OT - damn, no more newsgroups

Old September 17th 08, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

Default OT - damn, no more newsgroups

Comcast just pulled it's news.comcast.net newsgroup
provider without telling us. All of a sudden I couldn't
get any newsgroup messages and when I tried to
re-download my newsgroups I got the message that
news.comcast.net no longer existed.

Of course I couldn't not be without my rec.pets.cats.
anecdotes and the other newsgroups I read. Thank
goodness giganews.com offers several levels of
subscriptions and I just got the cheapest one. It
looks good and at $8US a month it's not bad. We
are getting less and less good stuff without having
to pay for it these days.

--
Irulan
from the stars we come
Old September 17th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_4_]

"Irulan" wrote in message
Comcast just pulled it's news.comcast.net newsgroup
provider without telling us. All of a sudden I couldn't
get any newsgroup messages and when I tried to
re-download my newsgroups I got the message that
news.comcast.net no longer existed.

Of course I couldn't not be without my rec.pets.cats.
anecdotes and the other newsgroups I read. Thank
goodness giganews.com offers several levels of
subscriptions and I just got the cheapest one. It
looks good and at $8US a month it's not bad. We
are getting less and less good stuff without having
to pay for it these days.

Seriously? I haven't heard that. I'm accessing through Comcast via
Giganews for free. My news server is newsgroups.comcast.net and it's
working so make sure of what news server you're accessing. Is this what I
have to look forward to? I notice I have to authenticate many times lately
just to get the groups, but that isn't anything new.

Old September 17th 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Irulan wrote:
goodness giganews.com offers several levels of
subscriptions and I just got the cheapest one. It
looks good and at $8US a month it's not bad. We

news.individual.net is 10 euros per year.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old September 17th 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

Cheryl, go to Comcast.net and access your
account and then go to creating a newsgroup.
When I did that I got the message that Comcast
is getting rid of their newsgroups.comcast.net
server as of Oct 25. I think you can still access
the service until then. I had to reset my newsgroup
and when I went to get the newsgroup list is when
I got the message that newsgroups.comcast.net
no longer exists. Good luck.

Old September 17th 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_4_]

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Irulan wrote:
goodness giganews.com offers several levels of
subscriptions and I just got the cheapest one. It
looks good and at $8US a month it's not bad. We

news.individual.net is 10 euros per year.

I cancelled that because they won't take Discover card. That's my online
card because I get lots of alerts and stuff.

Old September 17th 08, 04:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_4_]

"Irulan" wrote in message
Cheryl, go to Comcast.net and access your
account and then go to creating a newsgroup.
When I did that I got the message that Comcast
is getting rid of their newsgroups.comcast.net
server as of Oct 25. I think you can still access
the service until then. I had to reset my newsgroup
and when I went to get the newsgroup list is when
I got the message that newsgroups.comcast.net
no longer exists. Good luck.

Well, hell, you're right. I found this message on the forum and they have a
point. I guess it really is time this time to change my ISP. Everyone says
"you pay WHAT for internet access??"

"If I contract directly with Giganews for the service that Comcast is taking
away, it's $7.99/month.

"The Internet portion of my monthly Comcast bill is $42.95.

"If "ComcastCares" is true, then they will lower my monthly bill by 18% to
compensate for the 18% reduction in service, right?"

Old September 17th 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

"Irulan" wrote

| Comcast just pulled it's news.comcast.net newsgroup
| provider without telling us. All of a sudden I couldn't
| get any newsgroup messages and when I tried to
| re-download my newsgroups I got the message that
| news.comcast.net no longer existed.
|
| Of course I couldn't not be without my rec.pets.cats.
| anecdotes and the other newsgroups I read. Thank
| goodness giganews.com offers several levels of
| subscriptions and I just got the cheapest one. It
| looks good and at $8US a month it's not bad. We
| are getting less and less good stuff without having
| to pay for it these days.

