UPDATE: Fluffy's lump

Old June 5th 10, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default UPDATE: Fluffy's lump

Just got back from TED

Not good news.

Its a hard mass, this suggests a tumour.

Her back lymph nodes are also 'up' which may either be from 'fighting'
the tumour or because it has already mestatisised and its in them -
there's little point finding out which. Still, the mass is entirely
contained in the breast tissue, and that she's in otherwise good health
for a dog her age. She hasn't lost any weight since last year (in fact
she's put half a kilo on) and is just as goofy as she's always been. He
major form of suffering would be from the lack of socks to eat and sheep
to herd than anything medical.

Unless the pathology is cheap (which I doubt) I won't bother to find out
what sort of tumour it is, because it doesn't really matter. She won't
be put through chemo or radiotherapy even if it was an agressive variety
- she's an old dog and at this point its more quality of her remaining
life than curing everything that ails her.

Anyway it turns out, the current treatment is a lumpectomy. Its is
simple, quick, surgery, with minimum risk. I can't afford to give it to
her, but she's having one anyway - I'm hoping the tax check we will get
later in the year will keep the credit card company from coming to eat us.

The logical part of me knows she'll have to go 'sometime', and that
'sometime' keeps getting closer each day that passes. The emotional part
wants to hang on to her as long as I can - for as long as she's happy
being the Fluffster and being a really clumsy, graceless cat in a giant
dog suit.

Yowie :-(

Old June 5th 10, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

I fully understand, Yowie. I'm sorry it's not obviously something simple
like a cyst. I'd make exactly the same decision you've made.

Hugs and purrs for all of you.

Joy

Old June 5th 10, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Joy wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

Me too Best wishes. MLB
Old June 5th 10, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

Lots of purrs for Fluffy for however long they are needed. She is an
honorary cat, right?

I'm all the sudden feeling a whole lot better about the nearly $200
US vet bill I had today for a perfectly healthy four year old dog.
Shots, heartworm test and meds, and flea meds. Teeth don't even need
cleaned yet.

She's over feeling betrayed and sorry for herself, so tomorrows tail
wags and happy tongue and mad dashes will be for Fluffy.

Jo

Old June 5th 10, 05:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jun 4, 8:07*pm, Yowie wrote:
[...]

FWIW, given her age I would do the same thing. Remembering
Orion's bout with chemotherapy for the vaccine-site sarcoma.
It's a hard decision to make; when the medical treatment is
available but you know how tough it is on them and the vet
isn't giving you a real good chance of recovery. If he'd been a young
cat it would have been different.
But a lumpectomy isn't all that bad --sincere purrs sent that it's an
effective treatment and Fluff is around for many more years.
Lots of love sent to Fluff, Cary, Joel and you.

Sherry
Old June 5th 10, 06:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Yowie wrote:
gentle snip
The logical part of me knows she'll have to go 'sometime', and that
'sometime' keeps getting closer each day that passes. The emotional
part wants to hang on to her as long as I can - for as long as she's
happy being the Fluffster and being a really clumsy, graceless cat in
a giant dog suit.

I'm sorry it wasn't better news, Yowie. Hugs and purrs. Make the most of
the time she has left. As long as she is such a happy goggie, just enjoy
her as much as you can.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old June 5th 10, 06:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral[_2_]

On Jun 4, 6:07*pm, Yowie wrote:
[...]

I'm really sorry, Yowie. And I understand why you'd move mountains to
make her more comfortable and hopefully extend her life, as well.

Melissa
Old June 5th 10, 09:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

On 5 June, 02:07, Yowie wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry for your bad news Yowie. I think you're making the right
decision, sometimes it seems that putting a pet through a long and
arduous treatment is more for our benefit than theirs, especially when
they're getting on. Fluff is in the home she's always known, with the
family who loves her, and she's lucky in that.

Jeanette

Old June 5th 10, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_3_]

On Jun 4, 6:07*pm, Yowie wrote:

Anyway it turns out, the current treatment is a lumpectomy. Its is
simple, quick, surgery, with minimum risk. I can't afford to give it to
her, but she's having one anyway - I'm hoping the tax check we will get
later in the year will keep the credit card company from coming to eat us..

Sending purrs for the Fluffster

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs