Red squirrel experts?

Old September 17th 18, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock[_2_]

Default Red squirrel experts?

Anyone have these pests? I haven't seen them since I was a kid. The black/grey squirrels are relatively harmless, other than digging up the flower pots and bulbs. But these red squirrels are maniacs, they harass everything in sight and seem to enjoy chewing on the roof. We actually have one living in our solarium roof. I paid a 'wildlife expert' to remove it, but all he did was remove the cash from my wallet.

I think I know where it's getting in now, so I can board it up, but I suspect it will just chew its way in somewhere else. I was going to put a couple of those pest repellents on the roof, but I don't know if they will bother the birds or the indoor creatures.

I was walking through the path along the river this morning and the bush was just teeming with these little b*stards. They are building an army.
Old September 19th 18, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/17/2018 2:18 PM, Bill Stock wrote:
Anyone have these pests? I haven't seen them since I was a kid. The black/grey squirrels are relatively harmless, other than digging up the flower pots and bulbs. But these red squirrels are maniacs, they harass everything in sight and seem to enjoy chewing on the roof. We actually have one living in our solarium roof. I paid a 'wildlife expert' to remove it, but all he did was remove the cash from my wallet.

I think I know where it's getting in now, so I can board it up, but I suspect it will just chew its way in somewhere else. I was going to put a couple of those pest repellents on the roof, but I don't know if they will bother the birds or the indoor creatures.

I was walking through the path along the river this morning and the bush was just teeming with these little b*stards. They are building an army.

Sorry, not much help here. The only squirrels down this way (South
Carolina) are grey squirrels. They don't seem to be very destructive in
terms of the roof. A bigger problem here is marsh rats. A neighbor had
marsh rats in his attic, which (down here) are basically just crawl
spaces. He had to call someone to set traps and poison and remove a
dead rat from his "attic".

I suggested he find the ingress and install some metal mesh at the
end-caps so they can't get in.

Jill
Old September 20th 18, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tina[_2_]

On 19/09/2018 15:17, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Sorry, not much help here.Â* The only squirrels down this way (South
Carolina) are grey squirrels.Â* They don't seem to be very destructive in
terms of the roof.Â* A bigger problem here is marsh rats.Â* A neighbor had
marsh rats in his attic, which (down here) are basically just crawl
spaces.Â* He had to call someone to set traps and poison and remove a
dead rat from his "attic".

I suggested he find the ingress and install some metal mesh at the
end-caps so they can't get in.

Jill

Send it back here, our red squirrel population has pretty well been
wiped out by the greys

Old September 21st 18, 07:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

On 9/19/2018 9:17 AM, jmcquown wrote:
On 9/17/2018 2:18 PM, Bill Stock wrote:

Sorry, not much help here.Â* The only squirrels down this way (South
Carolina) are grey squirrels.Â* They don't seem to be very destructive in
terms of the roof.Â* A bigger problem here is marsh rats.Â* A neighbor had
marsh rats in his attic, which (down here) are basically just crawl
spaces.Â* He had to call someone to set traps and poison and remove a
dead rat from his "attic".

I suggested he find the ingress and install some metal mesh at the
end-caps so they can't get in.

Jill

Poison concerns me. Cats may catch some of those rats and mice and be
poisoned. Your suggestion for blocking their entrance is much better
(and also more humane).

MaryL