Sammy's Epitaph

Old June 11th 11, 03:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_5_]

Default Sammy's Epitaph

I'm finally home from the hospital - stabilized, but still far from fixed.
Anyway...

Ben and I are going to buy an obsidian epitaph stone for Sammy. It can be
engraved with pictures and verse and I'm having a terrible time choosing how
I should memorialize her. I'm terrible at verse, but this is a first
attempt (way too long), and I would love any contributions, help, additions,
anything at all. I wrote so much about her when she was alive that I feel
like you must have known her as well as I did. Please feel free to be
brutal in criticizing - naturally I want this to be as perfect as she was.

My sweet gentle giant
my tiny baby girl
Never let it stop her
that she was too big for her world
She was too long for her tunnel
too "fluffy" for her bed
But my lap had always room there
to lay her precious head
Funny little clown cat
she liked to suck her toe
It gave her the comfort
that as kitten she didn't know
I couldn't be there for her then
I hadn't met her yet
But when she needed me the most
died, alone at the vet
Would I take away the hurt
Put upon myself the fear
A thousand times and then some
for one second of her here

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old June 11th 11, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
The Boca Deb

On Jun 10, 10:05*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
[...]

Wow! For a first draft, that is a teriffic memorial poem. When I
read it the first time, my glasses fogged up because I was crying.

My advice, if you choose to revise, is to sit on it for a while, maybe
a day or so, and then look it again with unbiased eyes.

And in case I haven't said so, I'm very sorry for your loss of Sammy.
May her memory be a blessing to all who knew her.

Debby Hanoka
aka The Boca Deb
Old June 11th 11, 03:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Spock-n-Persephone

On Jun 11, 12:05*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
[...]

See all our masters at: *http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Email: *L(dot)T(dot)Crews(at)comcast(dot)net

beautiful!
Rest in peace, dear Sammy. Too big for this world, but just the right
size for your heart.

Tish
Old June 11th 11, 08:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 11/06/2011 12:05 PM, CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Lori, don't blame yourself for not being there when she passed. I know
you feel guilty about it, but you had no choice in the matter. Your
guilt, as much as it is raw and real, should not IMHO appear on a
permanent memorial of her life - it should be a tribute to her and the
love you have for her.

That said, though, even in its current form, its a lovely epitaph.

{{{{{Lori}}}}}

Yowie
Old June 11th 11, 01:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message ...

[...]

-------

It's beautiful, Lori. You described her little personality to a tee. I
hope she rests easy. She was so loved... never a doubt about that!!

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Laurie
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

Old June 11th 11, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

That's a lovely sentiment, Lori, all very sweet. Of course it's too long
for an epitaph. I'd stick with the first two lines you wrote: "My sweet
gentle giant. My tiny baby girl." Then add something appropriate to what
you believe such as "go with God" or "Rest in Peace" and the dates.

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Lori.

Jill

Old June 11th 11, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

IMHO Debby Hanoka said it best"May her memory be a blessing to all who
knew her". As I have told you often, you are a talented writer and I
do love your poem, but not as an epitaph. When you are feeling up to it
perhaps we could have another re-run of the "Mommy Stories". They are
classic and always will be. Life can take a tough toll on people and
you certainly have paid the price, but today you are here and I, for
one, would love to read your stories again. Best wishes for the days
ahead. MLB
Old June 11th 11, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I'd leave out the last part, tbh, Lori. It's not your fault that you were
in hospital when she became ill - and remember that I was in hospital myself
when KFC in her confusion went out looking for me, was kidnapped on the
street and put down before I knew and could do nothing about it.
So I know the guilt you are feeling, truly, but you should only feel guilty
if something is your fault so says my excellent friend, my ex-counsellor,
Simon.
I took ages for me to accept that what he said was true, but it is.
Wait a while before you commit yourself to her epitaph written in stone.
I feel for you.
((hugs))
Tweed

Old June 11th 11, 05:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 21:05:18 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

[...]

Lori, the first half is absolutely gorgeous... but please don't beat
yourself up about how she passed. It is absolutely not your fault that
you weren't there to hold her paw. Remember the love, and put away the
guilt sweety - that's what Sammy would want you to do.

(hugs)
Old June 11th 11, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_5_]

Oh gawds, why do I do this to myself? I just read the final report from the
vet on Sammy's last hours on this earth. I don't even know how the report
got into my purse. Ben says I asked for it, but because of my health
problems, I'm having very serious mental/memory problems - I also mislaid my
doctor's instructions from my discharge yesterday. All that would be fine
if I could remember only the good, but the opposite seems to be true. Since
I came out of my coma in February(?), half paralyzed in body and even more
crippled in mind, I feel like I've been living in a warped version of
Alice's wonderland.

Anyway, it was agonizing to "live through it" with her and I feel like if my
imagination were real my heart would bleed out until I died.

But to add to my guilt, and I can't even believe I'm writing this down...
I find myself wishing it were *ANY* other of my precious fur-babies who'd
died instead of my heart (and here is Archer, licking my tears from my
face - how could I be such a monster?). As a parent, I know I could never
choose between my two children, and that *should* carry over to my love for
my cats, but I'm only getting aggravated by Archer's normal, ubiquitous
"pushiness" (maybe as runt of the litter he's always had to fight for his
share of attention, poor baby). But when he steps his 14+ pounds on my
scrambled, unhealing stomach I could scream - so that doesn't make it any
easier even knowing he doesn't know any better.

Please, could someone help me with these wicked, awful feelings? All I can
think of is that it should have been me, not Sammy. I'm at the end of my
life and reaping the rewards of my wicked ways. Why is it always the
innocent who pay?