Today, September 19th, is -----

Old September 19th 14, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Larry Stark

Default Today, September 19th, is -----

Today, September 19th, is the start of
Adopt-a-Less-Adoptable-Pet-Week, an effort to shine the spotlight on
harder-to-place pets. A survey of shelters and rescue groups found
that ninety-five percent of their shelter and rescue group members
currently have adoptable pets for whom they are having a very hard
time finding homes. Another thirty-three percent of their adoption
groups have had pets who were posted on the Petfinder website for one
to two years without being adopted, and twenty-seven percent have had
pets who’ve waited more than two years for a forever home. Who are
these animals? Mostly senior animals, followed by pets with medical
issues, victims of breed discrimination, shy animals, and the ones who
need to be the only pet in the family. Sometimes they’re just the
wrong color, or not the breed someone had in mind. Sadly, their fate
is often euthanization.
Old September 19th 14, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Larry Stark" wrote in message

[...]

~~~~~~~~
I did not know there was such a thing as Adopt-a-Less-Adoptable-Pet-Week,
and I hope it is successful. Duffy would have fit that category when he was
in the shelter. I saw him listed on Petfinder.com. He was blind and had
been in the shelter for four months (that's a long time, but fortunately not
years). He is the most wonderful little boy imaginable, and an untold
number of people had automatically rejected him simply because he is blind.
Ironically, he is definitely not a "special needs" cat. He can do anything
that any sighted cat can do, and he is a wonderful, loving little guy. It
hurts to think of him locked in a cage for all that time, but it was lucky
for me that he was there "waiting" for me. I have also had two black
cats--firs Holly and now Nikki. Both are (were for Holly) absolutely
gorgeous cats, healthy and loving. For some reason, black cats are
difficult to place in homes, and it is all based on color.

MaryL

Old September 20th 14, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:45:02 -0400, Larry Stark
wrote:
Today, September 19th, is the start of
Adopt-a-Less-Adoptable-Pet-Week, an effort to shine the spotlight on
harder-to-place pets.

Coincidentally, that reminds me that that was the week that I adopted
Spicey, a very cute but less adoptable kitty.

Her current thing is that she tries to gently open by eyelids in the
morning with her claws.
Old September 20th 14, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:
Today, September 19th, is the start of
Adopt-a-Less-Adoptable-Pet-Week, an effort to shine the spotlight on
harder-to-place pets.

Coincidentally, that reminds me that that was the week that I adopted
Spicey, a very cute but less adoptable kitty.

Her current thing is that she tries to gently open by eyelids in the
morning with her claws.

It's a good thing she's gentle about it!

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old October 1st 14, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

[...]

Just saw this. Great idea.

Boyfriend came here on his own, so shy he was unadoptable..and when KFC
came, she was so grumpy that she was pretty unadoptable too so I think I've
done my bit for the unadoptables.
But if I ever have a vacancy if Boyfie passes away before me, I will adopt
the most difficult, shy, ex-stinky half-feral tomcat in the shelter. This
home would be perfect for him.
Boyfie was all of these, except stinky.

I never minded if he was shy for years (he was) eventually he adores me.
No-one else though..
so I could take on on a half-feral with no expectations. If I got one, he'd
have to be in the house to get acclimatised for a while. I am used to "I
don't use a litter box, I will poo in the bath"
but after that he could go out and hunt around the chicken huts and if he
didn't want to come back in the house, there is still a bed in the tool
shed. He could come back to be fed if he preferred to be out.

It's not going to happen any time soon. Boyfie would be livid.
But I hate the fact that boycats don't get neutered and then become half
feral.. but Boyfie has forgotten that it happened to him and that he was
lucky that Kitty Farmcat noticed him and brought him here..

Old October 1st 14, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

news
wrote:
Today, September 19th, is the start of
Adopt-a-Less-Adoptable-Pet-Week, an effort to shine the spotlight on
harder-to-place pets.

Coincidentally, that reminds me that that was the week that I adopted
Spicey, a very cute but less adoptable kitty.

Her current thing is that she tries to gently open by eyelids in the
morning with her claws.

I suspect that might have made Suz laugh

Old October 3rd 14, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rockinghorse Winner[_8_]

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 02:20:42 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
[...]

I am immediately attracted by the runt, the guy or girl who gets
nosed out of the food bowl by his mates, who dislikes loud company,
who seeks invisibility. These are the ones who gain my affection the
fastest.