Abelard needs help

Old December 18th 10, 06:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Default Abelard needs help

He had a seizure. I could feel it was coming. It was similar to the
one in May '08 but shorter. He peed involuntarily, his legs went
stiff, and he cried out several times. He's resting comfortably now. I
am about to leave with him for the all-night vet emergency in
Springfield, where he will likely spend at least a day or two. We
already spent half of the entire cat budget for January on his
treatment earlier today, so help with further costs is most welcome.
You can call the clinic (24 hours) directly if you want to chip in.
The number is 417-890-1600. We'll be over there by around 1 AM central
time. Leaving shortly. They know we're en route. Thanks in advance.

http://www.evcspringfield.com/

Old December 18th 10, 11:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Default Update: Abelard needs help

I am back from Springfield. Abelard is in the hospital there, as I
expected he would be. He had another (shorter) seizure en route, and
then again right after we arrived at the clinic. They checked his
blood and urine and some other tests. The diagnosis is acute renal
failure from dehydration.

The meds given by the local vet likely contributed to this serious
development. Also, the incompetent #%^&$ apparently didn't notice the
severity of the dehydration today, nor the subnormal temp, didn't
suggest blood work, didn't see a need to give even sub-q fluids if not
IV.

Well he's getting IV fluids now, and is on a heated bed with a cover.
TED at clinic in Springfield says seizures were brought on by low CA +
high PHOS in the blood, and that the fluids being given will address
this. He might have told me how it got that way but if so I don't
recall details. What did stick in my mind is that Abelard may or may
not be able to bounce back after a few days of IV fluids and
supportive care.

They are giving a different antibiotic, it's called Unasyn. Baytril
was wrong, wrong, wrong!! In any event the dental infection seems to
be the least of our concerns, for the moment. How can he bounce back
enough to have dental surgery if he won't eat because his mouth
hurts??

On top of this, the Springfield TED says he will need to be
transferred to a local clinic Monday morning for continuing IV fluids,
because this clinic is only open 6 PM to 8 AM on weekdays (and all
weekend). We must pick Abelard up by 7:30 Monday morning and pay the
balance on the bill at that time. I asked if they would accept
payments over the phone and the answer was yes, but only up to the
remaining balance after the deposit that I had to leave ($250) on a
credit card.

The estimated total due on Monday morning will be close to $500, half
of which was charged to my card tonight. But, since this is an
emergency clinic which mainly serves travelers, they won't maintain a
balance on account. Also, even if people wanted to help with more than
will still be owed Monday, they can't refund the charge on the credit
card for some reason I don't even understand well enough to explain.

I am awfully mad at the local vet. I've half a mind to go to his house
in the morning and wring his neck. Thanks to him, Abelard might not
make it, but at least now he's receiving good care and will be kept
comfortable.

The EVC will be calling here at 7 AM and again at 7 PM both today and
Sunday with updates. They will do another blood test after 24 hours to
see how the kidneys are working.

As for me, I am about half-dead from lack of sleep and worry.

Old December 18th 10, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Default 2nd Update: Abelard needs help

Dave went back to the local clinic to speak with TED there. I wasn't
up to it, I am wiped out. According to Dave, TED defended his choice
of drugs, said he noticed the dehydration and recommended blood work,
also said that Aby is in very serious condition and may not pull
through even with treatment. According to Dave, TED told him yesterday
that he'd like to do blood work "next time".

So I called TED on the phone a while ago and apparently Dave
misunderstood because TED wasn't adamant about doing the test right
away. I kept asking Dave yesterday to tell me *everything* TED had
said and he never mentioned that anything was said about blood work
and fluids.

To me it was unfathomable that any vet seeing Abelard's condition
wouldn't have said/done more than recommend bringing him back next
week, so all day yesterday I kept asking Dave if TED had said
*anything* else, and Dave kept saying no. So I guess this whole fiasco
is my fault for not calling TED yesterday with my concerns. I feel
like a piece of crap right now.

Old December 18th 10, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Judith Latham wrote:

Purrs and prayers for Abelard's recovery and for you to get some sleep,
yes I know how difficult that is with the worry, and for your heart too.

Thanks, Judith.

I feel horrible guilt for not knowing enough to speak with TED
yesterday. He may have sent me to Springfield anyway, but at least I
would have gotten there many hours sooner, and that would have been
better for Abelard.

As it is, my boy is deathly ill and I feel I have nowhere to turn. If
Dave feels bad about how things have turned out, he hasn't said
anything. As for me, I can't do much aside from sob my heart out.

Old December 18th 10, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

I hope Abelard will be stabilised on his drip and continues to recover.
If he has CRF, when he comes home he might need to drink rehydration fluid
like KFC had to. You can buy it in sachets from your vet for loadsa money
or you can ask me for the recipe which is identical which kept her going for
a long time.
It's very palatable, KFC drank it like a fish.

There is no secret to rehydration fluid which cats with kidney problems need
to drink once they are up and going and I will freely share that with you if
you want.
I will not do that unless I know your vet has agreed he's fit to go home
because I know you, with all that "natural medicine is best" Which is fine
for minor things which will resolve on their own but this is not.

Old December 18th 10, 11:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 10:17:49 -0800 (PST), Pat
wrote:

[...]

Well, try not beat yourself up this; I think we've all done something
like this...and, after all, you're NOT a vet tech.

If Abelard was as sick as your vet SAYS, he should have INSISTED on
rehydrating him, as a MINIMUM of care.

HE is to blame for this, NOT you.

He didn't do his job properly: it's HIS responsibility to communicate to
people who DON'T have a background in veterinary science what is going
on with a sick animal, and just EXACTLY what NEEDS to be done, to treat
the sick pet.

He DIDN'T do this, AT ALL!

As with all professions, they are good, bad, and exceptional
veterinarians. Yours sounds pretty much mediocre, at best, to me.

My vet knows that I'm very good at understanding medical terminology,
but she ALWAYS makes absolutely sure I understand what is going on.

I remember when Abelard had a seizure (or was it more than one?) before.

I've seen a cat have a seizure, and it is REALLY scary to see,
ESPECIALLY if it's your beloved kitty

I know how sick a cat can get just from getting dehydrated: I saw it
happen to Kenzie, more than once, when I first put her on the Tapezole,
and she had such a bad time tolerating it.

And Kenzie was basically healthy back then, aside from the
hyperthyroidism. She just couldn't keep any food or water down.

Cats drink so much less water than humans or dogs do: they are descended
from desert dwelling wild cats. They get dehydrated so easily, and
suffer from kidney damage, because of this.

I'm sorry I can't help with Abelard's expenses

Sending mega purrs for Abelard to get well, and for your stress and
anxiety, as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

-TC, in loving memory of the unmercifully, relentlessly, sweet calico
kitty, Kenzie.

Every day was a treasure with Kenzie; I tried to treat them that way.
There would only be so many, and now, there will never, ever, be any
more

- Robert Heinlein

Old December 19th 10, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Pat wrote:

I feel horrible guilt for not knowing enough to speak with TED
yesterday. He may have sent me to Springfield anyway, but at least I
would have gotten there many hours sooner, and that would have been
better for Abelard.

As it is, my boy is deathly ill and I feel I have nowhere to turn. If
Dave feels bad about how things have turned out, he hasn't said
anything. As for me, I can't do much aside from sob my heart out.

I think the guilt lies with the local vet - he sounds really incompetent.

Purrs continuing for Abelard to pull through!

Joyce

--
Speak your mind even if your voice cracks while you're saying it.
Old December 19th 10, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Christina Websell wrote:

I hope Abelard will be stabilised on his drip and continues to recover.
If he has CRF, when he comes home he might need to drink rehydration fluid
like KFC had to. *You can buy it in sachets from your vet for loadsa money
or you can ask me for the recipe which is identical which kept her going for
a long time.
It's very palatable, KFC drank it like a fish.

There is no secret to rehydration fluid which cats with kidney problems need
to drink once they are up and going and I will freely share that with you if
you want.
I will not do that unless I know your vet has agreed he's fit to go home
because I know you, with all that "natural medicine is best" *Which is fine
for minor things which will resolve on their own but this is not.

I'm sure Abelard would be happy to drink something like this. He loves
all sorts of broths, he will even drink the liquid out of canned
vegies if he can get it. I've let him have all sorts of broths and
he's never turned one down.

He will stay on the drip until he's well enough to come home but I'd
like to have a special drink on hand for him the second he gets here.
That is, if he makes it. Both vets expressed doubts that he would be
able to survive this episode. I will know more in a few hours.

Old December 19th 10, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Pat" wrote in message
news:67123250-6fd4-4bae-I'm sure Abelard would be happy to drink something
like this. He loves
all sorts of broths, he will even drink the liquid out of canned
vegies if he can get it. I've let him have all sorts of broths and
he's never turned one down.

He will stay on the drip until he's well enough to come home but I'd
like to have a special drink on hand for him the second he gets here.
That is, if he makes it. Both vets expressed doubts that he would be
able to survive this episode. I will know more in a few hours.
-------------
If he comes home and needs to drink rehydration fluid for CRF let me know. I
have the recipe. Kept KFC going for years until she was snatched.

They do like it. It saves a fortune not buying sachets of exactly the same
formula at the vets.

Tweed

Old December 19th 10, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 00:51:38 +0000, Christina Websell wrote:

"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

One well-known trick for getting elderly cats to drink enough is to have
several water dishes in different parts of the house. Cats have the
instinct to check any water source to see if it is drinkable (an instinct
probably coming from their desert ancestry). By having multiple water
dishes, repeatedly sampling the different water dishes will result in
their consuming more water than they would drink from a single water dish.

--
John F. Eldredge --
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly

Abelard again (pic) Pat Cat anecdotes 7 December 5th 06 08:41 AM
Abelard is gone again Pat Cat anecdotes 29 September 13th 05 05:52 PM
Oh, Abelard....!!! Pat Cat anecdotes 26 July 6th 05 04:09 AM
Abelard going to TED Pat Cat anecdotes 28 May 4th 05 12:40 AM
Abelard Says Yes Pat Cat anecdotes 4 April 28th 05 07:25 PM