Buffy Update 4/17/21

Old April 17th 21, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Buffy Update 4/17/21

After the teeth extractions yesterday I was able to squirt the liquid
pain medication into her mouth last evening. I had some trepidations
about hurting her holding her jaw but it worked out fine. She felt much
better about 10 minutes later!

She still hadn't eaten anything. Fortunately, the liquid pain meds
didn't make her sick to her stomach. She got down off the bed in the
middle of the night and ate some of her gooshy food. She was hungry for
more this morning! Again, not sick to her stomach. Good!

She gets more of the pain meds tonight (for the next four days) but I
don't anticipate any medicating problems. whew!

I can tell she's already feeling better.

Jill
Old April 18th 21, 02:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2021-04-17 3:40 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
After the teeth extractions yesterday I was able to squirt the liquid
pain medication into her mouth last evening.Â* I had some trepidations
about hurting her holding her jaw but it worked out fine.Â* She felt much
better about 10 minutes later!

She still hadn't eaten anything.Â* Fortunately, the liquid pain meds
didn't make her sick to her stomach.Â* She got down off the bed in the
middle of the night and ate some of her gooshy food.Â* She was hungry for
more this morning!Â* Again, not sick to her stomach.Â* Good!

She gets more of the pain meds tonight (for the next four days) but I
don't anticipate any medicating problems. whew!

I can tell she's already feeling better.

It sounds like she's doing really well. And I'm glad she's eating - it's
so important to keep cats eating. One of my late cats spent a couple
days in a vet hospital after successful surgery, they were initially
reluctant to let her out because she wasn't eating. I proudly told the
vet later that I got her to eat as soon as she was home - her favourite
treat, Vienna sausages. The vet said that although she didn't recommend
Vienna sausages as a regular diet, the important thing was that she was
eating something! She rapidly progressed to meat baby food, then pureed
boiled chicken (much cheaper than the baby food equivalent) and finally
back on her regular food. It sounds like Buffy is well on her way back
to a healthy diet!

--
Cheryl
Old April 18th 21, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 4/18/2021 9:09 AM, Cheryl wrote:
On 2021-04-17 3:40 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
[...]

LOL about the Vienna sausages! Buffy has been on prescription food
since January due to a bladder stone. (Thankfully the change in her
food did the trick so no surgery to remove the stone was required.)
After the teeth extractions on Friday she's feeling a heck of a lot
better, albeit her mouth is sore. She did fight me a bit last night
when it came time to squirt the pain med in her mouth. She got mad and
hid for a while, then joined me on the couch for some snuggles and
scritches.

Jill
Old April 19th 21, 11:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2021-04-18 11:21 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 4/18/2021 9:09 AM, Cheryl wrote:

It sounds like she's doing really well. And I'm glad she's eating -
it's so important to keep cats eating. One of my late cats spent a
couple days in a vet hospital after successful surgery, they were
initially reluctant to let her out because she wasn't eating. I
proudly told the vet later that I got her to eat as soon as she was
home - her favourite treat, Vienna sausages. The vet said that
although she didn't recommend Vienna sausages as a regular diet, the
important thing was that she was eating something! She rapidly
progressed to meat baby food, then pureed boiled chicken (much cheaper
than the baby food equivalent) and finally back on her regular food.
It sounds like Buffy is well on her way back to a healthy diet!

LOL about the Vienna sausages!Â* Buffy has been on prescription food
since January due to a bladder stone.Â* (Thankfully the change in her
food did the trick so no surgery to remove the stone was required.)
After the teeth extractions on Friday she's feeling a heck of a lot
better, albeit her mouth is sore.Â* She did fight me a bit last night
when it came time to squirt the pain med in her mouth.Â* She got mad and
hid for a while, then joined me on the couch for some snuggles and
scritches.

That sounds like an improvement! Cinnamon is on medication for her bad
kidneys. It does taste disgusting - she managed to spit it in my face
once, which is how I managed to taste a few drops on my lips. I didn't
think for a minute of mixing it with her food; I use a syringe to squirt
it in her mouth. I started off doing this first thing in the morning. It
took hardly any mornings at all before I noticed that she vanished,
sometimes for hours, as soon as I took out the syringe and medication.
It's not that big an apartment, so I know where she usually hides, but
getting her out from under the bed is hard, and from INSIDE the loveseat
is worse. So I now prepare the syringe and wait until she emerges to
catch her and dose her. It's a kind of battle of wits that lasts until I
scoop her up, try to restrain her paws and hold her head in the right
position, nudge open her mouth, squirt the medicine far enough back that
it doesn't dribble down her chin or end up in my face when she tries to
spit it out, and then she bounces down to the floor and runs to the
other end of the apartment just in case I want to do it again.

--
Cheryl
Old April 21st 21, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 4/20/2021 6:28 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
jmcquown wrote:
After the teeth extractions yesterday I was able to squirt the liquid
pain medication into her mouth last evening. I had some trepidations
about hurting her holding her jaw but it worked out fine. She felt much
better about 10 minutes later!

She still hadn't eaten anything. Fortunately, the liquid pain meds
didn't make her sick to her stomach. She got down off the bed in the
middle of the night and ate some of her gooshy food. She was hungry for
more this morning! Again, not sick to her stomach. Good!

She gets more of the pain meds tonight (for the next four days) but I
don't anticipate any medicating problems. whew!

I can tell she's already feeling better.

Jill

Hi Jill. Sorry I haven't been here or sending purrs. Poor Buffy. I hate
teeth. I hope she's feeling a lot better. how is she doing?

Judith

Much better, thanks! One last syringe of pain med to squirt in her
mouth and I have to schedule a follow-up visit so they can check on how
her mouth is healing but she seems to be much improved.

Jill
Old April 23rd 21, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Michael Ejercito

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

You'd be doing yourself and that poor cat a favor if you would just
put it in a burlap bag and hook it up to the car exhaust. Think of the
money you'd save on vet bills, and the cat would be out of its'
misery. It's a win-win situation.

Michael
Old April 24th 21, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk[_4_]

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Luko and Prince apologize the group for the ruckus they are about to
start.

Prince grins, 'sort of' with a wide toothy mouth then grabs the
intruder troll by the jaw, clamping down and tossing him over his
shoulder to land in a pathetic pile on the ground. Luko quick to act,
jumps on his face and takes a long satisfying pee then props his broken
jaw open and lets number 2 loose.

After a bit of gagging on the trolls part, Prince takes pity on the
troll and drags him to the gate and tosses him over it. He meant to hit
the trash can but he misses and the troll lands on his head beside it.
Oh well.

Luko and Prince ask politely after that little bit is over if Jill
would be ok with telling Miss Buffy they hope she feels better today?
Oh, and they are always ready to take out the trash at need!

Prince bows in a very gentlemanly way, like only a Great Dane can
manage, and lets himself out the gate. On the way he notes the troll,
and picks him up and puts him the the trashcan then rolls it out to the
street since it's a bit heavy for Miss Jill. She can always dump trash
in it until pickup day.