Meow-impaired kitties?

Old September 5th 03, 07:15 PM
Dan and Nancy Mahoney

Default Meow-impaired kitties?

Does anyone else have meow-impaired kitties?

Cleopatra and Amelia have nice, cat-like meows. Cleo's has a demanding,
imperative tone while Amelia's is a more easy-going pleasant meow.

Tabitha has a pretty well-developed squeak. She only uses it generally
when she's wrestling with Samuel or when she's displeased. She purrs
just fine, but no real moeows.

Samuel, though - we call him Silent Sam. He too has a great, powerful
purr, but even less of a meow than Tabitha. He *can* make noise - when I
first trapped him in the parking lot at Stater Bros he screamed at the
top of his lungs ("MEOW! MEOW! He's going to eat me! MEOW!"). And the
one time that I stepped on a Sammy tail he let out a loud screech. But
he *never* purrs. The closest he has come was this morning. As I was
dishing out the kittie's food, I heard a "squeak- squeak" from near my
feet. Tabitha was sitting on the stove watching me, so it wasn't her. I
loked down and saw - Samuel.

Are my two tiniest ones really weird, or is it normal for kittens
(they're both about 3 months old or so) to nothave developed their
meowing skills yet?

Dan

Old September 5th 03, 09:12 PM
Quetzalcoatl

in article , Dan and Nancy
Mahoney at wrote on 5/9/03 7:15 pm:

[...]

Actually I tell ya, my Sid has started to "squeak" every now and then rather
than properly miaow! It's the most bizarre thing. He opens his mouth and
starts to miaow, but then a sound like a squeaky-toy comes forth! :-)
--
Miaow!

Amedeo (Moggies -
http://www.kipple.fsnet.co.uk/moggies/)

Old September 5th 03, 09:12 PM
Quetzalcoatl

in article , Jo Firey at
wrote on 5/9/03 8:12 pm:

"Dan and Nancy Mahoney" wrote in message
[...]

Our second male Siamese cat was pretty silent, and both of our feral cats were
nearly
silent.

First Siamese should have had his mouth washed out with soap on a regular
basis. He
walked around swearing half the time. Two current Siamese are talkers. They
like to
come and tell me what they have been doing.

Jo

A silent Siamese?! I'd love to see that! ;-)

Old September 5th 03, 09:42 PM
Dan and Nancy Mahoney

Lisa Katt wrote:
Oh, I think your young kitties will learn. In time.
Hugo Katt has a wide repertoire of meows, that I can interpret quite well (I
think). But once he had a common cold (?) and opened his mouth and meowed -
and nothing came out. That passed.
I don't really remember, but yes, I think kittens only 3 months old will
learn to meow.
Our Swedish kitties says Mjau, by the way.
Elisabet

Samuel used to do that a lot - you could his mouth making the "meow" (or
"mjau"), but nothing would come out. It looked terribly cute!

dan

Old September 6th 03, 04:44 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Dan and Nancy Mahoney wrote:

[...]

I wondered for most of his life whether Patches had suffered some sort
of injury to his larynx (he was a stray for three years before he
adopted me, and no stranger to battles). Once he learned to trust me,
he could purr just fine, and I always knew when his arch-enemy was
outside picking a fight, because he certainly was capable of highly
enraged screams, but I never actually heard him meow. There'd be a sort
of hoarse approximation, when being driven to the vet, but that's the
closest he ever came.

Dan

Old September 6th 03, 06:16 AM
L. Kelly

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
| "Dan and Nancy Mahoney" wrote in message
| Does anyone else have meow-impaired kitties?
|
| Cleopatra and Amelia have nice, cat-like meows. Cleo's has a demanding,
| imperative tone while Amelia's is a more easy-going pleasant meow.
|
| Tabitha has a pretty well-developed squeak. She only uses it generally
| when she's wrestling with Samuel or when she's displeased. She purrs
| just fine, but no real moeows.
|
| Samuel, though - we call him Silent Sam. He too has a great, powerful
| purr, but even less of a meow than Tabitha. He *can* make noise - when I
| first trapped him in the parking lot at Stater Bros he screamed at the
| top of his lungs ("MEOW! MEOW! He's going to eat me! MEOW!"). And the
| one time that I stepped on a Sammy tail he let out a loud screech. But
| he *never* purrs. The closest he has come was this morning. As I was
| dishing out the kittie's food, I heard a "squeak- squeak" from near my
| feet. Tabitha was sitting on the stove watching me, so it wasn't her. I
| loked down and saw - Samuel.
|
| Are my two tiniest ones really weird, or is it normal for kittens
| (they're both about 3 months old or so) to nothave developed their
| meowing skills yet?
|
| Dan
| Our second male Siamese cat was pretty silent, and both of our feral cats were nearly
| silent.
|
| First Siamese should have had his mouth washed out with soap on a regular basis. He
| walked around swearing half the time. Two current Siamese are talkers. They like to
| come and tell me what they have been doing.
|
| Jo

A silent Siamese is something of a rarity......and a Siames that only tells you what he
is doing is almost as rare. Mine likes to tell *ME* what to do....and should also have
his mouth washed out....LOL
--
Hugs,
Lynn

*strip CLOTHES to reply*
Homepage:
http://members.shaw.ca/sewfinefashions/
See my boys: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/papavince_29/

Old September 6th 03, 08:46 AM
Woof B

Can't remember the name of the author, but I read a guide to ensnaring
humans written from the cat's perspective, called "The Silent Miaow".
Apparently the Silent Miaow is one of the most effective weapons in a
cat's armoury. Carrie is an expert.

Paul Gallico.
--
Woof B
Old September 6th 03, 06:36 PM
Bill Reynolds

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 11:15:14 -0700, Dan and Nancy Mahoney
wrote:

Does anyone else have meow-impaired kitties?

Cleopatra and Amelia have nice, cat-like meows. Cleo's has a demanding,
imperative tone while Amelia's is a more easy-going pleasant meow.

Tabitha has a pretty well-developed squeak. She only uses it generally
when she's wrestling with Samuel or when she's displeased. She purrs
just fine, but no real moeows.

Is she a tortie? Mine only squeaks.

Remove TIE to reply.
Old September 6th 03, 06:56 PM
Allegra640

My Lola (she's about a year old) doesn't have a strong "MEEEOWWW" like her
sister Vera. It's more of a peepish "mew."
Old September 6th 03, 09:50 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 20:44:01 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

Dan and Nancy Mahoney wrote:

[...]

Sitting on the stove??? Bad habit!