Hooked Up the Hose...

Old August 17th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Hooked Up the Hose...

Heard frantic calls from the Cardinals again this morning and rushed out to
find one of the neighbors' cats climbing that tree to get at the baby birds
again. I chased him away. Momma and Papa birds immediately flew back to
the tree. They realize I'm on their side, they didn't care that I was
standing right next to it

I found a spare hose in the garage and hooked it up to the spigot right next
to the tree. I guess being vigilent and blasting them with water is my only
option. I hope the neighbor doesn't get mad when one or both of them come
home dripping wet. Do you think I should tell her my intentions first?

Jill

Old August 17th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 17, 9:25�am, "jmcquown" wrote:
Heard frantic calls from the Cardinals again this morning and rushed out to
find one of the neighbors' cats climbing that tree to get at the baby birds
again. �I chased him away. �Momma and Papa birds immediately flew back to
the tree. �They realize I'm on their side, they didn't care that I was
standing right next to it

I found a spare hose in the garage and hooked it up to the spigot right next
to the tree. �I guess being vigilent and blasting them with water is my only
option. �I hope the neighbor doesn't get mad when one or both of them come
home dripping wet. �Do you think I should tell her my intentions first?

Jill

Tough call, Jill. If I knew the neighbors pretty well, I might tell
them. If not, I'm not sure.
You just can't tell how people will react. :-) I'm glad Mom and Dad
cardinal have you
for a bodyguard though.
I remember once when we lived in the city we wrapped the trunk of a
tree in a thin
sheet of plexiglass to keep the neighborhood cats away. (this was a
pretty small trunk,
and a tree with no low branches, and it was in *our* yard. So I
realize that probably won't
be the answer for you.)

Maybe if you squirt him just once or twice he'll remember, and stay
away. Probably not. Instinct
is probably too strong in a cat to "learn" when it comes to baby
birds.
Sherry
Old August 17th 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Sherry wrote:
On Aug 17, 9:25�am, "jmcquown" wrote:
Heard frantic calls from the Cardinals again this morning and
rushed out to find one of the neighbors' cats climbing that tree to
get at the baby birds again. �I chased him away. �Momma and Papa
birds immediately flew back to the tree. �They realize I'm on their
side, they didn't care that I was standing right next to it

I found a spare hose in the garage and hooked it up to the spigot
right next to the tree. �I guess being vigilent and blasting them
with water is my only option. �I hope the neighbor doesn't get mad
when one or both of them come home dripping wet. �Do you think I
should tell her my intentions first?

Tough call, Jill. If I knew the neighbors pretty well, I might tell
them. If not, I'm not sure.
You just can't tell how people will react. :-)

True, but I guess I'd better give her a heads up just in case. I may have
to buy a sprinkler and set it at the base of the tree (the yard has an
automatic sprinkler system; obviously I can't run that all day every day).
I can't stand guard all day long

Jill

Old August 17th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:
Sherry wrote:
[...]

It would be good if it was possible to trigger the sprinkler with a movement
detector, pity it's not practicle.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 17th 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Adrian wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
Sherry wrote:
[...]

They actually make such a thing. Google Scarecrow Sprinklers! They aren't
cheap, though.

Jill

Old August 17th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Aug 17, 12:04 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Adrian wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
Sherry wrote:
[...]

Couldn't the Cardinals just excommunicate them?

Sorry. Back to reading.

--
Will in New Haven
Old August 18th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Not funny so far as the birds go but FUNNY WILL, good one!!
Adrian wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
Sherry wrote:
[...]

puzzles online... dang, got me hooked... Christine K. Cat anecdotes 5 November 8th 07 08:15 PM
hang a pair of panty hose over his fireplace C&C Dave Gerecke Cat anecdotes 4 December 23rd 05 07:55 PM
All Hooked Up jmcquown Cat anecdotes 5 July 7th 05 02:59 AM
Cat hooked on hairball remedy treats? Al puzzuoli Cat health & behaviour 2 July 15th 04 08:55 AM