Vulture kitty at mealtimes!

Old December 11th 03, 04:48 AM
Singer709

Default Vulture kitty at mealtimes!

My big orange fuzzball "RJ" is fairly large, at 19 pounds. And he eats
like some vulture! He gobbles his food and really gets into it -- he
takes huge bites and tosses his head from side to side to "tear apart"
his already nice canned or dry food, spewing it halfway across the
kitchen floor. He has a huge appetite, too. And he's in perfect
health, clean bill of health from the vet, and doesn't gain weight. He
simply loves to eat. When it's breakfast or dinner time, he meows at
me as I prepare his meal, bumping into my legs and urging me to hurry
up. When I put his plate on the mat, he dives right in!

Many cats are finicky eaters, but some are "vulture kitties" like my
RJ. He really enjoys mealtime!

What types of eaters are your cats? And do you have any funny stories
about mealitme?
Old December 11th 03, 05:10 AM
Marina

"Singer709" wrote

What types of eaters are your cats? And do you have any funny stories
about mealitme?

Frank is a boring eater, because he just digs in and doesn't let anything
distract him. ;o)

But Nikki is another matter. She has several little tricks to make dinner
time more interesting. One of her games is hunting the food. For this, she
will stretch out a little paw, snag a piece of food on a claw, then shake
the paw furiously so that the piece of food is slung across the room. Then
she dashes after it, kills it and eats it.

If she is very hungry, this game turns into eating with her fingers - she
snags the food, but instead of shaking it off, she puts it directly in her
mouth. She will often sit and eat with her fingers... err claws.

Yet another game is played when I give the cats fresh herring. Nikki will
take a herring, drag it to the water bowl and dunk it in. She leaves it
there for a while, giving it a poke now and then, then she fishes it out,
drags it somewhere else (preferably the middle of a rug) and eats its head
and tail. She invariably leaves the middle part, the soft squishy part, for
me to step on.

I've taken to feeding the cats inside a big wooden crate to minimize the
damage caused by Nikki's eating habits, but I still found a bit of cat food
stuck to the wall, some 1.5 metres up, the other day. sigh

--
Marina

Old December 11th 03, 05:14 AM
Gizela

Gizmo whinges painfully when I am getting dressed for work, before I have a
chance to feed her. And when I do, she sits right where the food is to go,
whinges till the bowl is put down then takes 2-3 bites and leaves it. OR
even worse, when you feed her (after the wingeing) and she wont eat it at
all!!

When am I going to learn? I am there to serve her....how dare I make her
wait 10 minutes! How dare I expect her to be excited about what I fed her!!

purrs

Angela

om...

Old December 11th 03, 12:22 PM
badwilson

"Singer709" wrote in message
om...
My big orange fuzzball "RJ" is fairly large, at 19 pounds. And he eats
like some vulture! He gobbles his food and really gets into it -- he
takes huge bites and tosses his head from side to side to "tear apart"
his already nice canned or dry food, spewing it halfway across the
kitchen floor. He has a huge appetite, too. And he's in perfect
health, clean bill of health from the vet, and doesn't gain weight. He
simply loves to eat. When it's breakfast or dinner time, he meows at
me as I prepare his meal, bumping into my legs and urging me to hurry
up. When I put his plate on the mat, he dives right in!

Many cats are finicky eaters, but some are "vulture kitties" like my
RJ. He really enjoys mealtime!

What types of eaters are your cats? And do you have any funny stories
about mealitme?

Vino is the same way. He eats all food enthusiastically. He's healthy and
except for his *beautiful* udder, he's not really fat. He does the same
meowing, leg bumping, foot weaving thing every morning and evening when it's
time for his canned food.
I'm just glad that he's finally learned to keep his head over the bowl when
eating the dry food, a few years ago, he used to move his head away and
leave a pile of crumbs lying around.
--
Britta
ROT13 to reply

Old December 11th 03, 04:11 PM
Margaret Fine

Singer709 wrote:
My big orange fuzzball "RJ" is fairly large, at 19 pounds. And he eats
like some vulture! He gobbles his food and really gets into it -- he
takes huge bites and tosses his head from side to side to "tear apart"
his already nice canned or dry food, spewing it halfway across the
kitchen floor. He has a huge appetite, too. And he's in perfect
health, clean bill of health from the vet, and doesn't gain weight. He
simply loves to eat. When it's breakfast or dinner time, he meows at
me as I prepare his meal, bumping into my legs and urging me to hurry
up. When I put his plate on the mat, he dives right in!

