My cat had an accident - I'm sick with worry!

Old June 3rd 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default My cat had an accident - I'm sick with worry!

"bookie" wrote in message
ups.com...

sooooooooooooo sorry you americans take yourselves so bloody
seriously, were you not aware that pretty much the rest of the world
think you as a nation are a bunch of inbred, ignorant warmongerers?
were you not aware of how much the rest of the world laughs at you all
and think you're all morons? ignorance is bliss isn't it? at least we
brits can laugh at ourselves when required, we can take a bit of a dig
at the way we live and admit that some aspects of our society as far
from perfect, can't say teh same about you yanks.

anyway, no law against hating americans and considering them to be not
even worthy enough for me to wipe my feet on? what do you expect when
you reply to people in the tones you have been above

dear oh dear oh dear

Wow! You certainly are good at overgeneralizations. You're right, there's
no law against hating Americans and considerting them to be not even worthy
enough for you to wipe your feet on. On the other hand, there's also no law
that would prohibit you (and some others on the newsgroup) from using a
little courtesy.

MaryL

Old June 3rd 07, 12:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
reeper

On Jun 2, 11:37 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
Wow! You certainly are good at overgeneralizations. You're right, there's
no law against hating Americans and considerting them to be not even worthy
enough for you to wipe your feet on. On the other hand, there's also no law
that would prohibit you (and some others on the newsgroup) from using a
little courtesy.

courtesy and common sense

it takes an ignorant so an so to mistreat a stranger

IOW's you ain't lost nothin MaryL

ok, so we lost the adoration of one constipated pale writer

Old June 3rd 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lis

On Jun 1, 7:23 pm, bookie wrote:
On 2 Jun, 00:05, wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 05:13:44 GMT, "Lilah Morgan"

wrote:
I thought the lady who sued McDonald's for getting her fat was
bad, but my mom heard about this one gal who was driving down the road in
her RV, and she had to go to the bathroom, so she puts the RV in cruise
control, LEAVES THE WHEEL, and gets up to go to the bathroom. Of course the
RV crashes. She's not seriously hurt, but she sues the RV manufacturer
because they didn't say in the manual you can't leave the wheel unattended
when it's in cruise control. If that's not bad enough, she WON the lawsuit.

Snopes!

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp

There are many version of that story to be found.

i heard the one about the woman who bought a coffee from a McDonalds
drive-thru, wedged it in between her legs to hold it as she drove off,
and when she inevitably spilt it over her ample thighs she sued
McDonalds for persoanl injury or something because of the massive
scalding and burns to her legs and general 'lady area' she suffered as
a result of her own stupidity.

I think the lawyers claimed that she had no idea that the coffee was
going to be so hot or something incredibly stupid like that. If
someone tried that in this country it woudl be laughed out of court,
if it even got that fair in the first place, any judge woudl just tell
the silly old mare that she should not have been so damn stupid and
what she did was her own damn fault.

That's the popular version of the story, promoted by the "tort reform"
crowd who want to make it prohibitively hard for individuals to sue
corporations, ever. The reality was rather different.
A) She wasn't the driver; she was a passenger.
B)The car was parked, not moving. PARKED, in the designated area of
the McDonald's lot for drive-up customers.
C) McDonald's served its coffee 40F hotter than any other major chain.
People expect coffee to be hot; they don't expect it to be 40F hotter
than anyone else serves it. McD's had been warned repeatedly that it
was a problem--including previous lawsuits settled for lower amounts.
D) The coffee spilled because the cup lid was defective. McDonald's
was ALSO on notice that the lids were defective, and had chosen not to
replace them before that supply ran out--to save money, you see.

McDonald's lost that case in court because the jury was prevented with
overwhelming evidence that the stupidity and carelessness in the case
was McDonald's, not the woman's. They did, however, win in the arena
of public opinion, where trivial things like facts don't matter.'

is it correct that you have the right to have any case heard in a
court of law inthe US? regardless of how outlandish it actually is?
something in your constitution or something, not sure about the
veracity of that statement.- Hide quoted text -

Anyone can sue anyone about anything. That doesn't mean it won't get
thrown out as frivolous, or malicious, and lawyers who cooperate in
friviolous or malicious lawsuits can be disbarred, which is a pretty
strong disincentive to bringing cases you can't win anyway.

Lis

Old June 3rd 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On Jun 3, 3:02 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message

hlink.net... "sheelagh" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bookie isn't the only one who thinks this way. I find it rather hard
to understand as well, but then again, I live in the UK too..

I know the UK is more considerate when it comes to animals than the US is.
friend of mine in Liverpool adopted a kitten last year, and here in the
States, at animal shelters you basically just pay like $50 and you get to
take the animal home.

snip

This is absolutely *not true.* There are some shelters that do that, but
there are many more that have policies designed to protect the welfare of
pets that are adopted. Please check for my message in this thread where I
described the process when I adopted Duffy -- definitely *not* what you
described! I adopted Duffy from a shelter about 30-35 miles from my home.
Our local shelter is often criticized (almost to the point of abuse) because
they will *not* do as you claimed. Many people are almost enraged because
they have fairly stringent adoption policies and some people seem to think
that "any home is better than euthanasia" (where clearly that is often not
the case).

