It's impossible

Old January 7th 05, 10:29 PM
Christina Websell

Default It's impossible

Dear group

Now that I went back to work, it's totally impossible to keep up with you
all. I am out of the house from early morning until late, and the amount of
posts on rpca could make me weep because I can't reply.
In case any are interested: Working towards 16-20-24-30 hours after a
period of time.
Today my boss came in and said how was I getting on. I held out my hand and
shook it from side to side. Iffy, I said, I might go home, I'm fed up with
it.
Oh, for God's sake, no, she said.
I felt I had to tell her I was only teasing.

Later she said to me that she was so glad that I was back. I asked why.
Because I trust you and don't have to check your work.
That's nice.

Tweed

Old January 7th 05, 10:46 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-07, Christina Websell penned:
Dear group

Now that I went back to work, it's totally impossible to keep up with you
all. I am out of the house from early morning until late, and the amount of
posts on rpca could make me weep because I can't reply.

Yup, it's impossible.

I check in throughout the day when I'm stumped by something at work. Often
doing something completely unrelated for a few minutes clears my head for the
answer.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 8th 05, 04:34 PM
Adrian

Christina Websell wrote:
Dear group

Now that I went back to work, it's totally impossible to keep up with
you all. I am out of the house from early morning until late, and
the amount of posts on rpca could make me weep because I can't reply.
In case any are interested: Working towards 16-20-24-30 hours after a
period of time.
Today my boss came in and said how was I getting on. I held out my
hand and shook it from side to side. Iffy, I said, I might go home,
I'm fed up with it.
Oh, for God's sake, no, she said.
I felt I had to tell her I was only teasing.

Later she said to me that she was so glad that I was back. I asked
why. Because I trust you and don't have to check your work.
That's nice.

Tweed

Dear Tweed's Boss

Please could you arrange it for her to work half the hours for twice the
pay. She has very important things to attend to, like waiting on BF &
KFC, also posting to the group.

Thank you,
Snoopy & Bagheera

Old January 9th 05, 04:12 PM
Christina Websell

On 2005-01-07, Christina Websell penned:
Dear group

Now that I went back to work, it's totally impossible to keep up with you
all. I am out of the house from early morning until late, and the amount
of
posts on rpca could make me weep because I can't reply.

Yup, it's impossible.

I check in throughout the day when I'm stumped by something at work.
Often
doing something completely unrelated for a few minutes clears my head for
the
answer.

--

I'd love to do that. However only the top managers are allowed access to
the Internet at work, and alas, I am not one... ;-)

Tweed

Old January 9th 05, 04:15 PM
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message

Dear Tweed's Boss

Please could you arrange it for her to work half the hours for twice the
pay. She has very important things to attend to, like waiting on BF &
KFC, also posting to the group.

Thank you,
Snoopy & Bagheera

ROFL! This is actually something I requested verbally as a condition of
going back to work, but for some reason it was refused.
However a written request from someone else might do the trick. Don't hold
your breath though.. ;-))

Tweed

Old January 9th 05, 10:28 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-09, Christina Websell penned:

I'd love to do that. However only the top managers are allowed access to
the Internet at work, and alas, I am not one... ;-)

Tweed

Fortunately, as a s/w developer, I need access to the net. Actually, I can
think of very few jobs where access to the resources available online would be
useless, but unfortunately, I can't force all bosses to recognize that =/

Old January 9th 05, 10:46 PM
Christina Websell

On 2005-01-09, Christina Websell penned:

I'd love to do that. However only the top managers are allowed access to
the Internet at work, and alas, I am not one... ;-)

Tweed

Fortunately, as a s/w developer, I need access to the net. Actually, I
can
think of very few jobs where access to the resources available online
would be
useless, but unfortunately, I can't force all bosses to recognize that =/

Ah, but you see, it costs money. We are a government agency responsible for
all the money we spend to the taxpayer. If Tweed, (not a top manager) was
allowed access to the Internet on her work PC, she would not do any work at
all, and would just surf the net all day and play games online. Costing the
council money. Costing the taxpayers money.
They think.
The reality is I have far too much work to do to play about online, but I
sure would appreciate access to it if I needed it. Not likely, though, I'm
too lowly and because of that I cannot be trusted to have access to the
Internet at work and use it appropriately. sigh

Tweed

Old January 10th 05, 03:46 PM
jmcquown

On 2005-01-09, Christina Websell penned:

I'd love to do that. However only the top managers are allowed
access to the Internet at work, and alas, I am not one... ;-)

Tweed

Fortunately, as a s/w developer, I need access to the net. Actually,
I can think of very few jobs where access to the resources available
online would be useless, but unfortunately, I can't force all bosses
to recognize that =/

But on the flip side... I used to get very, very irritated when I was
working my ass off and a couple of people in the department were doing
nothing but sufing the web. It was part of my job as a senior support
analyst to review calls escalated to me; I had to determine if there was an
immediate solution or whether a developer would need to fix a bug. These
same 'surfers' would escalate calls to me with no research, no attempts to
even try any of the documented solutions. So you can understand my
irritation; they doubled my workload because they were playing all day.

Jill

Old January 10th 05, 04:31 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-10, jmcquown penned:

But on the flip side... I used to get very, very irritated when I was
working my ass off and a couple of people in the department were doing
nothing but sufing the web. It was part of my job as a senior support
analyst to review calls escalated to me; I had to determine if there was an
immediate solution or whether a developer would need to fix a bug. These
same 'surfers' would escalate calls to me with no research, no attempts to
even try any of the documented solutions. So you can understand my
irritation; they doubled my workload because they were playing all day.

IMO, it doesn't matter what you're doing as long as you get your job done.
The people you're describing weren't getting their jobs done. If it wasn't
the net, it would be solitaire, or phone calls to friends and family, or long
lunches ... if you took everything else from them, they'd just play with
paperclips or something.

You're describing folks who collect a paycheck without earning it. The
details don't really matter.

I do think that different people work differently. I tend to work in runs of
extreme productivity followed by ... well, not-so-extreme productivity. That
works okay for software. When I worked tech support, I was more consistent,
just because of the nature of the job.

Old January 10th 05, 04:55 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-09, Christina Websell penned:

Ah, but you see, it costs money. We are a government agency responsible for
all the money we spend to the taxpayer. If Tweed, (not a top manager) was
allowed access to the Internet on her work PC, she would not do any work at
all, and would just surf the net all day and play games online. Costing the
council money. Costing the taxpayers money.

They think.

It's a good thing that top managers would never surf the net, as they are a
completely different species than us regular folks.

The reality is I have far too much work to do to play about online, but I
sure would appreciate access to it if I needed it. Not likely, though, I'm
too lowly and because of that I cannot be trusted to have access to the
Internet at work and use it appropriately. sigh

Reminds me of where Eric works. They have strict rules about when you get a
cube with high walls, a cube with a window, etc., and come hell or high water,
you must have the type of office space appropriate for your rank. Sheer
silliness.