My cat had an accident - I'm sick with worry!

Old May 27th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Calico

Default My cat had an accident - I'm sick with worry!

I live on the third floor of an apartment block and yesterday I didn't
close one of the windows properly. Next thing I realise that I hadn't
seen puss in a while so I went looking for her when I noticed she had
pushed it open and jumped out onto concrete. I ran down and managed to
get her back inside but she had a bloody nose and seemed to be in
shock.

She's a calico, and goes CRAZY when taken to the vet so I thought the
best thing to do was to keep her in her environment and keep her calm.
She was walking around okay & didn't seem to have broken anything
apart from busting her nose.

So she kind of curled up and went into herself so I thought the best
thing to do was to let her be. Then this morning she was still really,
really subdued and I noticed that she was going to the toilet a lot
and passing small amounts of blood. I also read lots on the internet
last night about cats dying from going into shock so I got her into
the vets at 11 am this morning. (she had her fall about 2pm yesterday)
As expected the vets examination was traumatic for the cat she ended
up biting the vet and on one of his shelves. But we got her down & he
gave her anti-shock meds & painkillers. He said that she had injured
her back but couldn't tell how severe the damage was without doing x-
rays. So he's keeping her in today & tomorrow.

I feel so guilty! I should have made sure the close the window
properly and brought her to the vet IMMEDIATELY after it happened.
She's up there now and I know she is going to be totally stressed out
& I am convinced she is going to die in a cage up there from some
internal injury. It's Sunday today so there is probably no supervision
up there today/tonight.

The vet said there was no threat to her life and that I shouldn't
worry but I just KNOW the cat isn't going to get better. And if there
is a chance she'll probably require surgery in another district so I
don't know if it would be better to let her go!

Has anyone had similar experiences with back injuries and cats? She
seemed okay yesterday but for being subdued & was even purring this
morning & was walking okay and everything.

I should mention that this is my brothers cat who passed away a couple
of years ago. He ADORED her so she has to be make it. I've been crying
all day thinking about him and the cat being frightened up in the
vets. What am I going to do??

Old May 27th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Calico" wrote in message
ps.com...
I live on the third floor of an apartment block and yesterday I didn't
close one of the windows properly. Next thing I realise that I hadn't
seen puss in a while so I went looking for her when I noticed she had
pushed it open and jumped out onto concrete. I ran down and managed to
get her back inside but she had a bloody nose and seemed to be in
shock.

She's a calico, and goes CRAZY when taken to the vet so I thought the
best thing to do was to keep her in her environment and keep her calm.

No. You know better. Take your cat to the vet.

Old May 27th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 27 May, 20:28, "cybercat" wrote:
"Calico" wrote in message

ps.com...

I live on the third floor of an apartment block and yesterday I didn't
close one of the windows properly. Next thing I realise that I hadn't
seen puss in a while so I went looking for her when I noticed she had
pushed it open and jumped out onto concrete. I ran down and managed to
get her back inside but she had a bloody nose and seemed to be in
shock.

She's a calico, and goes CRAZY when taken to the vet so I thought the
best thing to do was to keep her in her environment and keep her calm.

No. You know better. Take your cat to the vet.

er...she has done

Old May 27th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Catlover Medway via CatKB.com

Try spraying the carrier with Feliway. At the end of the day, if your vet is
referring puss to another veterinary hospital, she has to go. Ask him if you
can put in some bedding or other items with a familiar scent on.

Old May 27th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

Calico wrote:

I should mention that this is my brothers cat who passed away a couple
of years ago.

No need to take the cat to a vet if it already passed away. It's time
to bury it.

Damn you're dumb!

Old May 27th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Calico" wrote in message
ps.com...

snip

The vet said there was no threat to her life and that I shouldn't
worry but I just KNOW the cat isn't going to get better. And if there
is a chance she'll probably require surgery in another district so I
don't know if it would be better to let her go!