So, it's true that some shelters are not worthy of the name "shelter," but
you simply cannot lump all US facilities together into one bundle (and I
would expect that's true of most countries).

MaryL

Bookie isn't the only one who thinks this way. I find it rather hard
to understand as well, but then again, I live in the UK too..

Mary, when i made this post, I had just read a post called "Lots of
pets in need of homes, the shelters are full". Next to this was a link
provided. I quickly skimmed through it & "assumed" it was a shelter
advertising pets that needed re homing.

http://www.tradeurban.com/?action=search&cat=6

Lis has since explained that it is simply an advertising link for
kitten mill & dog millers too. Had I realised this then, I would never
have have posted anything regarding this issue. Since then, lis has
responded to me, explaining that it wasn't a genuine shelter post...

It was never my intention to enrage, upset or otherwise annoy people
who genuinely work very hard to ensure that they cats get the very
best that volunteers & key workers do, day in & out. I fully
appreciate how hard they work & I commend & thank them for it too. if
anyone was offended by anything I wrote in that post, then I
apologise. I wasn't talking about shelters in that post. It was more
to do with the welfare of pets that people/owners couldn't afford to
take to the vets. Again, since then, I have done a bit of homework of
my own.

Take -L's post a few days ago?

On 2 Jun, 04:23, sheelagh wrote:
On Jun 2, 3:55 am, "-L." wrote:

An acquaintance has a number of intact stray cats and no funds - does
anyone know of a TTVNR or low-cost S/N clinic in mid-Michigan?

Please reply here and/or send an email. Address is good.

Thanks!

-L.

I wonder if this might be some help to you L?
I hope it is what you were looking for?

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html#mi
S;o)

Going by your own experiences, crossed with what I have found
personally, alone, It is quite clear to me that if you really want
your cat seen by a vet, then it is possible, if only you will seek far
enough. It is clear that it is more a question of whether people we
see post here, can be bothers to look for it, not the other way around
@ all!!

I am sorry if you were offended, genuinely so too!
S.

Old June 3rd 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lilah Morgan

I wasn't questioning a statement that *some* shelters may follow that
policy, and I wasn't concentrating on citizenship (although I assumed that
you are a US citizen or at least live here). My concern is that you have
taken your experience and seem to assum that *all* shelters operate that
way. My experience has been exactly the opposite -- but that does not

mean
that all shelters are well run, it only means that my experience has not
been the same as yours. Moreover, ten years would not make the

difference.
What makes the difference is that there are many thousands of shelters in
the US, and there are many variations among them.

MaryL

I would hope that not all shelters are run that way, but given that you said
your local shelter(I think it was your local one?) gets criticized seriously
for not just handing the pet over after the adoption fee is paid, I'd say
that people think that's how it done given their experiences. I'd actually
prefer it if your shelter was the rule, not the apparent exception. Pets are
people too. There's no reason they(shelters) couldn't take more time to make
sure the pets are going to a good stable home. Lack of funds is not an
excuse. Shelters who just take the fee and then give the pets over, they've
been in big cities(not just small rural towns) where they can get donations
to cover the cost of making sure they're doing the right thing. If we didn't
live an hour away from the shelter here, I'd probably be volunteering at the
shelter in my spare time, and doing what I can to make them more than just
basically a pet store. I've never adopted from them, but we did look into
the shelter when we moved here, and they actually want you to pay to drop an
animal off.

Old June 3rd 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

Lis wrote:
On May 31, 6:32 pm, bookie wrote:

On 31 May, 19:35, Lis wrote:

No, Bookie, you didn't say "some." You said:

"anyway think about the differences in attitudes between us; you have
your cats declawed and have pristine furniture, we have lots of
scratch marks all over our ancient tables and chairs and deal with it
(and have happy cats as a result), says somethign about the different
ways in which we look at our animasl for me"

You presented Americans as callous, furniture-obsessed monsters who
all declaw our cats, in contrast to those decent human beings, the
Brits, who would rather have their furniture wrecked. And you implied
that all our cats are unhappy, too.

A hateful attitude towards the US is not uncommon among Brits. My
theory on this is they're upset about the loss of their empire, of which
the US would have been the "crown jewel" had they been able to hang onto it.

You have wrecked furniture. I have intact furniture, AND happy cats,
because I've provided appropriate, attractive-to-them places for them
to climb and scratch and hide. Also toys for them to play with;
they're not bored out of their minds with nothing better for them to
do than wreck my furniture. I bet Sheelagh doesn't have wrecked
furniture, either.

Lis

Old June 3rd 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

ups.com...

