[food] Cheese!

Old March 22nd 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [food] Cheese!

Yowie wrote:
Most delicious thing I've come across in a long time:

Slice haloumi cheese approx 5 mm thick (half a pencil width thick... I don't
have my metric to imperial convertor)), and pan fry in a light oil. Once its
golden brown on both sides, remove from pan and sprinkle with lime (or
lemon) juice, cracked pepper and sea salt to taste.

To *die* for, and so simple! Perfect with a glass of red.

I've seen Rachael Ray (hyperactive Food Network icon) do something like this
with big, thin slices of Parmesan made with an apple peeler. It sounds
absolutely, decadently sinful nearly to the point of criminal. But what is
haloumi cheese?

Blessed be,
Baha

Old March 22nd 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Baha via CatKB.com" u18616@uwe wrote in message news:5da6e21b348a1@uwe...
Yowie wrote:
Most delicious thing I've come across in a long time:

Slice haloumi cheese approx 5 mm thick (half a pencil width thick... I
don't
have my metric to imperial convertor)), and pan fry in a light oil. Once
its
golden brown on both sides, remove from pan and sprinkle with lime (or
lemon) juice, cracked pepper and sea salt to taste.

To *die* for, and so simple! Perfect with a glass of red.

I've seen Rachael Ray (hyperactive Food Network icon) do something like
this
with big, thin slices of Parmesan made with an apple peeler. It sounds
absolutely, decadently sinful nearly to the point of criminal. But what is
haloumi cheese?

Blessed be,
Baha

For true decadence, sit in a cafe after hours with the owner and friends. A
nice bottle of wine. And a chunk of good parmesan out of the kitchen along
with a vegetable peeler or really sharp knife. Heaven.

Jo

Old March 22nd 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:
My mommy sumtymes gets da stuff called da BREE and I want it! It smelz so
gud! An she gets da GOODA an it smelz gud too! And she uses it to make da
eggz...

Mommy is not nice becuz she doan giv me da CHEEZ. She says it's not gud fur
me anna DOKTOR at da smelly playce sayz I hafta eat just dis kibble. Heh...
I tryes to steal momma's food sumtymes. I's da sneaky cat But she
cotches me. I tryes to get to da kibble sometymes when it's not tyme but
she hears me openin da closet an says, "Not tyme yet!" So I go back an
hafta be da gud kitty. But then she gibs me da kitty scritches an dat feels
gud so I purr and den I go ta sleep wif mommy...

I know i know I know I know!!! Mama and Daddy get stuff called YOGURT that's
really really good and I like to steal it when i can because I'm so hyper and
need lotsa energy so I can go play and wrassle and play and play and play and
they say Naughty Boy Stosh when I do it because it's so GOOD bye bye I hafta
go and play now!!!!

Stosh

Old March 22nd 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [food] Cheese! OT, LONG

Not everyone enjoys freezing their *** off...I've spent 2
winters here now and it's no mystery @ all to me as to the
(LOL) "uncrowded" state.

I consider your irony justified, as you are young and have
no clue as to where I'm coming from....
1. I was born and raised in south FL and have only
moved one other time out of state...to San Jose area, CA
(where it rains all winter)...I'm too old to enjoy all the fun
of the winter sports you do (I am a *great* water-skier, and
foolishly believed till trying to ski downhill that I would have
a slight advantage from that fact: ROFL...no way). Imagine if
you had only seen what goes on here in winter *on tv* or
*movies*, LOL. That's me.
2. People of any advanced age (not you, chickadee) who
ever smoked in their entire life, never mind if they never did,
simply *can't breathe* here - my DIL's parents frequently
have to visit the nearby ER for breathing treatments (IPPB)
when they visit here (my age). Their dead bodies (expression)
would wanna move here in spite of the adorable grandbaby
their daughter produced.....she is the ONLY reason I will
stay here till doomsday, or, pardon me, till hell freezes over..
3. And hoping this explains my bad 'tude toward CO weather
- I don't mind and have actually got acclimated to the extreme
cold; it's the snow/ice messes I'm not used to dealing with and
hate - I close with one of NMR's items on his recent list:" they
go to the lake because they think it's like going to the beach..."
I miss the beaches and the Atlantic.
Trader Joe's sounds like a fun store. Yes, Boulder has a
lot of fun stores, unlike here.

Old March 22nd 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"dnr" wrote in message

[...]

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???

Old March 22nd 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

3. And hoping this explains my bad 'tude toward CO weather
- I don't mind and have actually got acclimated to the extreme
cold; it's the snow/ice messes I'm not used to dealing with and
hate - I close with one of NMR's items on his recent list:" they
go to the lake because they think it's like going to the beach..."

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???

I think, Matt, that it was that Texas thing you posted to 'Nipped;
I don't remember the # of that item but it struck me way funny
as that's the way it is here where much of the population has
never in their life seen or been at a real beach...#11 maybe?
Anyway, the funniest lake "beach" I *ever* went to was
over in the East Bay, CA area, somewhere near Livermo
on this lake (boating was nice, big lake) they had large pebbles
for a "beach", LOL, and I could not believe the natives were
all sprawled out on the rocks, literally, "catching rays" just
like one would do on the soft white sand where I came from
originally. That item fits like a glove IMHO, as there are
many lakes here but from what I see they mainly boat and
fish, not sunbathe, LOL.

Old March 22nd 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Sorry old age is getting to me they way you described it it was something
that I had said personally. Sorry old fart moment

it is like what they say about Florida Home of the newly wed and the nearly
dead but what the heck do we do with the tourist

. ..

