Purrs and prayers

Old December 11th 03, 04:41 AM
Hans Schrøder

Default Purrs and prayers

I have been around on this newsgroup for a while, and I really do appreciate
the stories you all are giving us here.

What I don't like, is the obvious connection some people here are making
between "purring" and "praying". Purring is cute and a sign of good wishes,
prayers are a religious phenomenon which I, as an agnostic, can't relate to.
I love cats, I know that their existence is important to us. The purrs from
a cat can heal more than you would ever believe.

I don't think that the cats would like to know that their purring would be
connected to a supernatural power.

So please, use the correct words: "We pray for [whoever concerned]" if you
mean the religious bit, or use "We purr for [whoever concerned]" if you
don't think prayers to an unknown god will do any good. Just be honest about
it!

Best purrs from me and my cats,
Hans

Old December 11th 03, 05:14 AM
Yowie

"Hans Schrøder" wrote in message
[...]

Some, if not most of us here, believe in both the power of purr *and* the
power of prayer, even if we disagree about what type of prayer, and which
particular deity or deities said prayer is directed to. If you feel
uncomfortable with the concept of praying for someone because of your
beliefs (or lack thereof), please don't feel you need to do so just to "fit
in". Just showing your concern in whatever way you feel in appropriate is
perfectly OK and acceptable.

Although at this point I can only speak for myself, when I say "we're
purring and praying for you" I do actually mean both prayers and purrs. If
you, as an agnostic, want to only take the purrs and feel odd about
accepting prayers, thats fine by me - the prayer parts are offered freely as
a gift and you are under no obligation to take them if you don't want to. I
just trust that, while you may believe they have no power (and thats fine),
you understand the spirit in which the prayers were given. Not as a way of
forcing my faith onto you, but as way of showing my concern for a fellow
planet member who is in need.

Hope that clears things up and I haven't offended you. Religion is a touchy
subject at anytime. We're pretty tolerant on the whole here, as many
different faith traditions are represented - and of course, so are the
agnostics and athiests, and people like me who don't fit well into any
particular category :-)

Yowie

Old December 11th 03, 05:18 AM
Dan Mahoney

Hmmmm. I think it's an accepted thing here. A custom and a show of support.
It's no offence to you. It's just positive thinking for those in distress,
furred or not. I don't see the problem and I don't see why it was so
distressing to you to need to post. I think this is a case of "it's the
thought that counts" considering there are *many* people who do not follow
the same belief system here. I really don't think the cats give a fig.

Besides, some folks mean "pray" when they say "purr", some mean "send
positive vibes", and some mean "purr". It all boils down to "doing
whatever my belief system tells me to do in time of need". Definitely
nothing for the original poster to get upset about.

Old December 11th 03, 05:24 AM
Hans Schrøder

"Karen" wrote in message
Hmmmm. I think it's an accepted thing here. A custom and a show of

support.
It's no offence to you. It's just positive thinking for those in distress,
furred or not. I don't see the problem and I don't see why it was so
distressing to you to need to post. I think this is a case of "it's the
thought that counts" considering there are *many* people who do not follow
the same belief system here. I really don't think the cats give a fig.

Karen

Of course this is an accepted thing here. This is a newsgroup which is
mainly frequented by North Americans (except Canada?), and we all know, at
least us who live outside USA, that religious hypocrisy is an important part
of the daily life of the average US-American. But please, don't pull
innocent cats into this life...

I still ask you to distinguish between purrs and prayers as I stated in my
first posting.

And the dyslectic agnostic wrote down on a note to himself: "is ther a
dog?"

--
Best regards,
Hans

Old December 11th 03, 05:32 AM
Gizela

Hmmmm....a troll perhaps??

I happen to live in Australia and agree with everyone else on this issue,
purrs and prayers meaning a sign of support. When you pray, you aren't
necessarily praying to a specific god but to something you believe in,
whatever that may be to you.

I also happen to find the regular posters to this newsgroup to be VERY nice
and helpful people (you just need to look at all the Chrissie cards on my
shelf) all willing to offer helpful and friendly advice when needed, not to
mention support in times of need (even when it comes to non-cat issues). I
rave about these people to friends and family even though I probably may
never meet most of them (unfortunately).

A question for you though Hans...do you celebrate Christmas? Just think
about that for a while

In the meantime, purrs

Angela and Gizmo

Old December 11th 03, 05:33 AM
Sam Nash

[...]

One of the things I like most about RPCA is its tolerance of other peoples'
beliefs. Some of us have faith in a Supreme Being, others in other forms of
spirituality, and some, as yourself, don't believe in any form. However, we
generally accept each others thoughts of good wishes regardless of the
basis.

Having been in a position recently to be the beneficiary of purrs and/or
prayers, I am grateful for both.

Sam

Old December 11th 03, 05:38 AM
Hans Schrøder

"Yowie" wrote in message

[...]

Well, of course, Yowie!

I surely respect any religion or belief my fellow humans have got, and I
don't want to offend anyone. The reason I wrote what I did was that I didn't
like strange connections between religion and cat purrs. I don't want to go
to bed in the evening and get a purring cat on top of my chest, and then
thinking "Is he praying for me for som reason??"

Hans

Old December 11th 03, 05:45 AM
Marina

"Hans Schrøder" wrote

What I don't like, is the obvious connection some people here are making
between "purring" and "praying". Purring is cute and a sign of good

wishes,
prayers are a religious phenomenon which I, as an agnostic, can't relate

to.
I love cats, I know that their existence is important to us. The purrs

from
a cat can heal more than you would ever believe.

As we have proved many a time here on rpca. If someone wants to throw in a
prayer for good measure, it doesn't bother me, though I'm an atheist myself.
I know that they are given with the best intentions, and not intended to
impose anyone's belief system on me.

--
Marina, your neighbour (in Helsinki, Finland)

Old December 11th 03, 05:46 AM
Hans Schrøder

"Gizela" u wrote in message

A question for you though Hans...do you celebrate Christmas? Just think
about that for a while

Of course I celebrate Christmas! But not necessarily because of the birth of
Jesus, but because it is mid-winters, the darkest time of the year where you
want to get together with family and friends to celebrate. From Christmas
on, the days get longer again, and it is time to look forward to spring and
summer...

--
Hans

prayers needed Jean H Cat anecdotes 1 October 3rd 03 09:30 AM
Purrs and prayers and a little time away.... polonca12000 Cat anecdotes 3 September 27th 03 12:19 AM
Purrs and prayers Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 7 September 14th 03 05:34 PM
Purrs and Prayers for a missing cat Hopitus2 Cat anecdotes 12 August 23rd 03 11:55 PM