I got picked on by nerds and dweebs

Old December 2nd 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

Default I got picked on by nerds and dweebs

Actually, I got picked on by jocks.

I was a physically fit, chess-playing nerd with a smart mouth, who
couldn't resist clever comebacks to the alleged "insults" of my tormenters.
Fortunately, I had muscles and didn't know my own strength, so I shocked
and surprised a few jackasses in Junior High. High School wasn't a big
problem because I got selected to go to a nerd school (Skyline Center -
advanced math, electronics and other "clustered" vocational coursework),
where most of us were "nerds" in one discipline or another.

It was a fun school, until I realized I was learning way more in my own
time than school was teaching (I typically helped teachers grade tests, and
did extra credit projects for fun and broke any curve all to hell). So I
took the GED (second easiest test I ever took), aced it and quit as soon as
I had the scores.

Irritated the school counselor ("You can't take the GED while in school!")
and my dad ("You'll never get into college or get a good job!").

I took great joy mailing my dad a copy of my acceptance into Mensa in
1977...

I did just fine; scored a 1400 on the SAT (easiest test I ever took), got
into Engineering School, Business School and Computer Science Engineering
School (over several years, mind you) and managed to keep my GPA above 3.5.

Anyway, I had no real self-image, good or bad, and survived all the silly
people thrown at me, to be reasonably successful and happy. Plus cats!

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old December 2nd 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Mark Edwards" wrote in message
m...

[...]

As you know, I can relate! ; To destroy a stereotype, though, studies
have shown that people with high IQs do NOT tend to be small, wimpy people
with glasses. Just the opposite, in fact. The incidence of good genes
(winning the gene pool lottery as I call it) usually results in large,
healthy bodies as well as high IQs. Attendance at Mensa gatherings shows,
somewhat, both types... Lots of people with glasses, not from being born
with poor vision, but usually from reading all day and all night in whatever
light is available. Quite a few, um, "fluffy" people - again, not from
genetics, but usually from a more sedentary life sitting at a computer or
reading (how much more fun is reading than running around a muddy field
chasing a dumb ball). But on the whole, all very healthy people with very
few genetic conditions.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 2nd 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I had never really been a cat person, always had doge but, I must admit, my
cats are my salvation. They listen, sometimes comment, and know when I need
an extra purrrr. I can just hear Lee now saying I TOLD YOU SO. I will
have to tell her I wrote this just for S and G's.

Old December 2nd 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep ©

Mark Edwards wrote:
[...]

Kudos to you mark, for being the antithesis to the standard!

So, were you a nerdy jock? Or a jockey nerd???

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old December 3rd 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Hello to two fellow Mensans! Actually, I let my membership drop this year
because I wasn't attending any of the events and needed to cut back on
expenses. Still, I have fond memories of Gatherings, both local and
International.

Joy

Old December 3rd 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

No cluons were harmed when =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Magic_Mood_Jeep_=A9?= wrote:
So, were you a nerdy jock? Or a jockey nerd???

Just a nerd with muscles. I ended up beating up the school bully's best
friend in the lunch room one day (well, a one-punch fight) when he thought
he'd "torment the chess-playing dweeb.

Of course, the school bully tried to beat me up. He kept asking if I gave
up, and I only did when I realized I was late for a study date - which
irritated him, but he let me up...

Mark Edwards
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old December 3rd 08, 09:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

"Joy" wrote in message

Hello to two fellow Mensans!...

And another here! I'm a member of the UK "chapter". I also
receive the Special Interest Group newsletter for cat lovers :-)

--
MatSav

Old December 3rd 08, 12:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Hello to two fellow Mensans!...
And another here! I'm a member of the UK "chapter". I also
receive the Special Interest Group newsletter for cat lovers :-)

I was in it once. It was entertaining enough in its way but
like being in a zoo for neuroses.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old December 3rd 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com wrote
in message ...
"Joy" wrote in message

Hello to two fellow Mensans!...

And another here! I'm a member of the UK "chapter". I also receive the
Special Interest Group newsletter for cat lovers :-)

I didn't know they had a cat SIG! Is it only for the UK?

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
MatSav

Old December 3rd 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

"Joy" wrote in message

Hello to two fellow Mensans!...

And another here! I'm a member of the UK "chapter". I also
receive the Special Interest Group newsletter for cat lovers
:-)

I didn't know they had a cat SIG! Is it only for the UK?

I think so - but you could try asking your natinal HQ if they
could get you a copy or two - or even a subscription.

--
MatSav