OT - damn, no more newsgroups

Old September 17th 08, 12:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default OT - damn, no more newsgroups

Irulan wrote:
Comcast just pulled it's news.comcast.net newsgroup
provider without telling us. All of a sudden I couldn't
get any newsgroup messages and when I tried to
re-download my newsgroups I got the message that
news.comcast.net no longer existed.

Of course I couldn't not be without my rec.pets.cats.
anecdotes and the other newsgroups I read. Thank
goodness giganews.com offers several levels of
subscriptions and I just got the cheapest one. It
looks good and at $8US a month it's not bad. We
are getting less and less good stuff without having
to pay for it these days.

From the Comcast Site: "Will I continue to be able to access newsgroups once
Comcast discontinues Comcast Newsgroups?
Answer: Yes. While we are discontinuing the feature known as Comcast
Newsgroups, powered by Giganews, you can continue to access third party
newsgroups by subscribing directly with a newsgroups provider."

Since, like Cheryl, I already pay a ridiculous $42.95USD per month just to
get online with Comcast. I'll be checking to see if I can get AT&T DSL here
(like I use back home) instead; it's their "lite" (heh) version and only
$19.95/month. I'll have to subscribe to NIN (news.individual.net) again.
No way am I paying Comcast all that friggin' money when newsgroups are 85%
of what I use their Internet service for.

Jill

Old September 17th 08, 01:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobblespin

"Irulan" wrote in
:

Comcast just pulled it's news.comcast.net newsgroup
provider without telling us. All of a sudden I couldn't
get any newsgroup messages and when I tried to
re-download my newsgroups I got the message that
news.comcast.net no longer existed.

Of course I couldn't not be without my rec.pets.cats.
anecdotes and the other newsgroups I read. Thank
goodness giganews.com offers several levels of
subscriptions and I just got the cheapest one. It
looks good and at $8US a month it's not bad. We
are getting less and less good stuff without having
to pay for it these days.

I use a free newsreader Xnews and free server nntp.aioe.org to read and
post. About twice a year aioe will be down for about 3-4 days, but it
always comes back up. When it does, I can still read (but not post)
through freenews.netfront.net

Bobble
Old September 17th 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

"Irulan"
Comcast just pulled it's news.comcast.net newsgroup
provider without telling us. All of a sudden I couldn't
get any newsgroup messages and when I tried to
re-download my newsgroups I got the message that
news.comcast.net no longer existed.

They changed the name to newsgroups.comcast.net
That's the name of their news server now.
Hope that helps
Kyla
..

Old September 17th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Cheryl" wrote in message

Well, hell, you're right. I found this message on the forum and they have
a point. I guess it really is time this time to change my ISP. Everyone
says "you pay WHAT for internet access??"

"If I contract directly with Giganews for the service that Comcast is
taking away, it's $7.99/month.

"The Internet portion of my monthly Comcast bill is $42.95.

"If "ComcastCares" is true, then they will lower my monthly bill by 18% to
compensate for the 18% reduction in service, right?"

Don't hold your breath.

Pam S.

Old September 17th 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

tanadashoes wrote:
"Cheryl" wrote in message

Well, hell, you're right. I found this message on the forum and
they have a point. I guess it really is time this time to change my
ISP. Everyone says "you pay WHAT for internet access??"

"If I contract directly with Giganews for the service that Comcast is
taking away, it's $7.99/month.

"The Internet portion of my monthly Comcast bill is $42.95.

"If "ComcastCares" is true, then they will lower my monthly bill by
18% to compensate for the 18% reduction in service, right?"

Don't hold your breath.

Pam S.

Which means, hunt for a new ISP. BUT, I've been doing that. AT&T doesn't
offer DSL service on the island, so sorry. AT&T WiFi, nope, they can't say
it will work here even with my router. The local phone company will cost
more than Comcast and they have no clue what a newsgroup is. He sounded
like he was 12. At least he wasn't in INDIA.

Why didn't I stay home???

Jill

Old September 17th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Cheryl" wrote in message

"Irulan" wrote in message
Cheryl, go to Comcast.net and access your
account and then go to creating a newsgroup.
When I did that I got the message that Comcast
is getting rid of their newsgroups.comcast.net
server as of Oct 25. I think you can still access
the service until then. I had to reset my newsgroup
and when I went to get the newsgroup list is when
I got the message that newsgroups.comcast.net
no longer exists. Good luck.

Well, hell, you're right. I found this message on the forum and
they have a point. I guess it really is time this time to change my
ISP. Everyone says "you pay WHAT for internet access??"

"If I contract directly with Giganews for the service that Comcast
is taking away, it's $7.99/month.

"The Internet portion of my monthly Comcast bill is $42.95.

"If "ComcastCares" is true, then they will lower my monthly bill by
18% to compensate for the 18% reduction in service, right?"

The DSL part of my AT&T phone bill is $25. And I know there are less
expensive options out there.

Jo

Old September 17th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Jofirey wrote:
"Cheryl" wrote in message

"Irulan" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, good luck getting AT&T DSL on this island. I checked.

Jill
Old September 18th 08, 06:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Jofirey wrote:
"Cheryl" wrote in message

"Irulan" wrote in message
[...]

I'd guess there are no inexpensive options out there. Wonder what
Hughes Net costs a month? Anyone know?

I'd really like to dump my home phone connection entirely. But don't
want to go to cable either. I like my DirecTV. Its too damn
expensive, but Charlie worked awfully hard before he retired, and it
that's what keeps him happy, that he gets.

Jo

Old September 18th 08, 07:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

"Jofirey" wrote

| I'd guess there are no inexpensive options out there. Wonder what
| Hughes Net costs a month? Anyone know?

It's quite expensive and the bandwidth is metered, according to friends who
use it because it's the only broadband available where they live.

Old September 18th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

"Irulan"
Comcast just pulled it's news.comcast.net newsgroup
provider without telling us. All of a sudden I couldn't
get any newsgroup messages and when I tried to
re-download my newsgroups I got the message that
news.comcast.net no longer existed.

Of course I couldn't not be without my rec.pets.cats.
anecdotes and the other newsgroups I read. Thank
goodness giganews.com offers several levels of
subscriptions and I just got the cheapest one. It
looks good and at $8US a month it's not bad. We
are getting less and less good stuff without having
to pay for it these days.

They just changed the name to
newsgroups.comcast.net.
Try that
DH just told me that info.
HTH
Kyla

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

newsgroups rich Cat health & behaviour 4 June 18th 08 08:05 PM
1: Cat Newsgroups David Stevenson Cat anecdotes 42 February 15th 07 07:58 AM
Newsgroups Bev Cat anecdotes 4 August 3rd 06 09:27 AM
Newsgroups GraceCat Cat anecdotes 5 November 28th 03 10:31 PM