Advice, please

Old May 21st 05, 02:21 AM
Gail

Default Advice, please

I am thinking of adopting another cat this summer. I currently have a two
year old neutered male who I got as a stray kitten. He is very playful
(still) and active. Last year, he tormented my two elderly cats (who died of
medical problems last year, also). Any thoughts on the age/sex of the cat I
should adopt? My gut feeling is to adopt a kitten (who would equal his
energy and be easy to integrate), but I feel sorry for all of the adult cats
who need adopting. I am looking at petfinder in my state. Thanks in advance.
Gail

Old May 21st 05, 02:29 AM
bigbadbarry

Gail wrote:
I am thinking of adopting another cat this summer. I currently have a

two
year old neutered male who I got as a stray kitten. He is very

playful
(still) and active. Last year, he tormented my two elderly cats (who

died of
medical problems last year, also). Any thoughts on the age/sex of the

cat I
should adopt? My gut feeling is to adopt a kitten (who would equal

his
energy and be easy to integrate), but I feel sorry for all of the

adult cats
who need adopting. I am looking at petfinder in my state. Thanks in

advance.
Gail

I am sorry for you loss as mentioned above. Do you suspect that the
"tormenting" assisted in your unfortunate loss?

Good luck with finding a new playmate...for the tormentor (who Im sure
is sweet).

Old May 21st 05, 02:36 AM
Gail

No, Freddie just was very playful with them. They were geriatric cats (15
and 17), who were in no mood to play. The 15 year old died of chronic renal
failure and the 17 year old died of a sarcoma on her leg. It was just tough
on everyone trying to keep everyone happy and stress-free.
Gail
"bigbadbarry" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old May 21st 05, 02:38 AM
Cheryl

On Fri 20 May 2005 09:21:51p, Gail wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
link.net):

I am thinking of adopting another cat this summer. I currently
have a two year old neutered male who I got as a stray kitten.
He is very playful (still) and active. Last year, he tormented
my two elderly cats (who died of medical problems last year,
also). Any thoughts on the age/sex of the cat I should adopt? My
gut feeling is to adopt a kitten (who would equal his energy and
be easy to integrate), but I feel sorry for all of the adult
cats who need adopting. I am looking at petfinder in my state.
Thanks in advance. Gail

I would adopt one cat younger than yours. Not a kitten, but a one-
year-old. Take a toy like Da Bird or a stick toy with a feather on
the end with you and see how he/she reacts. I don't think gender
makes a difference. If kitty plays with the toy, kitty is outgoing
(because you're a stranger). Before you go, decide on the
personality of the cat that you think will get along with your
male.

Since you have a male, I can't stress enough that he will accept
kittens of any gender. Though, I do admire anyone who adopts older
kitties.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old May 21st 05, 02:48 AM
bigbadbarry

"Gail" wrote in message
k.net...
| No, Freddie just was very playful with them. They were geriatric cats (15
| and 17), who were in no mood to play. The 15 year old died of chronic
renal
| failure and the 17 year old died of a sarcoma on her leg. It was just
tough
| on everyone trying to keep everyone happy and stress-free.
| Gail

ah! I only have one cat. He's older than me in terms of years but mercy, he
keeps me moving.

I enjoy it. I like your idea of a kitten. In no time at all, he'll be a good
size for them two to wrestle you know.

Old May 21st 05, 03:22 AM

Gail wrote:
I am thinking of adopting another cat this summer. I currently have a

two
year old neutered male who I got as a stray kitten. He is very

playful
(still) and active. Last year, he tormented my two elderly cats (who

died of
medical problems last year, also). Any thoughts on the age/sex of the

cat I
should adopt? My gut feeling is to adopt a kitten (who would equal

his
energy and be easy to integrate), but I feel sorry for all of the

adult cats
who need adopting. I am looking at petfinder in my state. Thanks in

advance.
Gail

As long as the adult in question is active and playful, and gets along
with other cats, you could do quite well with an adult.

