Stone Soup

Old September 17th 11, 02:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Stone Soup

Oh, there are so many versions. This is the most popular.

Some travellers come to a village, carrying nothing more than an empty
cooking pot. Upon their arrival, the villagers are unwilling to share any of
their food stores with the hungry travellers. So the travellers go to the
neck of the stream and fill the pot with water, drop a large stone in it,
and place it over a fire . One of the villagers becomes curious and asks
what they are doing. The travellers answer that they are making "stone
soup", which tastes wonderful, although it still needs a little bit of
garnish to improve the flavor, which they are missing. The villager does not
mind parting with just a little bit of carrot to help them out, so it gets
added to the soup. Another villager walks by, inquiring about the pot, and
the travellers again mention their stone soup which has not reached its full
potential yet. The villager hands them a little bit of seasoning to help
them out. More and more villagers walk by, each adding another ingredient.
Finally, a delicious and nourishing pot of soup is enjoyed by all.

Jill

Old September 17th 11, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 9/16/2011 8:19 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Ah! Thank you Jill. I'd heard the term "stone soup" before, but didn't
know where I came from. I always thought it was a technique used in
ancient times when cooking vessels couldn't be put on a fire because
they'd break. So people would heat stones in a fire and then keep
placing them in the pot one after another until the contents of the pot
were cooked.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old September 17th 11, 03:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

It's probably true about using hot stones to heat things up in what were
(likely) clay-based cooking pots But the tale of Stone Soup is about
being generous and sharing what you have with strangers.

Jill

Old September 17th 11, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

No cluons were harmed when "jmcquown" wrote:
the tale of Stone Soup is about
being generous and sharing what you have with strangers.

I thought it was about tricking people into being generous.

--
Proof of sanity forged upon request
Old September 17th 11, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Mark Edwards" wrote in message
. com...
No cluons were harmed when "jmcquown" wrote:
the tale of Stone Soup is about being generous and sharing what you have
with strangers.

I thought it was about tricking people into being generous.

--
Proof of sanity forged upon request

*************
Sometimes people need to be tricked

Jill

Old September 17th 11, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

No cluons were harmed when "jmcquown" wrote:
Sometimes people need to be tricked

Reminds me of when I told a friend that I liked the moral of the Die
Hard movies.

She laughed until I told her it was "Just. because you can't possibly
win, doesn't mean you should give up".

--
Proof of sanity forged upon request
Old September 17th 11, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Mark Edwards wrote:

No cluons were harmed when "jmcquown" wrote:
the tale of Stone Soup is about
being generous and sharing what you have with strangers.

I thought it was about tricking people into being generous.

GMTA.

Joyce

--
Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he
grows up, he'll never be able to merge his car onto a freeway.
Old September 17th 11, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

It's probably true about using hot stones to heat things up in what were
(likely) clay-based cooking pots But the tale of Stone Soup is about
being generous and sharing what you have with strangers.

I thought it was about being clever and getting stingy people to share
what they have.

Another way to look at it is, if people are asked to give up a lot,
nobody will do it. But if each person is asked to spare just a little
bit, most will do that, and the asker ends up with the same amount.

Joyce

Old September 18th 11, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
On 9/17/2011 4:25 PM, wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

It's probably true about using hot stones to heat things up in what

were
(likely) clay-based cooking pots But the tale of Stone Soup is

about
being generous and sharing what you have with strangers.

I thought it was about being clever and getting stingy people to share
what they have.

Another way to look at it is, if people are asked to give up a lot,
nobody will do it. But if each person is asked to spare just a little
bit, most will do that, and the asker ends up with the same amount.

Joyce

Yeah, it's like here when someone needs help with a vet bill. Nobody can
come up with the $300 to give, but 30 people might be able to give $10.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

I suppose the moral of the story is different depending on who reads it. I
saw it as giving, others saw it as clever (which it was) or taking or
tricking. I like to think there's good in most people (yeah, I'm crazy that
way) and if asked to give a little they'll give what they can.

I think of my grandparents when I think about this story. During the
Depression my mom's mother would feed hobos (yes, the guys who rode the
rails) at the kitchen door, sharing a little of the soup and bread she had
made for her family. She didn't begrudge them being hungry or out of work.
It was just the way things were. She also took in the occasional boarder.
Boarding included a room for the night, dinner and a hot bath. My father's
mother, OTOH, wouldn't give up a single carrot; she'd chase anyone who came
to her door away with a shotgun. Two totally different mindsets.

Jill

[OT] One Stone Pat[_2_] Cat anecdotes 0 September 13th 08 01:15 AM
cost of bladder stone removal edensr Cat health & behaviour 1 January 10th 06 07:37 AM
Calcium Oxalate stone - can't remove Mike S. Cat health & behaviour 11 October 28th 05 09:49 AM
Smoke Likes Her Stone [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 10 October 16th 05 03:50 AM
Kitty hierarchy: NOT engraved in stone, apparently Gabey8 Cat anecdotes 6 March 6th 05 06:50 AM