(Way OT) Arachnophobia

Old May 30th 11, 01:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default (Way OT) Arachnophobia

No, I'm not really afraid of spiders. Many spiders are beneficial. And
some, like the large black & yellow argiope spiders I had flanking my patio
a couple of years ago are strikingly beautiful.

But I don't want spiders in my house. That's not usually a problem. I
think I might find one small spider corpse inside maybe once a year.

This week I've found two small dead spiders on the floor. I vacuumed them
up, didn't give it a second thought. Until this morning when I went into
the kitchen to make a pot of coffee. There was a (much bigger) spider
sitting by the baseboard. I hate to kill them, I really do. But, with a
sigh, I got out the bug spray and blasted it.

EEEEEEEK! A gazillion teeny tiny baby spiders started swarming off this
thing! OMG! How freaky!

Now I'm worried I might have a spider infestation. How can I tell? And
what on earth do I do if that's the case? Call an exterminator? I worry
about the chemicals they use around Persia. (Yes, I know that's a
contradiction but the area I sprayed was one isolated corner in the
kitchen.)

I certainly can't have the house fumigated. (What about lingering residue
from fumigation?!) John is arriving for a month-long visit on Wednesday; we
(and Persia) would have to stay in a hotel for a few days. That's expensive
and it would freak poor Persia out. Plus hotel/motel rooms are hard to find
here. Parris Island (Marine Corps Recruiting Station) holds weekly
graduations for the recruits every Friday. Family members come from all
over to attend and watch the ceremony so rooms are hard to come by. When my
parents died my brothers had a hard time finding rooms except in the most
expensive hotels - The Marriot, The Hilton, etc.

I don't really expect advice, I'm just venting and freaking out a little bit
at the thought of having to deal with this. I'm sure glad I sprayed that
"mama spider" this morning. If I hadn't I know I'd definitely have been
overrun with them. It's still creeping me out.

Jill

Old May 30th 11, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

There was a (much bigger) spider
sitting by the baseboard. I hate to kill them, I really do. But, with a
sigh, I got out the bug spray and blasted it.

EEEEEEEK! A gazillion teeny tiny baby spiders started swarming off this
thing! OMG! How freaky!

Jill

- - - - - - - - - - - -

That same thing happened to me years ago. It was a rather horrifying sight,
even though I am not afraid of spiders. It was just so unexpected (and
freaky, as you said).

An exterminator once told me that spiders can only be killed by contact
insecticides. I actually like having spiders outdoors because most are
harmless and can even be beneficial. They are pretty good at getting rid of
unwanted insects themselves. I don't like them in the house, though. If
it's just one or two, I try to trap them and put them outdoors. I did *not*
suddenly see an influx of spiders, even after the episode of tiny spiders
swarming off its mother, so you may find the same thing to be true. If you
start having more of a problem, you possibly could vacuum them up (using a
vacuum hose and not the "sweeper" part), then empty the bag or cannister
outside.

MaryL

Old May 30th 11, 03:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On May 30, 7:29*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

I've had that happen before, too. It *is* freaky and more than a
little disconcerting.
But I've never sprayed, and never had a real infestation of spiders.
just "catch and release" for the most part.
I've noticed some years are worse than others for spiders--maybe
weather
conditions affect their numbers.
But I totally understand. *One* spider is no big deal, but seeing
gazillions of
them is creepy. Tarantulas are creepy just because of their sheer
size.

Sherry
Old May 30th 11, 05:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On May 30, 7:52*am, Sherry wrote:
.. Tarantulas are creepy just because of their sheer
size.

But can have unusual uses....where we used to live was a bad area for
gangs of kids who did things like throwing a door at me from the 5th
floor balcony (If something hadn't made me look up I wouldn't be
writing this)/ripping the head of a pigeon thse little charmers had
just airgunned then shoving it head and all through someones letter
box... you get the picture

The lady next door had a Mexican bird eating spider called "Lyon" (Cos
he was always "Lying still"- must have been a cat in a previous life
and hadn't got out of the habit of extensive napping) and the kids
used to yell abuse at her whilst demanding to come in and see her
"Tarantula" didn't seem to occur to them that abusing her was not
likely to achieve a result and anyway even if they'd asked nicely no
way was she going to invite them in- it would have been a lot easier
to just dump her stuff on the pavement and ask them to take it all way
'cos that's what they would have done if she'd let them in..One day we
were standing outside and a gang of these kids came up and started
asking us if we'd perform acts of a sexual nature (I am being polite
here) and generally threatening us and she said "Do you wanna see my
spider?"so they started saying they did not believe she had a spider
so she calmly reached into her pocket and took out a Band Aid box-
their general opinion was no way did this fornicating female dog (As I
say I am being polite) keep her imaginary spider in a Band Aid
box..She opened the box and tilted it slightly and out came some very
long hairy legs.....followed by the spiders face....at this point the
whole lot of them ran off screaming.....

She never had any trouble with them again as none of them obviously
knew all spiders moult their exoskeleton and what she had was the
shell from Lyon's last moult

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old May 30th 11, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lisa Katt[_2_]

"Lesley" skrev i meddelandet
On May 30, 7:52 am, Sherry wrote:
[...]

LOL! That was a good one!
Elisabet

Old May 30th 11, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

MaryL wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

[...]

That is right~! Vacuum then vacuum again and again using crevice tool
in corners and along edges. I had an "invasion" like that when I first
moved here. There must have been hundreds of baby spiders across the
ceiling. They get under the edge of the carpets in the edges of door
ways. Just keep a good vacuum handy. Good luck.
Old May 30th 11, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 5/30/2011 12:15 PM, Lesley wrote:
On May 30, 7:52 am, Sherry wrote:
[...]

Love it!!!!

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old May 30th 11, 07:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default Arachnophobia (No longer way OT)

I just walked into our living room just in front of the telly we have
a spaghetti junction of sundry leads and extension plugs etc for the
TV/PC/Video/DVD etc etc. I always make sure I switch it all off and
unlpug it from the mains before we go to bed...so what I don't want to
see is Sarsi in the middle of it turning boxes over and digging round
leads but she's being very persistent- there's something she wants
under something in there...so I turned over the box she was pawing at
and a hude spider shot out from under it and bolted behind the TV
stand! Sarsi was so obsessed with trying to turn the box over she
didn't even spot it notice her prey had vanished!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

(Who has just realised this means there's a large spider free in the
house....)

Old May 30th 11, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lesley wrote:

On May 30, 7:52*am, Sherry wrote:
[...]

God - those kids are much creepier than any spider! I'm glad your
neighbor freaked them out.

Joyce

--
Loneliness is comforted by the closeness and touch of fur to fur,
skin to skin, or -- skin to fur. -- Paul Gallico