Has anyone had similar experiences with back injuries and cats? She
seemed okay yesterday but for being subdued & was even purring this
morning & was walking okay and everything.

I should mention that this is my brothers cat who passed away a couple
of years ago. He ADORED her so she has to be make it. I've been crying
all day thinking about him and the cat being frightened up in the
vets. What am I going to do??

I won't be so foolish as to tell you "don't worry." *All* of us would worry
under these circumstances. However, I will tell you that it is very foolish
for you to try to decide in advance that you *know* your cat is not going to
get any better, and especially since your vet has not said anything to lead
you in that direction. In particular, DON'T EVEN CONSIDER "LETTING HER GO."
It is *much* too early to be making that kind of decision. You need to
follow your vet's advice and give your cat a chance to recover. You are
really speaking from fear and guilt, not from logic or even from realism.
Also, *give yourself a break.* I know you feel terrible about not closing
the window properly, but it was not deliberate cruelty or gross negligence.
All of us have done something in our lives (probably many "somethings") that
we later regret. You need to stop thinking that way right now both for your
own sake and for the well-being of your cat. She deserves to be given an
opportunity for a good life and not to be destroyed simply because you are
fearful.

Please keep us updated.

MaryL

Old May 27th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Fred G. Mackey" wrote in message
Calico wrote:

I should mention that this is my brothers cat who passed away a couple
of years ago.

No need to take the cat to a vet if it already passed away. It's time to
bury it.

Damn you're dumb!

Worse than just a troll .... a *cruel* troll. Score = -1

MaryL

Old May 27th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Calico

On May 27, 12:48 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"Calico" wrote in message

ps.com...

snip

[...]

Thanks - I just have an awful feeling that the vet made the wrong
decision in keeping her in there tonight. He said she'd be fine but
surely she would be better off at home where at least she would be
relaxed and have someone to check on her. And I don't believe him when
he said there was no threat to her life. I'll keep you updated.
Hopefully she'll be okay.

Old May 27th 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

Calico wrote:

I should mention that this is my brothers cat who passed away a couple
of years ago.

No need to take the cat to a vet if it already passed away. It's time to
bury it.

Damn you're dumb!

Worse than just a troll .... a *cruel* troll. Score = -1

This person deserves to be treated cruelly. They let their cat fall out
of a third story window, saw that it was severely injured and waited
until the next day to take it to the vet.

Furthermore, they are hanging on to their cat as if it is somehow a
piece of the brother they lost.

Someone should rescue this feline.

MaryL

Old May 27th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Fred G. Mackey" wrote in message
. ..

Calico wrote:

I should mention that this is my brothers cat who passed away a couple
of years ago.

No need to take the cat to a vet if it already passed away. It's time to
bury it.

Damn you're dumb!

Worse than just a troll .... a *cruel* troll. Score = -1

This person deserves to be treated cruelly. They let their cat fall out
of a third story window, saw that it was severely injured and waited until
the next day to take it to the vet.

Furthermore, they are hanging on to their cat as if it is somehow a piece
of the brother they lost.

Someone should rescue this feline.

I don't think anyone deserves to be treated cruelly. However, the failure
to take the cat to a vet immediately is very disturbing. I thought from
your message that you were only commenting on her grammar because you quoted
only one sentence ("I should mention that this is my brothers cat who passed
away a couple of years ago") and then said that it is time to "bury" it.
So, perhaps I was the one who was cruel. If so, I apologize.

MaryL

sick with worry about my older cat ms. tonya Cat health & behaviour 3 March 4th 06 04:36 AM
Argh - litterbox accident again Karen AKA Kajikit Cat anecdotes 24 December 5th 05 04:51 PM
Our cat had a little accident. :( Advice please! John Krystek Cat health & behaviour 82 November 10th 05 08:27 AM
almost-bad accident Pat Cat anecdotes 9 July 25th 05 04:46 AM
GW [OT] Ghostly accident Yowie Cat anecdotes 3 September 22nd 04 02:23 AM