OT - Fireworks?

Old July 2nd 11, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
hopitus[_2_]

Default OT - Fireworks?

On Jul 2, 1:30*pm, Lesley wrote:
On Jul 2, 11:01*am, hopitus wrote:

You did forget "Special K".

That must be American over here "Special K" is a diet breakfast
cereal!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furball

LOL to young and reckless ravers (party people) in USA urban
life, it is *both*, that's how it was named in rave circuits.
Old July 2nd 11, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
hopitus[_2_]

On Jul 2, 3:09*pm, Lesley wrote:
On Jul 2, 11:01*am, hopitus wrote:
K". You and I would get along fine in RL. I

understand East Ender.

I had one laugh yesterday sort of...I'd stopped in the "Bells" and 2
American ladies came in first of all they weren't too happy as they
thought Bow Church was the one that you had to be born within hearing
of to be considered Cockney- it's actually St Mary Le Bow in the city
so I directed them then they started asking us all if were cockney
what did it mean to be cockney? *Aaron said he was born in Bow but we
didn't all use rhythming slang and as I walked past for a laugh I said
"Aaron! Go up the Apples!" so the next thing I;ve got these 2 ladies
assuming I am an authetic cockney and no amount of explaning that I
was born in Romford worked *then they said there's no history around
here...

I took them outside.... *the "Bells" is about 200 feet from the first
act of violence by a suffragette just standing out there I can see
that and am near the site of a convent mentioned in Chaucer's
"Canterbury Tales"- the infamous red handed Gladstone statue is in
sight but the real story is on the other side of the road and the
memorial plaque is there. *Cross the road and the turning on your left
is Fairfield Road where they used to have *fair but it was stopped for
licentious behavour (possibly to the modern Mayfair) and about half
way down now relabelled "Bow Quarter" is the old Bryant and Mays'
match factory where the famous match girls strike took place ....I
could have shown them the meeting place of the first London Co-
Operative food store but it;s currently under scaffolding

In the end they almost wanted to come back and hire me as a tour
guide.... but after all the things I told them when I mentioned the
Minnie Lansbury clock they asked "Is she related to Angela
Lansbury" (Sort of Minnie was her grandfathers first wife when the
clock needed work done she put £5K or so into the fund) and shot off
to take photos

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furball

You have a lotta historical stuff around where you live. I envy
Britain's history,
including all the violence, head-offing, etc. We have so little
comparatively.
Old July 2nd 11, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

CatNipped wrote:
All sales on fireworks have been banned this year in and around Houston.
The chance of more wild fires and the danger to homes is too great to risk
even a "sparkler" to ignite the draught ravaged foliage. That's perfectly
understandable to me - why take the chance of some dumb@44 setting the city
on fire.

Apparently Texans are more intelligent than Arizonans! Last year they
revised the laws to make sale of fireworks to the general public legal
in Arizona. (It's not legal to set them off many places, but who will
pay attention to that?) Considering the fact they have not quite gotten
the worst wildfire in Arizona history under control yet, and the entire
Southwest (including Arizona, New Mexico and Texas) are suffering from
severe drought conditions, with the Forest Service banning campfires in
the various camping areas, this really does not seem the proper time to
relax the rules against private use of fireworks, does it?

However, they're still planning a "Freedom Celebration" in Houston and some
surrounding cities. Huh? Are their fireworks somehow different from
privately owned fireworks? Are the parks and other places they're planned
somehow spared from the draught? There is still a big "debate" about this
going on, but as of right now, the celebrations are going to go ahead as
planned.

What do you think? Should city-run fireworks be banned also, or allowed?

I don't know how such displays are organized and run in Texas, but most
places have plenty of professional fire-fighters at hand to oversee the
proceedings for public shows. (And the big shows use a lot of
set-pieces, which are formally constructed in specific places -
hopefully with fire-extinguishers ready to hand.)
Old July 2nd 11, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

CatNipped wrote:
We don't open our curtains after dark, so my cats have never seen fireworks,
but they don't appear to be bothered by the noises (thank goodness since our
idiot neighbors spend thousands of dollars in fireworks at least twice a
year).

"TWICE a year"?? July 4th and what else? Cinco de Mayo? Guy Fawkes Day?
Old July 2nd 11, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

J J Levin wrote:

I live in Northern NJ. There are organized fireworks on the 4th, but the NY
Police Commissioner was just on the radio, warning NY residents not to drive
to Pennsylvania to buy fireworks. Private fireworks are illegal in NY, and
he specifically said that people who cross the border to buy illegal
fireworks will be arrested and their cars will confiscated (as they do in
drug cases).

Jay

That's smart! Putting that kind of teeth in the law may have some
effect. Banning their sale in Minnesota when I was growing us didn't do
much good - people just went over the state lines to Wisconsin or Iowa
and bought 'em there.

