Pedigree vs Domestic

Old September 20th 03, 03:35 PM
Jeanne Hedge

Default Pedigree vs Domestic

Lois's message about judging the pedigree or the domestic section of a
cat show got me wondering. I've never really thought about it before,
but when one uses the word "domestic" in reference to a cat (as in
"domestic short hair"), does domestic = mutt (as used in reference to
a d*g)?

Personally, I prefer the term "Heinz 57" in response to "what kind of
cat (or d*g) is that?" Heinz 57, as in 57 varieties.

For those who have *no* idea what I'm babbling about, Heinz is a food
product company (ketchup, steak sauce, bagel bites, Boston Market,
Ore-Ida, Jack Daniels Grilling Sauce, Weight Watchers foods, etc). The
label on some of their products says "Heinz 57 Varieties".

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

http://www.jhedge.com

CompuServe Anime/Manga Forum via Your Browser
- IT'S FREE! -
*** http://go.compuserve.com/anime ***
Old September 20th 03, 05:16 PM
jmcquown

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
Lois's message about judging the pedigree or the domestic section of a
cat show got me wondering. I've never really thought about it before,
but when one uses the word "domestic" in reference to a cat (as in
"domestic short hair"), does domestic = mutt (as used in reference to
a d*g)?

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

I wondered about that as well. Persia is what the vet called a Domestic
Shorthair which basically means she's a mutt. I had no idea one could
"show" a mutt. But she wouldn't sit still for judges at any rate. She's
affectionate and friendly with me and my fiance, Ray, but she runs and hides
if anyone else comes over!

Jill

Old September 20th 03, 08:23 PM
Hopitus2

When the cat shows roll through our area, any cats other than pedigree
breeds are deemed, "Household Pets" and there are always just as many of
these shown in their very own "rings" as the blue-blooded pedigreeds.....we
used to show our cats once in awhile in HP category; they award trophies,
rosettes, and ribbons just like the elegant breeds get!
Oliver always "cleaned up" because he was usually the only one of his color
(red solid) in his category (Oriental Shorthair), but Oliver was our one and
only ever pedigreed cat. DurDur, Hopitus1, Mister Fuzz (who was really a
Chinchilla Persian but since we took him in as a stray, had no pedigreed
"papers" to prove it), and even old Tugboat all won prizes in HP over the
years. HP (alley) cats are a lot more relaxed at shows and judging, believe
me......Oliver and Mister Fuzz were noticeably more nervous and jumpy when
being handled by the judges.

"m. L. Briggs" wrote in message
: On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:16:40 -0500, "jmcquown"
: wrote:
:
: Jeanne Hedge wrote:
[...]
: We used to call them Alley Cats! There is even a song about them.

Old September 21st 03, 12:12 AM
MaryL

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message
Lois's message about judging the pedigree or the domestic section of a
cat show got me wondering. I've never really thought about it before,
but when one uses the word "domestic" in reference to a cat (as in
"domestic short hair"), does domestic = mutt (as used in reference to
a d*g)?

Personally, I prefer the term "Heinz 57" in response to "what kind of
cat (or d*g) is that?" Heinz 57, as in 57 varieties.

For those who have *no* idea what I'm babbling about, Heinz is a food
product company (ketchup, steak sauce, bagel bites, Boston Market,
Ore-Ida, Jack Daniels Grilling Sauce, Weight Watchers foods, etc). The
label on some of their products says "Heinz 57 Varieties".

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

I think they do mean basically the same thing ... but I must admit that
"domestic" for a cat sounds much nicer to me than "mutt" for a dog. I
always list my cats as DSH or DLH and don't mind it a bit, but when I had a
dog I always used "mixed breed." There's probably no rationality to what I
just said, but that has always been my instinctual reaction.

Old September 21st 03, 02:29 AM
Sherry

We called them Alley Cats too, but I like our English friends' term "Moggies".
At the cat shows I've been to, the moggies' division was called "Household".

Sherry
Old September 21st 03, 07:06 AM
MaryL

"Sherry " wrote in message
We called them Alley Cats too, but I like our English friends' term

"Moggies".
At the cat shows I've been to, the moggies' division was called

"Household".

Sherry

Yes, I also like "Moggies." It seems affectionate ... a term of endearment,
not a putdown.

MaryL

Old September 21st 03, 12:04 PM
Adrian

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
Lois's message about judging the pedigree or the domestic section of a
cat show got me wondering. I've never really thought about it before,
but when one uses the word "domestic" in reference to a cat (as in
"domestic short hair"), does domestic = mutt (as used in reference to
a d*g)?

Personally, I prefer the term "Heinz 57" in response to "what kind of
cat (or d*g) is that?" Heinz 57, as in 57 varieties.

For those who have *no* idea what I'm babbling about, Heinz is a food
product company (ketchup, steak sauce, bagel bites, Boston Market,
Ore-Ida, Jack Daniels Grilling Sauce, Weight Watchers foods, etc). The
label on some of their products says "Heinz 57 Varieties".

I always think of a non pedigree cat as a moggy. (OT) How long ago was it
when Heinz only had 57 varieties.:-)
--
Adrian
A House Is Not A Home, Without A Cat.