow as a prop when on my
left. Various cats help my chocking various parts of my body so as to
prevent rolling (sleeping on my side leaves more room for them).

--
T.E.D. )

Old August 5th 08, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=`

Dutch (DH) has had sleep apnea for over 20 years and uses the machine, which
helps him breathe, and stops the snoring.
www.sleepapnea.org is one link I found on Yahoo that might help.
Kyla

Old August 5th 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lorraine

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 13:37:19 -0400, "Matthew"
wrote:

I just got diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea just wondering if any of
you suffer from anything like this?

I got to go in and see what can be done. It can be surgery or the mask
maybe medication.

Surgery does not have a very high success rate, and in fact, has been
known to make things worse. Depends where the obstruction actually is.

Machine for me, and I have a love/hate relationship with it. Some
nights it bothers me that I have to use it, but at the same time I
wouldn't think about not using it. When I start getting an attitude
about it, I just tell myself that I die a little bit every time I sleep
without it.

The best place for information on the internet is
http://www.cpaptalk.com . There is a very knowledgeable group of people
there who are very proactive about their treatment. Most there have a
very high rate of compliance because they have worked at taking care of
the roadblocks.

Good luck,
L.
Old August 5th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Matthew wrote:
I just got diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea just wondering if
any of you suffer from anything like this?

I got to go in and see what can be done. It can be surgery or the
mask maybe medication.

Just wondering anyone else experiences

John's got it. He uses the C-pap machine (mask).

Jill
Old August 5th 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Matthew wrote:

I just got diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea just wondering if any of
you suffer from anything like this?

Matthew, I was diagnosed 10 years ago, with very mild obstructive sleep
apnea. I did get a CPAP, used it for about a year, and discovered that
the improvement in my sleep was so minimal that it wasn't worth the trouble,
so I stopped using it.

However, it's now 10 years later, which means I'm 10 years older. And
I'm noticing that I'm a lot more tired, especially in the morning. I can't
wake up right away, and this definitely interferes with things, such as
getting to work on time. :-/

So I began to suspect the sleep apnea was getting worse, but the clincher
came when I shared a hotel room with my sister about a month ago, and she
told me that I stopped breathing many times during sleep, plus I snored,
made high whistling noises, gasping noises, etc. She's a physician's
assistant, so her opinion has a bit more weight than the average person's,
and the first thing she said to me when I woke up was "You have sleep
apnea."

I had a sleep study last week, actually. However, the next day I got a
call from Kaiser (my *former* HMO) to tell me that "they lost a connection"
and weren't able to retrieve any data. GRRRRR! So I have to do it over
again. However, as of last Friday, I am now on a PPO health plan, and will
try to get it done properly. Will let you know the results!

I got to go in and see what can be done. It can be surgery or the mask
maybe medication.

I recently heard about surgery. Someone was telling me her father had
the surgery (laser surgery) and he slept like a baby afterward - no CPAP.
It apparently doesn't work for everyone - depends on the type of obstruction.
Surgery is more invasive, but in the long run, a lot more convenient if you
don't need a CPAP. On the other hand, surgery is much more expensive than
a CPAP, so your insurance company might deny it.

I didn't know there was medication for sleep apnea!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 5th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lorraine wrote:

Machine for me, and I have a love/hate relationship with it. Some
nights it bothers me that I have to use it, but at the same time I
wouldn't think about not using it. When I start getting an attitude
about it, I just tell myself that I die a little bit every time I sleep
without it.

Lorraine,

You might see my post to Matthew about this, but in case not, I had a
CPAP about 10 years ago when I was diagnosed with a rather mild case of
sleep apnea. I used the machine for a year, and did not find a significant
improvement in my sleep quality. I also had issues with "attitude".

My biggest issue, actually, wasn't wearing the mask, but *cleaning* it.
I had a humidifier, an absolute necessity (without it I would wake up
feeling like someone had scrubbed my bronchia with sandpaper). The downside
is that this means that water gets in the hose, mask, etc., and that can
cause mold or mildew to grow. VERY BAD for the lungs. So I had to soak
the hose and mask in vinegar once a week, which was a real pain in the
butt. Especially since I didn't even feel noticeably better.

Also, being single, I felt that the mask might be a bit of a drag on my
love life. I kept imagining the first night with someone new, putting
the mask on... kind of kills the mystery, you know? At least, that's how
I felt 10 years ago. Now, it's probably less of an issue. For one thing,
the condition is now more commonly recognized and diagnosed, so lots more
people have CPAPs than had them 10 years ago. So it's not such a weird
thing anymore. And secondly, since I'm 10 years older, the dating pool I
would be looking in would also be older, and more of us are likely to
have medical problems of one sort or another. So we'd probably cut each
other a bit more slack about unsexy things like CPAP masks.

At this point, I feel like my apnea has gotten worse, and I recently
had confirmation from my sister, who heard me sleeping and told me I
should get it checked out. I have a new health plan and have not yet
started looking for a doctor. I need to do that ASAP so I can make sure
not to get an interruption in my regular meds, etc. And also to get
a referral for a sleep study!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 6th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default To everyone thanks for the replies

wrote in message
Matthew wrote:

[...]

According to the web there is but there are so many different versions.
Mine might involve removing my tonsils ]
The looks like there are alternative to it

To everyone thanks for the replies

I have done the first study now comes the fun part I have seen the new
machine and Joyce you definitely need to look at a newer model that your
insurance covers

It is a lot to sink in I already changed doctor about this the last one
said lose some weight that is the cause I told him this was going on way
before I gained the weight. He said that can't be possible I asked did you
look at my chart. He gave me one of those deer in the head light looks. I
said see ya Don't need to prove anything I say to a stranger that is an
idiot. About as bad as the last time I was in the hospital and the idiot
Doc tried to give me penicillin Even though In big red letter allergic to
penicillin and penicillin based products.