Many cats are finicky eaters, but some are "vulture kitties" like my
RJ. He really enjoys mealtime!

What types of eaters are your cats? And do you have any funny stories
about mealitme?

LOL! Oliver "self feeds" We always have dry food down. His quirky
thing is if he doesn't think there is a "reasonable" amount of food by
his standards he gets upset and cries. Even if there is enough food for
another meal!

Two weird things about Oliver and his food. He will not eat wet food.
We've tried and he just sniffs it, looks disgusted, and walks away. One
time at his cat boarding facility they thought he had a tummy upset so
they stopped feeding him dry and put down baby food. Apparently he was
NOT amused and they ended up giving him back his dry. He LOVES his dry
food, tho, and snarfs that down. The other thing is he is particular
about where his bowl is located. When we first got him we bought one of
those kitty condo crates to put his litter box and his food in. Mostly
to keep it from the dog. When we bought a bigger litter box I decided
his food was now too close to his box so I moved his food. He cried
and carried on for quite a while, even tho I showed him where his food
was now located. He wouldn't eat. After a day of him being upset and
not eating, the food went back to the original spot!

Margaret
--
Margaret Fine

Old December 11th 03, 05:14 PM
Singer709

"Marina" wrote in message ...
"Singer709" wrote

[...]

Your cat Nikki is hilarious! What a treat (except for the cleanup, of
course) -- thanks for the story.
Old December 11th 03, 10:05 PM
Tanada

Singer709 wrote:

What types of eaters are your cats? And do you have any funny stories
about mealitme?

I've got cats who gulp, slurp, sling, dig, chow down, and daintily eat
their food as well as Berfert who's in charge of procurement. Although,
so far as I know, Berfert has never gone a day without food, he panics
if he sees the bottom of the food dish. We free feed dry food with
occasional treats of canned food, so dry food is the mainstay of all
their diets.

Berfert has been known to soulfully yowl in my face to wake me up, so
that I can stumble down the hall, drag a stool over to the fridge on top
of which we store their dry food, and fall off the stool while trying to
dip a scoop into the food bin. Mike usually ends up hearing me hit the
floor and comes to my rescue. Berfert always looks smug, as he also
insists that I watch him for a few minutes after he gets enough food in
his bowl to eat. I don't do mornings well.

Pam S.
Old December 11th 03, 10:37 PM
polonca12000

So she marinates the herring? LOL.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

snip Yet another game is played when I give the cats fresh herring. Nikki

Old December 12th 03, 04:34 AM
John Biltz

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:05:37 -0800, Tanada wrote
(in message ):

I've got cats who gulp, slurp, sling, dig, chow down, and daintily eat
their food as well as Berfert who's in charge of procurement. Although,
so far as I know, Berfert has never gone a day without food, he panics
if he sees the bottom of the food dish. We free feed dry food with
occasional treats of canned food, so dry food is the mainstay of all
their diets.

The same thing here. Maya was half starved when she moved in. She can
be a fussy eater and has the best table manners imaginable. Bruiser came
from a good home as a kitten and as near as I can tell has never known a
missed meal. To watch him eat you would think he had not eaten in a week
at every meal. My sister and nephew were up for Thanksgiving and they
were amazed and apalled when they saw him eat. I think the expression
was "Oh my God".

Please purr for Little Black Kitty RB lewe Cat anecdotes 16 December 8th 03 10:56 PM
hairless kitty mokering Cat anecdotes 8 December 1st 03 04:46 PM
TX kitty fur Stacey Cat anecdotes 4 November 25th 03 07:49 AM
The Stray Kitty. (VERY LONG) Flippy Cat anecdotes 24 November 9th 03 09:48 PM
yet another foster kitty! [email protected] Cat anecdotes 10 August 12th 03 09:41 PM