Curious about Flea Bites

Old August 20th 13, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Curious about Flea Bites

On Tuesday, January 20, 2004 3:06:23 AM UTC+5:30, Marek Williams wrote:
When I was a kid we had a dog. This was a very long time ago, long
before flea medications. The dog had a flea collar, but still had
fleas, and there were fleas in the house.

I recall my mother and my brother constantly complaining about flea
bites. I remember them showing me their ankles with red spots all
over. In the meantime, my father and I never had a single flea bite.
Since leaving home I have always had cats, and they would sometimes
have fleas, in spite of flea collars. Nevertheless, in all my life I
can't remember ever having a flea bite myself.

This has always made me curious. I have a couple questions that
someone might be able to shed some light on.

1) Is it possible for humans (or animals, for that matter) to possess
a natural flea repellent? Like maybe fleas take one whiff of me and go
"phew, stay away from that guy, he really stinks!"

2) Or maybe I'm atually being bitten, but don't display any reaction.
What I'm getting at is what is it about flea bites that makes them
itch? For example, my understanding of mosquito bites is that the
mosquito injects a blood thinner agent to help it suck up the blood;
and humans have an allergic reaction to the agent which causes the
itching and swelling. What exactly is it about flea bites that make
them itch? Is it possible for humans to be immune to this?

My cat gets Revolution and seems to have no flea problem, so it's just
my own curiosity here. Does anyone know of any scientific information
about flea bites?

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

http://fleabitesonhuman.com/
Old August 20th 13, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:
[...]

A better question is what makes anything itch? Oh sure, they say, "allergic
reaction" and all that stuff, but what really causes the itch, and why? Many
years ago, I picked up an eye infection at my local community swimming pool.
I went to an eye doctor and said, "I think I have a fungus infection or
something on my eyelid that ic making it itch. He got angry with me and
said. "Why do you think its a fungus infection? - Its a bacterial
infection!" I didn't say anything to him then, but today I would say, "Why
does it itch? I know he wouldn't have been able to give me a straight
answer. Not then, and not now. Like many doctors, he thought he knew
everything.

Old August 20th 13, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 13:21:58 -0700, "Bill Graham"

wrote:
[...]

It's the sensors in your tissue. Same with any cut or wound. It
hurts, but in the case of a bacterial or fungal infection, you get
itching.

Think about intense itching when you get poison ivy, etc.

Old August 20th 13, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:
[...]

But this doesn't explain the exact mechanism that causes an itch. I get
itching in (on) my ankles. It does no good to scratch it, because allthough
the itch goes away while I am scratching, it comes back almost immediately,
and is worse. So, I haqve just learned to put up with it and pay no
attention to it. What is the exact cause of this? I have no infection or
rash there. And when I get an itch any other place, scratching it makes it
go away for a long time. What is there about my ankles that makes them itch
for no reason, and not be relieved by scratching? And I am not the only one
with this problem. I have a friend about my age who has the exact same
problem.

Old August 20th 13, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

wrote:
[...]

I can't explain the exact mechanism that makes it itch. Skin and
tissue age and get dry as we age. Dry skin itches. Same as leather
when it gets old and dry - it cracks.

Old August 22nd 13, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:
[...]

The interesting thing to me is that there are different kinds of itches. My
psoriasis itches, but the itch goes away when I scratcvh it. and sometimes
for quite a long time. But I don't have any psoriasis on my ankles, and yet
they itch and scratching doesn't help. It only makes it worse.
What is the difference between these two itches on the cellular level?

Old August 22nd 13, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

wrote:
[...]

There has to be a cause for the itch - some kind of irritation of the
cells. I guess it depends upon the intensity and type of irritation.
As you know, some itches can last a long time while others go away
with a slight scratch.

Old August 24th 13, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:
[...]

insects at all, and go through li8fe without feeling or even knowing if they
have flea and/or mosquito bites or are hardley bothered at all by hornets
and other biting insects. My father was one of these, and I too asm
relatively immune to insect bites. My dad would trap a bee in his cupped
hands and feel it crawling around inside trying to find a way out. Then he
would open his hands and let it fly away. He said no bee ad ever stng him
when he did this. Other people, however are bitten by anything that flies
and get large swollen spots all the time, especially in the Summertime, when
the insects are not in hybernation. Our cats have fleas, and we are always
trying to get rid of them, but as far as I know, I have neer been bitten by
one.