A question about feeding canned food...

Old September 14th 04, 02:48 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

If the cats are healthy and without kidney issues, I'd rather feed a
higher phosphorus canned diet than lower phosphorus dry food. There is
no evidence that somewhat higher phosphorus levels than the Hill's Gods
dictate note intense sarcasm here ;-) are harmful to healthy cats.
It's becomes a concern with kidney failure (which may be postponed or
avoided by feeding a canned diet). If you look at the phosphorus content
of a mouse, it's higher than cat food. The constant state of dehydration
that occurs as a result of feeding dry food is, IMO, much more harmful.

Thanks.

I think we're going to go with a variety of wet food in the morning and
afternoon and leave them some dry overnight. Hopefully over time they'll
learn to like the better quality wet, but in the meantime, I want them to get
good nutrition, so I'll let them have some dry. Plus, I think it's good for
them to have to chew once in a while. *G*
They can get the water content of the wet and the nutrition of the dry for
now.

I sure wish I could talk to them and bribe them with treats for eating the
good stuff. *smiles*

You know, why is it the higher-quality wet looks like paste and the lower-
quality wet is all full of gravy and looks almost good enough for me to eat?
Well, not really, but you know what I mean. *heh*
No wonder they prefer the Fancy Feast. The good stuff sure doesn't look very
good, and it doesn't smell very good, either. If I were a cat, I'd probably
refuse to eat it, too.

~kaeli~
The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully
recovered.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old September 14th 04, 04:46 PM
Steve Crane

wrote in message ...
Kaeli wrote:
Interestingly enough, after looking at the
dry food info, the dry they like has less
phosphorous per serving than the canned
that they like. This seems to indicate to
me that it's better for their kidneys and
urinary tract to eat the dry that they like
more than the wet that they like. What do
you think?

If the cats are healthy and without kidney issues, I'd rather feed a
higher phosphorus canned diet than lower phosphorus dry food. There is
no evidence that somewhat higher phosphorus levels than the Hill's Gods
dictate note intense sarcasm here ;-) are harmful to healthy cats.
It's becomes a concern with kidney failure (which may be postponed or
avoided by feeding a canned diet). If you look at the phosphorus content
of a mouse, it's higher than cat food. The constant state of dehydration
that occurs as a result of feeding dry food is, IMO, much more harmful.

Megan

Of course I disagree.
1. Renal failure is the second most common cause of disease death in
cats.

2. Detection of renal failure is always waaaaay too late. If you are
having an ERD test done annually after 5 years of age, then fine you
are keeping informed of relevatn risk. Unfortunately nobody is doing
that. Heska hasn't sold enough ERD kits to test the cats in
Pouhkeepsie, much less anywhere else in the country.

3. In a proceedings to be published later this Fall Dr. Beynen takes a
very good look at a huge population of cats in Norway. Those cats with
renal failure detected very early were fed different foods. Those fed
a low phosphorus renal food lived 23 months longer than those that
were fed a moderate phosphorus food.

4. 30% of cats over age 15 will suffer from imparied renal function
and kidney failure. (AC Beynen again)

Here's the decision you must make.
Do I feed a food with excesses of phosphorus in order to justify some
other emotional need/desire/preference I have, even when that
need/desire/preference cannot be proven to show any benefit?

Am I lucky enough to have a crystal ball like Saruman and can see into
the future to know which cat of mine will be the eventual victim of
renal failure?

Old September 14th 04, 04:47 PM

Kaeli wrote:

I think we're going to go with a variety
of wet food in the morning and afternoon
and leave them some dry overnight.

If you stop leaving dry food out at night your cats will start eating
all the canned you give them because they won't have been snacking all
night and will have a good appetitie. It does take a little time while
you're transitioning but they figure it out.

Hopefully over time they'll learn to
like the better quality wet, but in the
meantime, I want them to get good
nutrition, so I'll let them have some
dry. Plus, I think it's good for them to
have to chew once in a while. *G*

Giving them some cooked chicken hearts and gizzards will accomplish this
much better and won't leave a starchy goo stuck to their teeth. :-)

They can get the water content of the
wet and the nutrition of the dry for
now.
I sure wish I could talk to them and
bribe them with treats for eating the
good stuff. *smiles*
You know, why is it the higher-quality
wet looks like paste and the lower-
quality wet is all full of gravy and
looks almost good enough for me to eat?
Well, not really, but you know what I
mean. *heh* No wonder they prefer the
Fancy Feast. The good stuff sure doesn't
look very good, and it doesn't smell
very good, either. If I were a cat, I'd
probably refuse to eat it, too.

What is your definition of good stuff? I think you mentioned SD, and IMO
it is pretty disgusting. :-P Nutro used to be fairly decent but they
moved to least cost formulation and now the food is icky. I've spent a
lot of time researching canned foods to find some that are high quality
that my cats will like. Frankly, there's just not a lot of brands out
there that meet my standards, but fortunately there are just enough that
I can give my cats excellent nutrition and variety.

If you have an opportunity get some Wellness and try it. That stuff
smells really good and is one of the best quality foods I've found. I
also like Felidae and Innova, and Precise isn't too bad either. Solid
Gold makes a tuna canned food that is great for treats but I wouldn't
feed it regularly. And they all smell really good!

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old September 14th 04, 05:09 PM
GAUBSTER2

If you have an opportunity get some Wellness and try it. That stuff
smells really good and is one of the best quality foods I've found. I
also like Felidae and Innova, and Precise isn't too bad either. Solid
Gold makes a tuna canned food that is great for treats but I wouldn't
feed it regularly. And they all smell really good!

....all of which are "all life stage" foods which shouldn't be fed to senior
cats (or adult cats, for that matter). Higher phosphorus, sodium, calcium,
magnesium levels, you know!