jaundice in elderly cat - need objective advice

Old May 20th 05, 05:31 AM

Default jaundice in elderly cat - need objective advice

I got home from work last night to discover that my 19 year old cat has
jaundice.I took him to the vet this morning.

I knew it was serious, but I figured it was either treatable, or I
would be comforting him til he took a turn for the worse. After having
been at the vet, I know now that it is more serious than that. I came
away thinking I would probably have to put him down tomorrow.

They sent the bloodwork out for a more detailed analysis than they can
do inhouse. They will have the results in the morning. From what the
vet said, it doesn't sound like there is much hope. If it is a
parasite, then they can treat that. But it is most likely a more
serious problem.

The vet listed some things they can do, but they don't sound like they
would extend his life by very much, and I'm not sure if they worth
putting him through it. He is also dehydrated, so that is the first
thing to work on. The vet did say that he is not suffering since he is
still eating (though not as much as before).

My mom talked to a friend who used to be a vet tech, and she had
another idea. She said that sometimes an older cat can get dehydrated
and that can be the cause for the jaundice. And that getting him
rehydrated would be enough to get him past this. She said I could buy
the supplies the from the vet, and she would show me how to do it at
home so that I could try it and keep him at home.

Part of me says that this is worth the try. Maynard is still eating,
and I shouldn't give up on him. And part of me is wondering if I am
grasping at straws in a selfish effort to keep him alive.

What do you think? Is it worth a try, or would I be prolonging his
suffering? If I try it, how soon should I know if it is helping? Will
the yellow go away fairly quickly? Will I know that it is working? How
long should I wait for new bloodwork?

Old May 20th 05, 07:14 AM
kitkatluna

I have no advice...only hugs for you and Maynard. I know how much that
cat means to you!!!!

(((((((((MAYNARD)))))))))))
xoxoxoxo

Pam
Old May 20th 05, 08:18 AM

-L. wrote:

Sorry to hear about your kitty. Bloodwork generally will take less
than 24 hours to get results, but it depends upon the panel they run,
the vet and the lab's turn-over rate.

It sounds like they send it all out at once at the end of the day and
then get the results in the morning. So, they should have it at 8am. I
asked them to call and talk to my mom as I will probably be unable to
speak. I had trouble at the vet. My voice kept quitting.

When a cat is jaundiced enough
to be yellow in appearance, it's pretty bad.

I could see it a little on Wednesday night, and it was bright today.
I'm not sure if my eyes are playing tricks, but I think it is less
bright now. I have been forcing water down him. I wish now that we had
at least gotten a shot to hydrate him. The vet didn't mention it, and I
didn't think of it. They only mentioned an IV which would mean leaving
him there, and I don't want to leave him (and stress him), if there is
no hope. At home, he has been taking turns napping in his favorite
chairs and favorite laps. He had some gravy off the cat food and some
peas from the tuna caserole (one of his favorites).

Usually this is a sign of
liver and/or kidney failure. You can do sub-cutaneous fluids at home
as long as the cat tolerates it, and I would keep him as comfortable

as
possible, but understand that it is probably a stop-gap measure and
that there is underlying disease condition that may or may not be
treatable. If he declines or stops eating, it's time to let him go.

Yes, if it will keep him comfortable, then I will do it. If he quits
eating, then I will know for sure that he has given up.

Old May 20th 05, 03:49 PM
Phil P.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Speak to your vet about Denosyl- its a nutritional supplement not a drug-
that protects liver cells from cell death and may also help with cell
regeneration, and *especially* Ursodiol (ursodeoxycholic acid) (UDCA). UDCA
increases bile flow and reduces hepatocyte toxic effects of bile salts. If
your cat is jaundiced, he might a have a problem in his bilary tree in which
case UDCA would almost definitely help.

Mention these two possibilities to your vet as soon as possible- before you
make an irreversible decision.

Best of luck,

Phil

Old May 20th 05, 05:08 PM
Mary

"kitkatluna" wrote in message
m...
I have no advice...only hugs for you and Maynard. I know how much that
cat means to you!!!!

(((((((((MAYNARD)))))))))))
xoxoxoxo

Pam

Oh no, I did not realize it was Maynard.
Hugs and prayers from me, too.

Old May 20th 05, 06:15 PM

Phil P. wrote:

Speak to your vet about Denosyl- its a nutritional supplement not a

drug-
that protects liver cells from cell death and may also help with cell
regeneration, and *especially* Ursodiol (ursodeoxycholic acid)

(UDCA). UDCA
increases bile flow and reduces hepatocyte toxic effects of bile

salts. If
your cat is jaundiced, he might a have a problem in his bilary tree

in which
case UDCA would almost definitely help.

Mention these two possibilities to your vet as soon as possible-

before you
make an irreversible decision.

Thanks! It sounds like it is worth a try. He looks more yellow today,
but he's still getting around and eating. And he purrs everytime
anybody picks him up and cuddles (that's normal for him - he's always
had the best motor).

Old May 21st 05, 02:07 AM

I got the bloodwork results back. His liver enzymes were all elevated,
and they listed his liver as severe. But his kidneys looked good, and
they seemed a little more positive.

I took him in today, and they gave me a short course on how to do the
the fluids at home. We did the first round there in the office. I also
got some antibiotics, and I asked about the supplements that Phil
recommended. One is a special order, so if he improves well over the
next week, I will have them order it. The other one I can get at a
health store. Hopefully, I can find that one tonight.

He is still eating and getting around. He's spending more time on my
bed and less time in the living room chairs (his normal hangout). He
ate well before the vet visit, and a little more when we got home, less
than an hour later. So, his appetite is good. The nurse that did the
blooddraw also commented that he is sassy and still has some energy.
Apparently, he told off a big dog in the back room.

Hopefully, I will be able to report some improvement as the meds and
fluids take affect.

I know he is old, and he still may not live that much longer, but I am
feeling better about the situation now. I was really afraid I would
lose him in the next few days, and it sounds like he has a fighting
chance to hang in there.

Old May 21st 05, 05:29 AM
Mary

wrote

I know he is old, and he still may not live that much longer, but I am
feeling better about the situation now. I was really afraid I would
lose him in the next few days, and it sounds like he has a fighting
chance to hang in there.

Meghan, Maynard has had the very best friend any cat could
have in you. He is a lucky, lucky boy. My heart is with you
during this hard time, and I hope he has many more good
months to come.

Old May 21st 05, 05:37 AM

Mary wrote:
wrote

I know he is old, and he still may not live that much longer, but I

am
feeling better about the situation now. I was really afraid I would
lose him in the next few days, and it sounds like he has a fighting
chance to hang in there.

Meghan, Maynard has had the very best friend any cat could
have in you. He is a lucky, lucky boy. My heart is with you
during this hard time, and I hope he has many more good
months to come.

Thanks. I am relieved that we at least have some more time. I did
realize that I stopped giving canned cat food on a regular basis. I
used to give a can every night, but we did some rearranging, and I got
out of the habit. That may have been enough to cause Maynard to get
dehydrated. So, I will go back to the canned food. Right now, I am
offering him several cans a day so that he can lick off the fresh
gravy. Once he settles down okay, I can probably stick with 2 cans a
day, which is more than I used to do. I want to keep him on his senior
kibble too since that has made a huge difference with his arthritis.

Hopefully, I'm not imagining it, but I think his yellow ears are less
bright. If I'm right, it should be more obvious.