Food question

Old November 22nd 09, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Default Food question

Please, I just want information, not to ignite a religious argument
between the wets and the drys.

The vet told me Milo was getting a little chunky because his dry food
(Purina Indoor) contained too little protein. Thus to get enough
protein he ate too much of it, getting too many carbs and therefore
too many calories. She told me to switch him to Wellness and EVO in
cans, which I have done.

But he really, really likes to have food in his dish at all times.
Even when fed twice a day he eats just a little, then returns
periodically. The result is that it's always dried out before he
finishes it, so a fair amount goes to waste because he no longer
recognizes it as food.

Feeding him more often than twice a day isn't an option because I
work, and anyway to match his pattern I'd have to give him a
tablespoon or so every hour.

Is there any dry food that provides good nutrition for an indoor cat
at about the same cost per feeding as wet food? Yes, I asked my vet,
but she didn't know of any off the top of her head.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old November 22nd 09, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Christine BA[_2_]

Stan Brown kirjoitti:
[...]

Indirect reply to your problem.
Laku eats mainly wet food. He's also a "nibbler" and has food in his
bowl for most of the day. I have started to counteract the drying up by
putting a little hot water into the bowl with the food and then mashing
it all up. This slightly dissolves the jelly in which the meat chunks
are in, as well as keeps the food from drying up as much as it did
before the idea of the water came to me. Laku's been happy with it, so
everything's fine.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old November 24th 09, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Sun, 22 Nov 2009 19:13:38 +0200 from Christine BA
:
Indirect reply to your problem.
Laku eats mainly wet food. He's also a "nibbler" and has food in his
bowl for most of the day. I have started to counteract the drying up by
putting a little hot water into the bowl with the food and then mashing
it all up. This slightly dissolves the jelly in which the meat chunks
are in, as well as keeps the food from drying up as much as it did
before the idea of the water came to me. Laku's been happy with it, so
everything's fine.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old November 27th 09, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Stan Brown exclaimed (11/23/2009 10:01 PM):
Sun, 22 Nov 2009 19:13:38 +0200 from Christine BA
:
Indirect reply to your problem.
Laku eats mainly wet food. He's also a "nibbler" and has food in his
bowl for most of the day. I have started to counteract the drying up by
putting a little hot water into the bowl with the food and then mashing
it all up. This slightly dissolves the jelly in which the meat chunks
are in, as well as keeps the food from drying up as much as it did
before the idea of the water came to me. Laku's been happy with it, so
everything's fine.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.

I do the same thing, for a different reason - I add the water (sometimes
hot sometimes not) to ensure she's getting enough, but it does have the
fortuitous side effect of allowing her food to stay fresh longer, since
she almost never eats as soon as I set it down. She likes it to age a
bit, I guess

jmc