On 2 Jun, 04:23, sheelagh wrote:
On Jun 2, 3:55 am, "-L." wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Sheelagh. No, you didn't offend me. I just wanted to make a
correction because there are actually a wide variety of levels of shelters
in the US (and probably in other countries as well). One problem that is
tragically similar for all shelters except for the no-kill shelters (which
are distinctly in the minority and often have to turn away cats and dogs
because they are filled) is that far too many animals have to be euthanized
because there are no homes for them. We have spay/neuter programs, but
there are still far too many people who fail to have that done and far too
many where animals are simply abandoned or neglected. So, it really is a
big problem. On the positive side, we have a great many people who
genuinely love their pets and will do their utmost to see that their cats or
dogs (or horses or...) are happy and well-cared-for.

MaryL

Old June 3rd 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

bookie wrote:
On 1 Jun, 15:54, Lis wrote:

On May 31, 6:32 pm, bookie wrote:

and you have just implied that all my furniture is wrecked

You're the one who said it was all scratched up and "ancient".
Old June 3rd 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On Jun 3, 3:40 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message

link.net...

[...]

For the record, I am American citizen. And I have lived in 3 different
states where that's how we adopted our pets. Granted it's been well over
10
years since we've adopted a pet from a shelter(all our dogs now have come
us because people we knew wouldn't fix their pets and had litters as a
result), so the rules indeed may have changed, but I am speaking from
legitimate experience.

I wasn't questioning a statement that *some* shelters may follow that
policy, and I wasn't concentrating on citizenship (although I assumed that
you are a US citizen or at least live here). My concern is that you have
taken your experience and seem to assum that *all* shelters operate that
way. My experience has been exactly the opposite -- but that does not mean
that all shelters are well run, it only means that my experience has not
been the same as yours. Moreover, ten years would not make the difference.
What makes the difference is that there are many thousands of shelters in
the US, and there are many variations among them.

MaryL- Hide quoted text -

I wasn't questioning a statement that *some* shelters may follow that
policy, and I wasn't concentrating on citizenship (although I assumed that
you are a US citizen or at least live here). My concern is that you have
taken your experience and seem to assum that *all* shelters operate that
way. My experience has been exactly the opposite -- but that does not mean
that all shelters are well run, it only means that my experience has not
been the same as yours. Moreover, ten years would not make the difference.
What makes the difference is that there are many thousands of shelters in
the US, and there are many variations among them.

It is the same in the UK as well. There are plenty well meaning people
who take it upon themselves to rescue cats for whatever thier reasons
are, then find it all a bit too much to cope with, & of course it is
the animals that suffer in the end...

you simply cannot lump all US facilities together into one bundle (and I
would expect that's true of most countries).

We do have badly run shelters. Generally they don't get very far,
because as I am sure you would all do, we report anything that we feel
might be amiss to the RSPCA & they check them out. I'm certain it must
be the same for you too? It's only the odd bad egg that gives the
others a bad name.....

And the RSPCA has the added burden of having to try & clean them all
up, feed them, socialise them, then find new homes!! A lot of work for
all concerned & sad when you see it happening. It's a global problem-
not simply in one country or another....

I think it is in human nature to categorize certain races with habits
and behaviour that we "see as wrong" when it comes to our pets..( I
must stress @ this point, that I don't think it is correct- merely
human nature, I think) the other day, I was watching a program on TV,
where the host of the show was offered fried Dog in China. Personally,
I think this is slightly different when it comes to not understanding
the other nations habits & what they consider as "normal".. I find
this very distasteful & also very hard to accept as normal.

I wonder if I had come from there, whether I would see it in the same
light as they seemed to? And, would I take offense if someone
questioned that practise?

This has nothing to do with this topic, I am merely questioning

Old June 3rd 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

bookie wrote:
On 2 Jun, 04:27, Lis wrote:

sooooooooooooo sorry you americans take yourselves so bloody
seriously, were you not aware that pretty much the rest of the world
think you as a nation are a bunch of inbred, ignorant warmongerers?

LOL - Say what you want. You're just jealous.
And besides Vietnam, I cannot think of any war in recent memory in which
the Brits weren't fighting alongside the US - unless you include the
Falklands War which was just another desperate attempt by the UK to hold
onto the remains of their once mighty and vast empire. In this case,
they were defending an island populated mainly by sheep.

were you not aware of how much the rest of the world laughs at you all
and think you're all morons?

We laugh at you and statements like yours prove you're morons.

ignorance is bliss isn't it? at least we
brits can laugh at ourselves when required, we can take a bit of a dig
at the way we live and admit that some aspects of our society as far
from perfect, can't say teh same about you yanks.

That's because you're ignorant - Is it as blissful as you say?

anyway, no law against hating americans and considering them to be not
even worthy enough for me to wipe my feet on? what do you expect when
you reply to people in the tones you have been above

Heh - you should take a good look in the mirror.

dear oh dear oh dear

sick with worry about my older cat ms. tonya Cat health & behaviour 3 March 4th 06 03:36 AM
Argh - litterbox accident again Karen AKA Kajikit Cat anecdotes 24 December 5th 05 03:51 PM
Our cat had a little accident. :( Advice please! John Krystek Cat health & behaviour 82 November 10th 05 07:27 AM
almost-bad accident Pat Cat anecdotes 9 July 25th 05 04:46 AM
GW [OT] Ghostly accident Yowie Cat anecdotes 3 September 22nd 04 02:23 AM