Fairly sure

Old January 7th 12, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Fairly sure

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
People normall lose their sense of smell with age

They don't to any great extent, unless they're developing something
like Alzheimers:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/75986.php

Some other causes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anosmia

I've looked all that up, Jack, while I was waiting for my appointment, but
thanks, anyway.

Consultant says I don't have early Alzheimers phew
Tweed

I understand your relief. I've been worrying about that because of some
recent memory problems. My doctor gave me a test and said I don't either.

Joy

Old January 8th 12, 02:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
People normall lose their sense of smell with age

They don't to any great extent, unless they're developing something
like Alzheimers:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/75986.php

Some other causes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anosmia

I've looked all that up, Jack, while I was waiting for my appointment,
but thanks, anyway.

Consultant says I don't have early Alzheimers phew
Tweed

I understand your relief. I've been worrying about that because of some
recent memory problems. My doctor gave me a test and said I don't either.

Joy

Saw something in the last few days on TV that said recent reseach has proved
that memory deterioration starts in the early 40's which is earlier than
previously thought.
My memory is not great, it seems to be selective. However it's not as bad
as my cousin's, who is 9 months older than me and we're still not regarded
as old enough to have significant problems in that department. She's had
extensive tests because she was so concerned, and the conclusion was that,
as a mother of 8, and loads of grandchildren calling on her time, plus
running a large retirement home with her mobile phone ringing every few
minutes with emergencies there, her brain was just too full with too much to
process and all unnecessary stuff was removed. In other words, she was/is
trying to do too much. Sounds reasonable to me. I doubt she'll stop doing
what she does, though, which is being on the go what seems to be 7/7, 15
hours a day.
Tweed

Old January 8th 12, 03:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On 2012-01-06, Christina Websell wrote:

I try not to feel guilty. I've worked all my life, paid in to the NHS
plenty and that's what it's for.

Of course, what you've paid in went to someone who needed it then. Be
grateful to those healthy people who are paying for you now.

I suddenly went deaf in my left ear a long time ago. After studies to rule
out a dangerous cause like a brain tumor, they decided it was a virus.
Unfortunately there wasn't an effective treatment. Most of my hearing did
return after a long while.

Bud
Old January 9th 12, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

My memory is definitely selective too, and I have no say in what I do or
don't remember.

I really think one of the problems is that nowadays we are constantly
bombarded by information, and our brains may have the capacity to remember
it all, but they don't seem to have the ability to determine what is or is
not worth remembering.

Joy

Old January 22nd 12, 02:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

i sure hope this all works out, Lee
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
It's not too much to worry about but I lost my
sense of taste and smell in August. It can be a sign of brain tumour and
it's possible with my history of ovarian ca and the "washings of my
peritineum fluid" showed abnormal cells which could land anywhere in the
future.
I'm going to the ear, nose, and throat dept at the hospital tomorrow to
have it investigated.
I'm fairly sure it's from a big bad cold I had, but I'd appreciate any
purrs and prayers that it is nothing worse.

The problem of previously having Ca is that anything can come from it. I
was pretty lucky to survive what I had.
The docs told me I wouldn't.

Tweed

Old January 22nd 12, 05:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
It's not too much to worry about but I lost my
sense of taste and smell in August. It can be a sign of brain tumour and
it's possible with my history of ovarian ca and the "washings of my
peritineum fluid" showed abnormal cells which could land anywhere in the
future.
I'm going to the ear, nose, and throat dept at the hospital tomorrow to
have it investigated.
I'm fairly sure it's from a big bad cold I had, but I'd appreciate any
purrs and prayers that it is nothing worse.

The problem of previously having Ca is that anything can come from it. I
was pretty lucky to survive what I had.
The docs told me I wouldn't.

Tweed

Mega purrs on the way. Have you been taking some over the counter cold
medications? There are some in the U.S. which allegedly having side affects
such as not being able to taste anything. Be sure to tell them everything
you've taken for your cold.

Jill

- - - - - - - - - - -

Yes, zinc is one of them (in either cold medication or supplements).

MaryL

Old January 22nd 12, 03:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Sherry" wrote in message

My father was very fortunate...he had ears like a bat
until the day he died, and 20/20 eyesight, he used to get very annoyed
when the doctors and nurses yelled at him, assuming that just because
he was old, he could't' hear.

Sherry

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

That' what happened to my mother. She had the sharpest hearing of anyone I
knew until she died at the age of 91. She lived with me, and I was her sole
caregiver for five years. She became more and more weak and fragile, but
not her hearing. I had to place her in a nursing when she became completely
disabled because I could not lift and turn her. She lived there for almost
six more years. It was very annoying to her when nurses and aides would
lean over her bed and *yell* at her. I kept telling them that Mother had
good hearing, but they did not seem to believe me. The changed their minds
one day when two of them stood outside in the hall and whispered to each
other--and Mother told them what they had just said "in confidence" when
they came into her room. After that, they talked to her in a normal tone.

On cats: Duffy and Holly both have incredibly acute hearing, despite passing
years (11 for Duffy and 16 for Holly). If I hold one on my lap and make
little loving noises, the other will invariably come running.

MaryL

Old January 23rd 12, 05:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jan 22, 9:27*am, "MaryL" wrote:
"Sherry" *wrote in message

[...]

I bet Duffy has extremely acute hearing, to make up for his lack of
vision. I've always
heard that the other senses become more sensitive that way with
people, so it makes
sense for cats, too!

Sherry
Old January 23rd 12, 05:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

On cats: Duffy and Holly both have incredibly acute hearing, despite passing
years (11 for Duffy and 16 for Holly). *If I hold one on my lap and make
little loving noises, the other will invariably come running.

MaryL

I bet Duffy has extremely acute hearing, to make up for his lack of
vision. I've always
heard that the other senses become more sensitive that way with
people, so it makes sense for cats, too!

I've read that this happens because the unused parts of the visual
cortex (part of the brain that interprets visual input) start getting
used by other functions such as hearing. Brain recycling - I like it.

--
Joyce

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you
come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people
who have come alive." -- Howard Thurman
Old January 23rd 12, 06:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

not true, they are utilized more because of the lack of imput from the
missing sense, but they aren't better or more sensitive, Lee