Kidney disease and hairballs

Old November 14th 04, 04:52 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Kaleo" wrote in message
om...
My cat has mild kidney failure and is now eating one of those low
protein special diets. She used to eat hairball formula cat food that
helped a lot with her hairballs. Now that she's not eating that I
started giving her one of the petroleum hairball rememdys. However
that doesn't seem to be doing her any good. Has anyone else had this
problem or have any advice of what to do for her? I've found some
fiber supplements for cats online, but can I give those to her? One
website said that the fiber absorbs more water so that the hair can
pass easier, but having kidney failure, doesn't she need all the water
she can get?

Otoh, cats in renal failure often get constipated, so as long as she drinks
plenty of water, maybe the fiber will help her out & forestall future
constipation probs?

Cathy

Old November 14th 04, 05:04 AM
Mimi Forsyth

one of the petroleum hairball rememdys. However
that doesn't seem to be doing her any good.

Is olive oil an option?

www.mimiforsyth.com

Old November 14th 04, 11:19 PM
Robin Cook

Kaleo,

One thing here to understand. If you, as a human, take a laxative long
enough, your body builds a tolerance to it where it no longer is effective
as a laxative. So, when you look at laxatives for your sweetie, you need to
alternate them. Like us humans eating different fibered foods to keep our
bodies regular, cats need a similar fiber laxative variation. Your cat will
begin to balk at consuming a gel off your fingers (or swabbed on the paws)
after awhile mostly because the cat knows it isn't beneficial anymore.
There are numerous types of laxatives .. some with more natural healthy
ingredients. Petromalt has pre-measured capsules that you mix in soft
foods. Then, there is the grow-the-grass bowls for indoor cats since they
can't get out to chew on nature. Even buying catnip plants are a healthy
theme .. cats eat only what they need. Realize these petroleum laxatives
(and other laxatives) are diuretics, which can cause a degree of dehydration
and forcing them on your cat can add to kidney stress. Your cat knows what
is bad or good for it to consume. Natural is definitely better for the
system, but the gels are a fast method for a short period of effectiveness.
So, there are some things like green beans, green peas, pumpkin, squash ..
human babyfoods (make sure they don't have onion/garlic
powders/ingredients). If you like Japanese squash/pumpkin, bake some up and
freeze it for later use. The seeded fiber stuff you toss out from your
canteloupe is rich with fiber and nutrients a constipated cat can benefit
from .. and you, too with the fruit of your limited labor. The basic point
here is that your cat needs variations in the fiber and laxatives that are
consumed each day. If you eat prunes everyday, suddenly they have no effect
as they did when you first began eating them. Remember .. variety and
things will "go" smoothly.

Old November 15th 04, 11:58 AM
Phil P.

"Kaleo" wrote in message
om...
My cat has mild kidney failure and is now eating one of those low
protein special diets. She used to eat hairball formula cat food that
helped a lot with her hairballs. Now that she's not eating that I
started giving her one of the petroleum hairball rememdys. However
that doesn't seem to be doing her any good. Has anyone else had this
problem or have any advice of what to do for her? I've found some
fiber supplements for cats online, but can I give those to her? One
website said that the fiber absorbs more water so that the hair can
pass easier, but having kidney failure, doesn't she need all the water
she can get?

Your cat's protein intake shouldn't be restricted unless/until her BUN
exceeds 60-80 mg/dl. Actually, renal cats should eat as much high-quality
protein as possible without driving the BUN over 60-80 mg/dl. Premature
protein restriction in cats can have very deleterious effects (e.g., reduced
immunological response and reduced resistance to infection, reduced
hemoglobin production and anemia, muscle wasting).

The concept of restricting protein to slow the progression of CRF was based
on older studies in lab rats. Its now known that the mechanisms that can
alter progression of CRF in the rat don't have the same effect in the cat
(or the dog). Cats have a relatively high protein requirement, therefore,
protein restriction should be instituted only when the BUN exceeds 60-80
mg/dl - to control uremia.

Increasing fiber is a double-edged sword. Although fiber may help reduce
the BUN and relieve constipation, it also reduces the nutrient and energy
density of the diet because it displaces protein, fat and carbs. Thus the
cat needs to eat more food to meet her nutrient and energy requirements.
This in turn increases the renal solute load which increases the amount
of water the cat needs to consume to eliminate the solutes.

Fiber can also contribute to and actually cause constipation. Cats on high
fiber diets must be *well* hydrated to avoid impaction of the fiber in the
colon. However, renal cats are prone to dehydration because of their
kidneys' impaired ability to concentrate urine.

If hairballs are a problem, I suggest brushing your cat everyday with a
plastic-nub, palm shampoo brush (the type with a ring through which you
slide your finger. After you brush your cat, wipe her down with a damp face
cloth (then dry her off) - you'll be amazed by the amount of loose hair the
damp cloth picks up!

As far as diet for an early-to-mid stage renal cat, I highly recommend a
*low acidic* diet such as Hill's Prescription Feline x/d with Chicken
(canned). This diet contains moderate protein (43% DMB) and relatively low
phosphorus (0.53% DMB). I've had excellent results with this diet in our
renal cats. Some of our renal cats have made *dramatic* comebacks on this
diet.

Best of luck,

Phil