(Way OT) Arachnophobia

Old June 4th 11, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default (Way OT) Arachnophobia

"MLB" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

There was a (much bigger) spider
sitting by the baseboard. I hate to kill them, I really do. But, with a
sigh, I got out the bug spray and blasted it.

EEEEEEEK! A gazillion teeny tiny baby spiders started swarming off this
thing! OMG! How freaky!

Jill

- - - - - - - - - - - -

That same thing happened to me years ago. It was a rather horrifying
sight, even though I am not afraid of spiders. It was just so unexpected
(and freaky, as you said).

An exterminator once told me that spiders can only be killed by contact
insecticides. I actually like having spiders outdoors because most are
harmless and can even be beneficial. They are pretty good at getting rid
of unwanted insects themselves. I don't like them in the house, though.
If it's just one or two, I try to trap them and put them outdoors. I did
*not* suddenly see an influx of spiders, even after the episode of tiny
spiders swarming off its mother, so you may find the same thing to be
true. If you start having more of a problem, you possibly could vacuum
them up (using a vacuum hose and not the "sweeper" part), then empty the
bag or cannister outside.

MaryL

I used to be a serious arachnophobe. I've trained myself to accept the
smaller ones now, but the biggies I still can't do.
I would not kill one though, it's not their fault I don't like them.
I try to get the big ones into a bath towel and flap it outside.
I've really struggled with this as it still frightens me.
There's no reason as I have no problem with beetles, moths, or anything
else.
My heart sinks if I see a big one in the bath. Luckily its not the season
to find them.
Tweed

Old June 4th 11, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Jun 3, 4:30*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

I used to be a serious arachnophobe. *

I've never been bothered by spiders/wasps etc although stag beetles
freak me right out! Don't know why I've never even seen a live one!
I;ve seen a dead one/one preserved in plastic presumably also dead and
that's pretty much it....It's not beetles generally. In fact I'm
fascinated by insects and many years ago made a special trip to the
Natural History Museum to look round their new and expanded insect
gallery.....fascinating....amazing....as I was going out I looked up
and they'd positioned this huge model over the exit of a stag beetle
about to take off and I was standing under it...you've never seen
anyone leave a exhibition as fast as I did- I was sure if it fell on
me I'd have a heart attack!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old June 5th 11, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Cheryl wrote:

On 6/3/2011 1:57 AM, wrote:

The little fly isn't a fruit fly - those tend to travel in large
groups, and this type is always alone. Also, although it's smaller
than the average housefly, it's bigger than a fruit fly. Also, it's
always in the bathroom, rather than being near a source of vinegar.
Its wings are positioned in such a way that whenever I look at them,
I think, "airplane ears". I'm sure that's why I think it's cute.

My guess would be a drain fly. I get those, too. Look near the bottom of
this article:
http://buginfo.com/article.cfm?id=83

That is exactly the right shape, but the ones I see are black and don't
look "furry". Also, I only ever see one hanging out by itself - I've never
had anything approaching an infestation. I think the size is wrong, too -
the article says drain flies are about 1/8 inch wide, but the ones I see
are bigger, maybe closer to 1/4 inch or maybe a little more.

The wing shape and angle look very much the same, though.

Joyce
Old June 7th 11, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default ArachnoOops

Sherry wrote:
You've *got* to let us know how that works out!
I really like argiope spiders. There's always one on the porch.
They get fatter and fatter, then like overnight an egg sac appears,
then
the spider's colors start to fade by October. It's kind of sad, and I
always think about Charolette, the children's story.

About an hour ago, I came across a large spider with what looked like
an oddly colored and distended abdomen. It was waddling awkwardly
across the floor. I knelt down and nudged it curiously, causing the
spider to start, and its "abdomen" to roll several inches away!

OMG, it was an egg sac!

I had no idea that spiders waddled around carrying their eggs from
place to place.

I rolled the egg slowly back towards the mother spider. The spider
didn't make a move. I rolled the egg directly against the spider. The
spider reared back, and didn't pick up the egg.

So I decided to leave the spider and its egg sac alone. I just went
back, and they're both gone. Probably, they went somewhere safe. Or
somewhat less likely, Buster found and ate them.
Old June 7th 11, 03:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Takayuki wrote:
Sherry wrote:
[...]

The thought of a cat eating spiders really bothers me. If it is a
poisonous spider, wouldn't it make the cat sick? Also, spider bites
hurt so wouldn't it bite the animal's mouth and tongue?
It gives me the "creeps" to even think about it. MLB