Back in February, I adopted an adult male. They figure he is about 4
years old. He was intact until they got him, so neutered only 2 weeks
before I adopted him.

I have 2 cats already, ages 18, 11, and 4. He blended into the family
really well. He backs down from the 18 and 11 year olds even though
they are half his size. And he plays big time with the 4 year old. In
fact, he plays so much with Chase, that Chase doesn't attack Kira
nearly as much, making it a more pleasant experience for everybody.

So, I would say that an adult cat who is playful and socialble would be
a great addition to your home. It just depends on the cats involved.

Old May 21st 05, 07:09 AM

I'd encourage you to look for a high energy one or two year old cat -
they
abound in shelters. You may have a slightly longer introduction time to
work out, but afterwards the two cats will benefit from being closer in
age. Look for a cat who is interested in the other cats at the shelter,
and dying to play . The shelter volunteers are great sources of info on
the personalities of the cats. And when you get them home, keep them
separated until their curiousity surpasses their anxiety, expect a
little tumbling around at the beginning and redirect their aggressive
energy into play. In a few months, it should all be fine and you'll
have a cute pair, and have done a wonderful thing by rescuing an adult
cat :

I broke all the rules and introduced two two year old females with
completely different personalities. It all worked out fine. Just be
patient
with the process and make sure you pick a cat with social tendencies
and a similiar love for play.

Old May 22nd 05, 08:00 AM
Phil P.

"Gail" wrote in message
ink.net...
I am thinking of adopting another cat this summer. I currently have a two
year old neutered male who I got as a stray kitten. He is very playful
(still) and active. Last year, he tormented my two elderly cats (who died

of
medical problems last year, also). Any thoughts on the age/sex of the cat

should adopt? My gut feeling is to adopt a kitten (who would equal his
energy and be easy to integrate), but I feel sorry for all of the adult

cats
who need adopting. I am looking at petfinder in my state. Thanks in

advance.
Gail

I would adopt a 1 or 2-year old female- but that's me.

Best of luck,

Phil

Old May 22nd 05, 08:05 AM
-L.

Gail wrote:
I am thinking of adopting another cat this summer. I currently have a

two
year old neutered male who I got as a stray kitten. He is very

playful
(still) and active. Last year, he tormented my two elderly cats (who

died of
medical problems last year, also). Any thoughts on the age/sex of the

cat I
should adopt? My gut feeling is to adopt a kitten (who would equal

his
energy and be easy to integrate), but I feel sorry for all of the

adult cats
who need adopting. I am looking at petfinder in my state. Thanks in

advance.
Gail

honestly, I am partial to male cats and have had much better luck
adopting same-sex partnerships than mixed-sex. If he is two years
old, I'd get a younger male - maye a teenager - like 8-10 mos. That
way he's young enough to "grow into" the relationship, and not as much
of a threat to your existing cat as an adult would be. But a laid-back
adult cat might work as well. Some cats just get along with any other
animal.

Good luck,
-L.

Old May 22nd 05, 03:41 PM
Mary

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Gail" wrote in message
ink.net...
I am thinking of adopting another cat this summer. I currently have a

two
year old neutered male who I got as a stray kitten. He is very playful
(still) and active. Last year, he tormented my two elderly cats (who

died
of
medical problems last year, also). Any thoughts on the age/sex of the

cat
should adopt? My gut feeling is to adopt a kitten (who would equal his
energy and be easy to integrate), but I feel sorry for all of the adult

cats
who need adopting. I am looking at petfinder in my state. Thanks in

advance.
Gail

I would adopt a 1 or 2-year old female- but that's me.

Phil, this brings up a question I have often wondered about. Most of the
time that we have people in here about really bad cat conflicts, it seems to
me they are between two males. Are two males of similar ages more likely to
have conflicts, assuming they are neutered, than, say, two females or a
female or a male?