Comcast sucks! http://www.freepress.net/node/44300

'Net neutrality facing Comcast lawsuit
If this makes you nervous, it should.

Comcast has gone to court in an attempt to win a ruling that the FCC has no
legal right to enforce its notions of net neutrality.

In a filing with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit in
Washington, Comcast said that the FCC had no legal authority for its ruling
last month, on a closely split 3- 2 vote, that Comcast had violated rules
requiring Internet service providers not to discriminate between their
carriage of different applications.

SaveTheInternet.com: Late last week, Comcast filed a lawsuit to overturn the
landmark Federal Communications Commission order to stop blocking users'
access to the free and open Internet.

With its army of lawyers and billions of dollars, Comcast is betting it can
dismantle the protections that you and hundreds of thousands of other Free
Press and SavetheInternet.com supporters fought so hard to establish. Free
Press Action Fund is rallying our small legal team to fight Comcast, but we
urgently need your help.

Old September 17th 08, 07:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Albert Gerber

Irulan wrote:
goodness giganews.com offers several levels of subscriptions and I
just got the cheapest one. It looks good and at $8US a month it's not
bad. We

news.individual.net is 10 euros per year.

I cancelled that because they won't take Discover card. That's my
online card because I get lots of alerts and stuff.

Hi Cheryl and whoever else.

Three different free news servers:
NNTP.aioe.org No sign up needed.

news2.motzarella.org Look for their web page as this one needs
a valid name, doesn't need to be yours, and they send you a password.

news.datemas.de This one wants a valid e-mail address and
an eight letter/number password.

You can get the web address with Google.

Li'l Al
Old September 17th 08, 08:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Irulan wrote:
goodness giganews.com offers several levels of subscriptions and I
just got the cheapest one. It looks good and at $8US a month it's not
bad. We

news.individual.net is 10 euros per year.

I cancelled that because they won't take Discover card. That's my
online card because I get lots of alerts and stuff.

Hi Cheryl and whoever else.

Three different free news servers:
NNTP.aioe.org No sign up needed.

news2.motzarella.org Look for their web page as this one needs
a valid name, doesn't need to be yours, and they send you a password.

news.datemas.de This one wants a valid e-mail address and
an eight letter/number password.

You can get the web address with Google.

Li'l Al

Hi Al! I don't think I've seen you in this group before.

Joy

Old September 17th 08, 10:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Victor Martinez wrote:
Irulan wrote:
goodness giganews.com offers several levels of
subscriptions and I just got the cheapest one. It
looks good and at $8US a month it's not bad. We

news.individual.net is 10 euros per year.

There are pros and cons with Individual.

Pro: Prompt and helpful service via e-mail
Pro: Virtually no spam on the newsgroups (they clean it up for you)
Pro: Incredible value (in terms of quality per $1) at 10 Euro a year
Pro: Alot of people use it, and therefore can help with technical issues
Pro: Is not the ISP you connect to the internet with, therefore can use
your account from any computer you can set up with your details (I can
post from 5 different PCs.
Pro: Not Google Groups - needs a real news reader to work. (Well, I
think its a pro)

Con: Need to have a way of paying in Euros (they don't use PayPal)
Con: No binary groups
Con: In Germany, so expensive to contact if you need to talk to a human
being. They do, however, speak perfectly good English when I rang them
(and laughed when I tried to speak German)

Featu Limit to number of posts per day (but not an unreasonable
number, I think its 200 or so - who makes that many posts?????)
Featu Have to have a valid e-mail address to post (but I've been
using a munged one for years and no-one has complained)

Yowie

newsgroups rich Cat health & behaviour 4 June 18th 08 08:05 PM
1: Cat Newsgroups David Stevenson Cat anecdotes 42 February 15th 07 07:58 AM
Newsgroups Bev Cat anecdotes 4 August 3rd 06 09:27 AM
Newsgroups GraceCat Cat anecdotes 5 November 28th 03 10:31 PM