Catnip effect?

Old October 11th 03, 09:47 PM
Chakolate

Default Catnip effect?

Hi, all,

A quick question if you don't mind.

I give my cats quite a bit of catnip, both fresh and dried. A few weeks
ago, some workmen started sandblasting the house next door, and one of my
cats, Pi, got very spooked. He hid all day while they were there, making
noise with the machines and shouting.

A months after they had finished, he was still very easily spooked. Even
the little girl who comes to visit scared him. Since her first act on
visiting is always to give the cats treats, they love her and usually come
running.

It occurred to me that the catnip may have been exaggerating his paranoia,
so I stopped it for a while. He became, slowly, his old self again. He
also dropped the extra pound he'd been carrying around.

As a test, I gave him more catnip last night, and he's been hiding all day.

Okay, well I guess that wasn't all that quick, :-) , but here's the
question: Has anybody else observed this sort of behavior? Is it really
the catnip? My other cat hasn't changed a bit, with or without the catnip.

TIA,

Chakolate

--

On sadness:
The cure for this ill is not to sit still,
Old October 11th 03, 10:07 PM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
Chakolate wrote:

[...]

Hmmmm. I'm harking back to times in my college days when I'd hide in my
room, paranoid and stoned out of my gourd.

Otherwise, I'm of no help to you at all, I'm afraid! Mine don't get
catnip that often.

Priscilla

Old October 11th 03, 10:15 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Chakolate" wrote in message
.4...
[...]

I don't know the answer Pi, but no, I haven't noticed that sort of
effect. But who knows, maybe it has that effect on him. Maybe some other
cats out there react as he does (if that's what he's reacting to), or maybe
it's a Pi sort of idiosyncrasy.

One of my cats, Demelza, never reacted to catnip till she was about 7 yrs.
old - I'd read (many sources) that approx. one-third of cats just don't ever
react to catnip, so I assumed she was one of them. Till one day she
reacted. Demelza becomes a 'wild woman' with catnip; funny to observe. ;-)
Otoh, she short-circuits on it fairly quickly - IOW - she becomes satiated
after a very short while; 5 - 10 minutes, & then ignores it & acts normal
again. I've read that cats just don't OD on catnip - that they have
built-in saturation points, & from what I've seen w/ my cats, I'd agree. My
other cats hare wallowed in it/eaten it for 15 - 20 minutes at a time, tops.

Besides Demelza, my other 3 cats have all liked catnip from when they were
young (maybe 1 - 2 yrs. old), some more than others. Debbie *loved* it -
dried or fresh - and her reaction was the opposite of Demelza's - Debbie
would get all mellow, eating it & rolling round in it, in a happy but mellow
sort of way. It appeared to really relax her, so during her last 4 - 5
years when she chronically ill (liver disease & then also CRF) I gave it to
her fairly frequently - maybe 3X/week, esp. if she was going through one of
her occasional medical slumps - I think it provided
forget-I-don't-feel-so-hot & just-feel-relaxed-&-actively-happy interludes
for her.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old October 11th 03, 10:30 PM
Cathy Friedmann

Do you know, when replying to Chakolate's post, I thought I was in another
ng, w/ an OT post?! Then your reply reinforced that feeling. ;-)

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old October 11th 03, 11:06 PM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
"Cathy Friedmann" wrote:

Do you know, when replying to Chakolate's post, I thought I was in another
ng, w/ an OT post?! Then your reply reinforced that feeling. ;-)

Yes, I did notice the constellation of thread participants myself. :-)

Priscilla