Old March 22nd 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-22, dnr penned:

Not everyone enjoys freezing their *** off...I've spent 2
winters here now and it's no mystery @ all to me as to the
(LOL) "uncrowded" state.

I consider your irony justified, as you are young and have
no clue as to where I'm coming from....

I have a little bit of a clue. As my dad is fond of saying, "Who you
are is where you were when ..." ... In my case, I grew up in Virginia
when I wasn't in Germany, and both places have plenty of cold, grey
weather. So, compared to what I'm used to, Colorado is a huge
improvement. Also, having grown up with snow, it doesn't bother me
much (just the shovelling ... and because of my wrist problems, poor
DH is stuck with that).

1. I was born and raised in south FL and have only
moved one other time out of state...to San Jose area, CA
(where it rains all winter)...I'm too old to enjoy all the fun
of the winter sports you do (I am a *great* water-skier, and
foolishly believed till trying to ski downhill that I would have
a slight advantage from that fact: ROFL...no way). Imagine if
you had only seen what goes on here in winter *on tv* or
*movies*, LOL. That's me.

I have a friend who is actually moving back to FL this week from CO.
She also tried to explain to me the idea of just not being familiar
with snow. It's hard for me to fathom. I have a friend in GA; he was
wondering what they made snowboarder half pipes out of. When I told
him I was pretty sure they were just snow, he was dubious, because
from the little he knew of snow, it couldn't be hard enough to
withstand the landings.

I don't think water skiing would translate very well to snow sports.
I do know that I can't water ski. I'm also not a great swimmer. My
mom is very much a beach person; I can take it or leave it. Maybe if
I were a better swimmer ...

2. People of any advanced age (not you, chickadee) who
ever smoked in their entire life, never mind if they never did,
simply *can't breathe* here - my DIL's parents frequently
have to visit the nearby ER for breathing treatments (IPPB)
when they visit here (my age).

Eesh. My parents are in their late 60s and smoked most of their
lives, but they do okay here, and also in Park City (8000ish ft
altitude) where my aunt lives. But YMMV, of course. My grandma came
here for my wedding, and she's in her 80s, but then, she was only here
for a couple of days. My dad does have trouble breathing when he
sleeps in Boulder, but oddly enough, he's fine in Park City ...

Their dead bodies (expression) would wanna move here in spite of the
adorable grandbaby their daughter produced.....she is the ONLY reason
I will stay here till doomsday, or, pardon me, till hell freezes
over..

Well, you gotta do what you gotta do. It's too bad that, in order to
do it, you have to live somewhere that you don't really enjoy. (Have
you tried hiking? There are some really beautiful hikes in the
mountains, and some really aren't that strenuous ... okay, I'll stop
now ...)

3. And hoping this explains my bad 'tude toward CO weather - I
don't mind and have actually got acclimated to the extreme cold; it's
the snow/ice messes I'm not used to dealing with and hate - I close
with one of NMR's items on his recent list:" they go to the lake
because they think it's like going to the beach..." I miss the beaches
and the Atlantic. Trader Joe's sounds like a fun store. Yes, Boulder
has a lot of fun stores, unlike here.

All I can say is, don't move to the central east coast if you think
this is cold and snowy! There's no ice to speak of here in CO, a
couple of real snows every winter, and it's warm enough not to wear a
jacket for a lot of winter days! Okay, the nights are pretty d*mn
cold. But in comparison, if you lived in VA, you wouldn't see the sun
between October and March, you'd be bundled up 24/7, and you would
have to deal with some nightmarish weather conditions (plus all the
traffic that comes from living near DC).

(I woke up one morning in Maine to go skiing, and it was -28F on the
thermometer. That's not counting wind chill. Brrr!)

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 22nd 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

dnr wrote:

Anyway, the funniest lake "beach" I *ever* went to was
over in the East Bay, CA area, somewhere near Livermo
on this lake (boating was nice, big lake) they had large pebbles
for a "beach", LOL, and I could not believe the natives were
all sprawled out on the rocks, literally, "catching rays" just
like one would do on the soft white sand where I came from
originally.

LOL - ocean beaches are the same way (along the coast, that is).
Some of the beaches here have sand, but it's kind of a pebbly, dark
sand, not a nice, clean, soft sand like you have on East Coast
beaches. That's one thing I really miss about New England. On the
other hand, there's no real reason to go to the beach in this area,
because it's usually cold and foggy at the coast, even if it's 90
(32) degrees out and blazingly sunny inland. That's a sorry lesson
I learned the first year I lived here!

I've lived in this area (SF Bay area) for 14 years and I've never
been to a lake! Oh, wait, I went to Tahoe once. But never to a
small, local lake. I didn't even know there were any!

Joyce
Old March 22nd 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-22, dnr penned:

I think, Matt, that it was that Texas thing you posted to 'Nipped; I
don't remember the # of that item but it struck me way funny as
that's the way it is here where much of the population has never in
their life seen or been at a real beach...#11 maybe? Anyway, the
funniest lake "beach" I *ever* went to was over in the East Bay, CA
area, somewhere near Livermo on this lake (boating was nice, big
lake) they had large pebbles for a "beach", LOL, and I could not
believe the natives were all sprawled out on the rocks, literally,
"catching rays" just like one would do on the soft white sand where
I came from originally. That item fits like a glove IMHO, as there
are many lakes here but from what I see they mainly boat and fish,
not sunbathe, LOL.

The "sand" here is awful! And I have to agree, the only way you could
think a lake is anything like the ocean is to never have seen the
ocean ...

You're reminding me that I really should take the time to visit my
parents this summer and enjoy the beach life for a few days.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully