Cat can tell when nursing home residents will die

Old July 26th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Brian Link

Default Cat can tell when nursing home residents will die

Haven't done a ton of back-research on this, but the article is
alarming, and from a non-tabloid source, apparently.

Most of us folks who follow companion animal news have bumped into
stories about seizure-sensing dogs and cats, as well as animals that
can "smell" cancer. In that context, this is not such a surprise. I
wonder what sense the cat is using to act as Grim Reaper? It'd be
great if scientists could figure out some experiments to learn what
our companion animals know that we couldn't anticipate.

Seeing-eye dogs and assistant animals may just be the surface - how
cool would it be if we could harness the skills and senses of cats &
dogs to help us out in daily life?

Here's the link:
http://cbs13.com/watercooler/waterco...206171558.html

BLink
--------------------------
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"
Old July 26th 07, 09:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Brian Link wrote:
Haven't done a ton of back-research on this, but the article is
alarming, and from a non-tabloid source, apparently.

Most of us folks who follow companion animal news have bumped into
stories about seizure-sensing dogs and cats, as well as animals that
can "smell" cancer. In that context, this is not such a surprise. I
wonder what sense the cat is using to act as Grim Reaper? It'd be
great if scientists could figure out some experiments to learn what
our companion animals know that we couldn't anticipate.

Seeing-eye dogs and assistant animals may just be the surface - how
cool would it be if we could harness the skills and senses of cats &
dogs to help us out in daily life?

Here's the link:
http://cbs13.com/watercooler/waterco...206171558.html

BLink

Don't have time to read the link now, but my sister runs a nursing
home and the resident cat will often sit with a patient in their final
days, non-stop. It's as if she knows the end is near.

-L.

Old July 26th 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Brian Link" wrote in message
[...]

It's an interesting phenomenon. One thing about the reports causes me some
concern -- that is, there are already far too many people who harbor
superstitions about cats. I hope such people don't begin to project this
into a belief that the cat is *causing* deaths. I can envision someone
being violent toward this little kitty. (I hope I'm just being
unnecessarily gloomy here! And I probably am)

Here are a couple of additional articles about the same cat. The first one
includes several nice pictures.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...t.387e5a3.html

MaryL

Old July 26th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lis

On Jul 25, 7:50 pm, Brian Link wrote:
Haven't done a ton of back-research on this, but the article is
alarming, and from a non-tabloid source, apparently.

Most of us folks who follow companion animal news have bumped into
stories about seizure-sensing dogs and cats, as well as animals that
can "smell" cancer. In that context, this is not such a surprise. I
wonder what sense the cat is using to act as Grim Reaper? It'd be
great if scientists could figure out some experiments to learn what
our companion animals know that we couldn't anticipate.

Seeing-eye dogs and assistant animals may just be the surface - how
cool would it be if we could harness the skills and senses of cats &
dogs to help us out in daily life?

Here's the link:http://cbs13.com/watercooler/waterco...206171558.html

BLink
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

"A non-tabloid source"--yeah, I'd say the New England Journal of
Medicine, one of the most respected medical journals in the country,
is "a non-tabloid source."

I'm not sure why you find the story "alarming."

Lis