Question About Cat Memories?

Old July 2nd 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Curse Of Millhaven

Default Question About Cat Memories?

Okay a few months ago I was walking down this lonely stretch of road
late late at night. I came across this cat on the sidewalk who made no
attempt to run away. So I stopped and pet it for probably a good 5
minutes. I like cats and will pet them, even strange ones, if they let
me.

So last night I am walking the same stretch of road, not so late, not
so lonely. What I suspect is the same cat comes running out of a yard
toward me enthusiastically. I pet it. It meows every time I walk a way
and follows me a bit. Again I spend a good 5 minutes before moving
on.

So, my question is, did this cat remember me somehow from the last
time and expected more of the same or did it just get more aggressive
about hitting up random strangers walking down the street?

Old July 2nd 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Curse Of Millhaven" wrote in message
ups.com...
Okay a few months ago I was walking down this lonely stretch of road
late late at night. I came across this cat on the sidewalk who made no
attempt to run away. So I stopped and pet it for probably a good 5
minutes. I like cats and will pet them, even strange ones, if they let
me.

So last night I am walking the same stretch of road, not so late, not
so lonely. What I suspect is the same cat comes running out of a yard
toward me enthusiastically. I pet it. It meows every time I walk a way
and follows me a bit. Again I spend a good 5 minutes before moving
on.

So, my question is, did this cat remember me somehow from the last
time and expected more of the same or did it just get more aggressive
about hitting up random strangers walking down the street?

It is just a friendly cat.

Old July 2nd 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 22:49:22 -0400, cybercat wrote:

[...]

A friendly cat with a good memory

1

Old July 2nd 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lis

On Jul 1, 9:42 pm, Curse Of Millhaven wrote:
Okay a few months ago I was walking down this lonely stretch of road
late late at night. I came across this cat on the sidewalk who made no
attempt to run away. So I stopped and pet it for probably a good 5
minutes. I like cats and will pet them, even strange ones, if they let
me.

So last night I am walking the same stretch of road, not so late, not
so lonely. What I suspect is the same cat comes running out of a yard
toward me enthusiastically. I pet it. It meows every time I walk a way
and follows me a bit. Again I spend a good 5 minutes before moving
on.

So, my question is, did this cat remember me somehow from the last
time and expected more of the same or did it just get more aggressive
about hitting up random strangers walking down the street?

It's a friendly cat, or it wouldn't have approached you the first
time. It also remembers you as someone who was friendly on a previous
meeting, and not either afraid of or hostile to cats.

Cats are social creatures; they couldn't cope if they didn't remember
individuals.

Why are people always amazed at evidence that cats are not rocks?

Lis

Memories of Bandit (RB) - Long CatNipped[_2_] Cat anecdotes 11 June 26th 07 01:50 PM
Memories Kathryn Cat anecdotes 10 January 17th 07 07:36 PM
Christmas memories Monique Y. Mudama Cat anecdotes 4 December 30th 04 04:29 AM
Memories of Franny Cat TBird Cat anecdotes 8 May 6th 04 11:55 PM