office cats moving to a new location

Old June 7th 12, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Default office cats moving to a new location

"fertile" = "feral"

speech recognition error
Old June 8th 12, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_4_]

On 06/07/2012 10:38 AM, chaniarts wrote:
On 6/7/2012 9:32 AM, Elizabeth Blake wrote:
The two office cats& I are on Day 2 of our new location. After a short
period (less than an hour) of "where the hell am I?", Harriet settled
right in. She's socializing with anyone who looks at her and seems
very happy.

Stinky spent the first day hiding inside a small plastic footstool. My
boss said that he showed up late last night to set up my computer and
she was still there, but when the workmen showed up with the rest of
my stuff she freaked and ran out of the office. We just now found her
new hiding place.

I'm worried that she hasn't had anything to eat or drink for more than
24 hours now. I left food out for them last night but I don't think
either of them ate, although Harriet has eaten some of her breakfast
this morning. I put a bowl with some kibble in the area that Stinky is
hiding in and I hope she'll eat but I think she may be too freaked.

Any suggestions?

capture her and confine her to a small cage in one area. put the
water/food in the cage, and let her get used to the sites/smells of the
new place.

Good advice. The cage should be large enough for her to stand up and
turn in. Put a piece of your clothing (used) in with her. She needs to
feel safe. Good luck.
Old June 8th 12, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Elizabeth Blake[_3_]

I had a large cage (a crate for a large breed dog) at the old office because we sometimes had to confine Harriet if she was having poop issues at night. I didn't bring that with me and right now I don;t think we even have room to set it up.

The good news is that on Thursday afternoon one of my bosses, who Stinky is very fond of, came by to wire some stuff and Stinky heard his voice and briefly came out of hiding (and peed on the floor). We now know where her safe place is so I feel much better. I've got a litter box, food & water in her hiding area. I was just over there and she was eating. She also ate the food I left for her last night and used the litter box. My boss had to come by again today and as soon as he went over to her area and called her she came out of hiding to let him pet her briefly.

Someone mentioned that she might be feral but she isn't. We got her from a shelter when she was 3 months old and she was a typical kitten. She was very social. Over the years she's gone through phases where she would hide a lot, and then she'd come out. For the past two years at our original location she really came out of her shell and was very social. They've been redoing that space over the last few months and really opened it up, where before it was separated into several aisles that would dead end. She loved the openness of the space these last few months. Where we are now, although it is cluttered at the moment, it's also more open so I think she'll like it once she gets used to it.

Harriet likes it here a lot but I'm a little worried that she's spending most of the day upstairs because her food, water & litter are downstairs. This is a retail store so the upstairs is all store space and we can't have that stuff up there. Downstairs is partly retail space but most of it is storage/stockroom and offices. Most of the customers are upstairs and that's what Harriet is drawn to. Yesterday she made several trips downstairs to eat, drink and use the litter box but today she only came down once. Maybe once the novelty of her new home wears off she'll spend more time down here.