Cats lethargic after shots?

Old December 18th 11, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

Default Cats lethargic after shots?

Our two cats, Edgar and Agatha, got rabies and distemper shots yesterday,
and in the evening became very sleepy and lethargic. They hardly ate, they
did use their litterbox, but all they want is to lie down and sometimes
sleep. They didn't move all night.

This morning, it was the same. Just lying there, sleeping. They'll raise
their head if disturbed, but then they go back to sleep.

Having raised three kids, we are aware that every time our human babies were
inoculated against something, they were quiet and subdued for a day or two,
hardly smiling, often crying more than usual.

This normal in cats too?

Thanks,

Jay

Old December 18th 11, 06:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_8_]

"J J Levin" wrote in
:

Our two cats, Edgar and Agatha, got rabies and distemper shots
yesterday, and in the evening became very sleepy and lethargic. They
hardly ate, they did use their litterbox, but all they want is to lie
down and sometimes sleep. They didn't move all night.

This morning, it was the same. Just lying there, sleeping. They'll
raise their head if disturbed, but then they go back to sleep.

Having raised three kids, we are aware that every time our human
babies were inoculated against something, they were quiet and subdued
for a day or two, hardly smiling, often crying more than usual.

This normal in cats too?

Thanks,

Jay

Mine will sleep the rest of the day and evening after shots, but are fine
the next morning.

Bobble
Old December 18th 11, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

"Bobble" wrote in message
"J J Levin" wrote in
:

Our two cats, Edgar and Agatha, got rabies and distemper shots
yesterday, and in the evening became very sleepy and lethargic. They
hardly ate, they did use their litterbox, but all they want is to lie
down and sometimes sleep. They didn't move all night.

This morning, it was the same. Just lying there, sleeping. They'll
raise their head if disturbed, but then they go back to sleep.

Having raised three kids, we are aware that every time our human
babies were inoculated against something, they were quiet and subdued
for a day or two, hardly smiling, often crying more than usual.

This normal in cats too?

Thanks,

Jay

Mine will sleep the rest of the day and evening after shots, but are fine
the next morning.

Bobble

You have helped put our minds at ease. Thanks!

Jay

Old December 18th 11, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 12/18/2011 09:55 AM, J J Levin wrote:
Our two cats, Edgar and Agatha, got rabies and distemper shots yesterday,
and in the evening became very sleepy and lethargic. They hardly ate, they
did use their litterbox, but all they want is to lie down and sometimes
sleep. They didn't move all night.

This morning, it was the same. Just lying there, sleeping. They'll raise
their head if disturbed, but then they go back to sleep.

Having raised three kids, we are aware that every time our human babies were
inoculated against something, they were quiet and subdued for a day or two,
hardly smiling, often crying more than usual.

This normal in cats too?

Thanks,

Jay

Yes. The rabies shots always made TuTu sick for a few days.

We are sending feelbetterpurrs for your fur kids. MLB
Old December 18th 11, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 12/18/2011 10:55 AM, J J Levin wrote:
Our two cats, Edgar and Agatha, got rabies and distemper shots yesterday,
and in the evening became very sleepy and lethargic. They hardly ate, they
did use their litterbox, but all they want is to lie down and sometimes
sleep. They didn't move all night.

This morning, it was the same. Just lying there, sleeping. They'll raise
their head if disturbed, but then they go back to sleep.

Having raised three kids, we are aware that every time our human babies were
inoculated against something, they were quiet and subdued for a day or two,
hardly smiling, often crying more than usual.

This normal in cats too?

Thanks,

Jay

I'm late reading this but, as other have said it's normal for them to be
a bit groggy. However, if it continues for more than 24 hours, do call
your vet (Monday morning would be soon enough unless they're showing
other signs of feeling unwell).

Are they eating and drinking today?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old December 18th 11, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 12/18/2011 2:14 PM, CatNipped wrote:
[...]

I think I've mentioned this before or you may have read someone else
talking about this. Just to keep in mind for the future...

Cats are extremely stoic - I think the most stoic animal on the planet
(I always think of Scarlett, the cat who was severely burned (lost ears
even) going back into a burning building time after time until all of
her kittens were saved, when I think of how stoic cats can be). So you
can't rely on them whining or showing any overt outwards signs of being
ill.

This is where it's important to really know your cats. Study their
behavior, their eating and drinking habits, where and how much they
sleep (sick cats will try to find a hiding place to lay to keep out of
sight of "predators"), when and how much they use their litter boxes,
etc. Any change in any of these, or other, behaviors could be a sign of
illness... of course, cats being cats it could also be a sign of a
"b*stard cat trick" (BCT). ;

Old December 18th 11, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

This morning they did not eat. We placed a container of water next to each
one. I am at work now, but my son just told me that Agatha has begun eating,
and that Edgar, who was upstairs on a rug all day has come down to his
normal perch on the cat tree.

We'll give them some moist food tonight and see if they eat, but it looks
like they are getting back to normal.

Thanks for the advice.

Jay

Old December 19th 11, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

The cats have now resumed their normal eating and drinking schedule. We came
back from work, they devoured a can of salmon, they drank, and they are
graciously allowing us once again to scratch their heads. The whole episode
lasted about 30 hours after they got their shots.

Crisis over, I guess until the next rabies shot next year.

Thanks to everyone for your kind advice and assistance.

Jay

Old December 19th 11, 01:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

i have one vaccine reactor in my crew, an additional shot takes all tahat
away, but then my vet does shots more to my liking so i don't mind spending
the extra bit for her to not have ill effects, Lee

Old December 19th 11, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 12/18/2011 6:25 PM, J J Levin wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I'm glad to hear the babes are well and have forgiven you your heinous
betrayal grin. ;