Fling-ama-string cat toy - liked by the Rivermoon clowder

Old August 19th 11, 01:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kalynnda Rivermoon

Default Fling-ama-string cat toy - liked by the Rivermoon clowder

Yesterday the "Fling-ama-string" showed up. It's a toy that goes over a
doorknob. It has a conveyer belt with a string attached. As it rotates,
the string is flung out and then brought back in.

I knew the young cats (Tango and Jasper) would like it. But right now
our 12 year old Thunder is entirely fascinated and playing with the
string. It's great to see him entertained.

It's not a cheap toy (~$30). I watched videos of real cats playing with
it before I bought it. But it definitely is worth the price. Unlike
most cat toys that are ignored, ours actually play with it :-)

I also have an "undercover mouse" coming - it's by the people who
created the "panic mouse". The ideas is there is a wand that moves
around randomly under a cloth.

As I get older, keeping up with 6 cats entertainment need isn't always
easy, especially when the preferred toys involve a human moving them.
It's nice to find a toy that entertains them while I'm on the computer.

Hope you and yours are doing well.

Kalynnda, Mom to the six furry freeloaders
Old August 19th 11, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Kalynnda Rivermoon" wrote in message

[...]

- - - - - - - - - - -

Be *very* careful. Any toy that has a string attached should be placed in
storage any time you are not present to watch carefully. It should not be
left hanging on the door knob when you are not present--disasters can happen
quickly and with no warning.

MaryL

Old August 20th 11, 05:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 19/08/2011 10:37 PM, Kalynnda Rivermoon wrote:
[...]

Any video you'd care to upload to Youtube? :-)

Yowie

Old August 20th 11, 05:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 8/19/2011 11:37 PM, Yowie wrote:
[...]

I second that question!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old August 20th 11, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kalynnda Rivermoon

On 8/19/2011 11:58 PM, CatNipped wrote:
[...]

There are videos on youtube - just search on "fling-ama-string". I do
plan to get the video camera out this weekend and see if I can get
anything good. Though it might not be too interesting - it seems to be a
low-energy cat toy.

And Mary, I always make sure it's stopped with the string on the back
side so it's not available.

Kalynnda
Old August 20th 11, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Kalynnda Rivermoon" wrote in message

There are videos on youtube - just search on "fling-ama-string". I do
plan to get the video camera out this weekend and see if I can get
anything good. Though it might not be too interesting - it seems to be a
low-energy cat toy.

And Mary, I always make sure it's stopped with the string on the back
side so it's not available.

Kalynnda

- - - - - - - - - -

Thanks. I'm glad to hear that. I have written about this in the past, but
I once had a cat that could have faced horrendous consequences if I had not
been nearby. I had one of those scratching posts with a short spring
attached to the top and a very short string typing a toy to the spring. It
would bounce as the cat batted it around. On one occasion, I was working in
the kitchen and heard Amber (RB) screaming. It was obviously a scream of
pain, not play. I ran in to see what the problem was and found that she had
rolled onto her back while playing with it. She had apparently hit it in
such a way that it whipped around her paw, and she was caught/hanging with
the string wrapped tightly around her paw and lifting her partway off the
ground. She could not get loose and could not turn over to get weight off
that paw. I immediately cut the string. If I had not been there, I am sure
she would have lost that leg and possibly her life. Ever since then, I have
cut every one of those toys off that are attached to scratching posts and
other objects. Until that happened, it never would have occurred to me the
the situation I described could occur--there was just a very short spring
and even short piece of string involved.

MaryL

Old August 20th 11, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Aug 20, 10:06*am, "MaryL" wrote:
*I immediately cut the string. *If I had not been there, I am sure
she would have lost that leg and possibly her life. *

Eternal vigilance is the price we pay. A couple of years ago Sarsi was
snoozing to one side of the radiator in our living room, which has two
panels and as she stood up and stretched she got a leg jammed between
the panels so she went to go forward and her leg wouldn't go with her,
so she was trying to move and panicking. She could have easily broken
her leg or dislocated her knee/hip. Luckily we spotted it and I
scruffed her and covered her face so she sat down, Dave ran for some
washing up liquid to ease her leg out but I managed to get it out....

As I have been known to say "Apparently cats are good for lowering
your blood pressure but only after they've raised it to begin with"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old August 21st 11, 02:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Lesley wrote:

I immediately cut the string. If I had not been there, I am sure

Eternal vigilance is the price we pay. A couple of years ago Sarsi was
snoozing to one side of the radiator in our living room, which has two
panels and as she stood up and stretched she got a leg jammed between
the panels so she went to go forward and her leg wouldn't go with her,
so she was trying to move and panicking. She could have easily broken
her leg or dislocated her knee/hip. Luckily we spotted it and I
scruffed her and covered her face so she sat down, Dave ran for some
washing up liquid to ease her leg out but I managed to get it out....

As I have been known to say "Apparently cats are good for lowering
your blood pressure but only after they've raised it to begin with"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I once rescued a neighbour's German Shepherd from a similar predicament,
she had got her paw caught in the top of a picket gate, I had to lift
her whole body to release her foot. She was one of the nicest dogs I've
ever met and I'm usually a cat person.
--
Adrian
Old August 22nd 11, 06:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
MaryL typed:
[...]

Fluffy got her paw caught in a table leg bracket one night. She woke us up
by yelping incredible heartbreaking sounds - we rushed to her aid. There was
nothing I could immediately (I tried) but thank goodness Joel and his
brother (who for whatever reason was a houseguest that night) managed
between them to pry the brackets far enough apart (they're both very strong
men) and get her paw out.

It was only after her paw was out and it was clear that nothing was badly
injured or broken did all three of us realise that perhaps we should all
wear more to bed when guests are in the house :-)

Yowie