Old July 2nd 11, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
hopitus[_2_]

On Jul 2, 3:39*pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
J J Levin wrote:

I live in Northern NJ. There are organized fireworks on the 4th, but the NY
Police Commissioner was just on the radio, warning NY residents not to drive
to Pennsylvania to buy fireworks. Private fireworks are illegal in NY, and
he specifically said that people who cross the border to buy illegal
fireworks will be arrested and their cars will confiscated (as they do in
drug cases).

Jay

That's smart! *Putting that kind of teeth in the law may have some
effect. *Banning their sale in Minnesota when I was growing us didn't do
much good - people just went over the state lines to Wisconsin or Iowa
and bought 'em there.

Repeating myself: Just in case you are unaware, the Fed DEA is in on
drug sweep
confiscations complete with their manpower. The DEA is NOT in on ATF
police work
(separate Fed LE) and ATF due to Fed budget cutting major slashes, has
much less
enforcement personnel to date. I doubt AZ is rolling in cops to even
enforce your
(ahem) lady guv's immigration edicts (looks that way in media, anyway)
and any
"teeth" anywhere you don't have enough cops to take care of crime
business are
going to be baby kitten teeth, not fangs, as felonies and regular
crime *here* are
taking up remaining officers' time and effort....ergo, don't look for
LE to come
running in riot gear to your aid when you report your neighbor's kids
setting off
stuff next door Monday night. I live in reality, not how I wish things
were, especially
"how things were back then". A lot of "how things were back then"
would get you
quick in the slammer these days: three examples: child abuse, pet
abuse, and
extreme hoarding, as seen in the tv these days. All three went on
unimpeded "back
in the day".
Old July 2nd 11, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Lesley wrote:

In the end they almost wanted to come back and hire me as a tour
guide.... but after all the things I told them when I mentioned the
Minnie Lansbury clock they asked "Is she related to Angela
Lansbury" (Sort of Minnie was her grandfathers first wife when the
clock needed work done she put £5K or so into the fund) and shot off
to take photos

.....And then we wonder why American tourists have a bad reputation in
Europe! At least, in the UK they are justified in expecting the natives
to speak English. (One of the prime complaints against us in other
countries.)
Old July 2nd 11, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Lesley wrote:
On Jul 2, 11:01 am, hopitus wrote:

You did forget "Special K".

That must be American over here "Special K" is a diet breakfast
cereal!

Here, too! (Where does it mean something else?)
Old July 2nd 11, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Lesley" wrote in message

On Jul 1, 3:07 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:

What do you think? Should city-run fireworks be banned also,
or
allowed?

...When I was a kid city run displays were rare and
most people had a bonfire etc in their back gardens on
November the
5th. ...

I'm getting a bad case of nostalgia here.....the morning after
the air
reeked of fireworks and us kids would go round hunting for the
empty
cases to see who could find the most... but apart from November
the
5th no-one ever lit fireworks.

These days very few people hold Bonfire Night parties in their
gardens
but there are loads of big council run displays...
However they are now lit more often than once a year- ...
...New Year 2004 was like living in a war zone- ...The first
year
Dunzi (RB- God that hurts!) and Sarsi seemed fascinated and
watched
them out the window but they didn't bother after that...

Well, round here (West London / Heathrow), there's a very large
Asian population. They celebrate all sorts of religious festivals
(Eid and Diwali, to name but two) with fireworks, usually in
their back gardens - though the local authority (London Borough
of Hounslow) also runs a few organised displays for these
occasions.

The law on fireworks is quite strict - who can supply, buy, and
use them - and at what hour of the day - though the latter
doesn't seem to be enforced!

--
MatSav

Old July 2nd 11, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lesley wrote:

In the end they almost wanted to come back and hire me as a tour
guide.... but after all the things I told them when I mentioned the
Minnie Lansbury clock they asked "Is she related to Angela
Lansbury" (Sort of Minnie was her grandfathers first wife when the
clock needed work done she put £5K or so into the fund) and shot off
to take photos

....And then we wonder why American tourists have a bad reputation in
Europe! At least, in the UK they are justified in expecting the natives
to speak English. (One of the prime complaints against us in other
countries.)

I don't understand. What did she say that was objectionable? I mean,
she was on the right track, wasn't she? Minnie *did* have a connection
with Angela, if not by blood, then by marriage, so how was this an
example of being an obnoxious tourist?

Joyce

--
Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
go in one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker

How fireworks saved my cat ... Cosmotcat Cat anecdotes 11 April 13th 08 10:20 PM
Fireworks!! Yay!!! Jack Campin - bogus address Cat anecdotes 2 November 7th 07 03:18 PM
OT - Make your own fireworks Rhonda Cat anecdotes 2 July 5th 06 06:41 AM
B & C and Fireworks Bev Cat anecdotes 10 November 6th 04 11:27 AM
Fireworks Mr Nangla Cat health & behaviour 4 November 4th 03 03:29 AM