Happy birthday, Tweed.

Old December 3rd 12, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Happy birthday, Tweed.

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
Hope you have a good one.

--
Adrian

Thanks for the good wishes.
Unfortunately it was only marginally better than last year when my leg
was
in plaster.

I arrived at my aunt's house where we'd arranged a nice day with a lovely
meal. I'd only been there a few minutes when she said "I've been on the
phone and computer for ages with Microsoft" Alert bells sounded.
Apparently she'd had a pop-up for over a week suggesting her system was
failing and of course she fell for it when a "Microsoft engineer" phoned
her
up to offer to sort it out for £140. She gave them her card details.
It took what seemed like years to get through to the bank to cancel her
card. When we did get through they said it was an Indian company and
they'd
tried 6 times to get her money. We spent 2 hours hanging on the phone to
get through to the fraund dept of her bankj, we gave up.
I then spent ages on her computer trying to get rid of the pop up. I had
do a system restore in the end, and that upset the anti virus which
refused
to update after so long. I did eventually do it. Half an hour before I
had
to go home. I asked for a cup of tea.
Not my best birthday.
But my aunt said "You have been a blessing to me today" and that makes it
worth it.
Tweed

Oh dear, that is sad. It makes me so angry that these scammers usually get
away with it. I hope your aunt gets her money back.
--
Adrian

Luckily we managed to prevent them getting anything. Her bank had already
noticed it was suspect (why would she allow an Indian company acccess to her
bank account?) and refused them access to her account.
Good job, Barclays! They didn't get a penny. They made 6 attempts to
steal her money but they failed.
She did spend a lot of money on the phone though. All that music waiting
for ages to get through to the bank.. I think it should be a free number if
you've lost your card or been scammed.
She has the same bank as I do, I might mention that next time I visit. Isnt
it bad enough to lose your card or be scammed without waiting at least half
an hour paying for the call before you even get through to a human to speak
to and explain?
We gave up getting through to the Fraud Dept after an hour.

Hopefully my aunt has only lost the amazing amount of money it must have
cost on the phone to sort it out.
She was intending to go to the bank this morning in person. I'm waiting to
know what they say.
I hope they won't all be young people and tell her she was stupid.

Tweed

They made 6 attempts.

Old December 3rd 12, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

jmcquown wrote:
On 12/3/2012 2:47 AM, Joy wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 12/2/2012 6:33 PM, Bastette wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

Some guy hacked my bank card number a year ago and used it to buy a
computer in California. Stupidly, he also used my email address. I
got
the order confirmation and said WTF? I called the store (in
California)
and told them not only didn't I buy a computer from them, I haven't
been
to California since I was seven years old. They cancelled the order
but
they didn't tell *him*... they called the police instead. He was
arrested when he came in to pick up the computer.

Great sting! Nice to hear that the store cooperated to get this guy
arrested.

Jill

That is a store I'd be happy to do business with.

Joy

Would it surprise you to know it was a WalMart?

I never shop at WalMart but that quick action certainly swayed my opinion
of them a little bit.

Jill

I think, whatever company you deal, there are always good and bad staff.
You were lucky in getting a good one.
--
Adrian
Old December 4th 12, 03:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

Some guy hacked my bank card number a year ago and used it to buy a
computer in California. Stupidly, he also used my email address. I got
the order confirmation and said WTF? I called the store (in California)
and told them not only didn't I buy a computer from them, I haven't been
to California since I was seven years old. They cancelled the order but
they didn't tell *him*... they called the police instead. He was
arrested when he came in to pick up the computer.

Great sting! Nice to hear that the store cooperated to get this guy
arrested.

It was great! Real life drama transacted over the telephone. LOL When
I explained the situation they were more than happy to set something up
to catch this guy. I was a little surprised about that, too. I had no
idea, but they cancelled the order, called the police, then called the
guy and told him the order was ready for pick-up. Wow! That's what I
call service!

LOL, exactly! Which store *was* this?

--
Joyce

No one should try to hit another's bumper. But bumper bumpage is a part of
life. Yawn and get on with it. Here's the best way I can summarize it: I'd
rather have a beer with someone who doesn't care if his bumper gets a slight
dimple than with someone who cares deeply about this. -- Gene Weingarten
Old December 4th 12, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Wow! Surprise, surprise. I'm still not going to shop there, but hats off
to the employees who pulled that off.

Old December 11th 12, 05:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 12/2/2012 1:29 PM, jmcquown wrote:
They said he didn't notice he had a computer? How funny!!!! I swear
people who do this sort of thing have got to be the stupidest people on
the planet. I realize some folks get taken but the scammers eventually
get caught.

Some guy hacked my bank card number a year ago and used it to buy a
computer in California. Stupidly, he also used my email address. I got
the order confirmation and said WTF? I called the store (in California)
and told them not only didn't I buy a computer from them, I haven't been
to California since I was seven years old. They cancelled the order but
they didn't tell *him*... they called the police instead. He was
arrested when he came in to pick up the computer.

Of course I also cancelled the card immediately. A minor inconvenience.

A little late to respond to this, but something similar happened to me.
Someone somehow got my Discover card number and ordered something
online from Best Buy. I got a notice from discover saying the purchase
limit had been reached and I called them asking what did I buy from Best
Buy. They told me a big screen TV and it was ordered online and hadn't
even been shipped yet, so they were able to stop the shipment. The
address it was supposed to be delivered to was a house for sale so
probably vacant. Inconvenient to cancel the card, but I'm glad we have
these options.

Old December 13th 12, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
Hope you have a good one.

--
[...]

They phoned her again last Monday to enquire about why they couldn.t get
access to her bank card. That would be me noticing.
She blasted them. Told them she knew they were scammers and
has reported them to the police. Last we heard of them.
It was lucky I got there within hours.
I've told her never to give her bank card details out unless she checks with
her
family first.
She said that he was believable. Of course he is, that how they do it. Con
men are always believable. I knew it was a scam as soon as she told me. I
cancelled her card. Luckily just in time. They tried several times to
remove £140-170 from her account. Bad luck for them, they failed.
And got a blast on the phone from my aunt. She asked them how they slept at
night by preying on elderly people.

I asked her what they said to her in reply. Nothing. When she
challenged them they disconnected.

Old December 20th 12, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Adrian wrote:

Hope you have a good one.

Oh, I didn't know it was your birthday, Tweed! Happy Birthday! I guess
for you it's already the next day (it being 17:11 in California), so
I hope it was a nice one.

if you discount spending the whole day on the phone to her bank stopping
aunties card from getting spammed from people pretending to be Microsoft.
I've had better birthdays.

Old December 27th 12, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

Happy Birthday, Tweed! Hope Boyfriend gives you a great day and lots of
hugs.

Lily & her mama

Old December 27th 12, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Irulan" wrote in message
Happy Birthday, Tweed! Hope Boyfriend gives you a great day and lots of
hugs.

Lily & her mama

Thank you, Lydia. Nice to hear from you.
Tweed