Quotes" About Cats

Old April 2nd 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Quotes" About Cats

Cats names are more for human benefit. They give one a certain degree more
confidence that the animal belongs to you.
- - - Alan Ayckbourn "Table Manners"

Cat: a soft indestructible automaton provided by nature to be kicked when
things go wrong in the domestic circle.
- - - Ambrose Bierce

Dogs come when they're called; cats take a message and get back to you.
- - - Mary Bly

The real measure of a day's heat is the length of a sleeping cat.
- - - Charles J. Brady

A cat isn't fussy - just so long as you remember he likes his milk in the
shallow, rose-patterned saucer and his fish on the blue plate. From which he
will take it, and eat it off the floor.
- - - Arthur Bridges

Most cats, when they are Out want to be In, and vice versa, and often
simultaneously.
- - - Dr Louis J. Camuti

I love cats because I love my home and after a while they become its visible
soul.
- - - Jean Cocteau

There are no ordinary cats.
- - - Colette

Authors like cats because they are such quiet, lovable, wise creatures, and
cats like authors for the same reasons.
- - - Robertson Davies

Cat-lovers will no doubt point out that the elegance and dignity of cats are
the consequence of their sojourn in the temples of the gods, where their
attitudes and movements were regarded as divine prognostications. Be that as
it may, it is obvious that the cat's wealth of expressions make it an ideal
candidate for such a role. Unlike the dog, which either wags its tail or
does not wag its tail, the cat possesses a wide range of means to convey its
emotions: It arches its back, makes its fur stand on end, meows, rubs itself
against furniture and against humans, purrs, lashes its tail, spits, and
hisses. The priests of Bacht, therefore, had ample material for
interpretation.
- - - Philippe Diolé, French biologist. "At the Service of the Heart"

Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have
many other fine qualities as well.
- - - Missy Dizick

Before a cat will condescend
To treat you as a trusted friend,
Some little token of esteem
Is needed, like a dish of cream.
- - - T. S. Eliot

When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except to put up
with it until the wind changes.
- - - T. S. Eliot

The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath.
- - - W. C. Fields

The cat is a dilettante in fur.
- - - Theophile Gautier

Cats were put into the world to disprove the dogma that all things were
created to serve man.
- - - Paul Gray

What's virtue in a man can't be virtue in a cat.
- - - Gail Hamilton

Cat: A pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs and patronizes human beings.
- - - Oliver Herford

Some people say man is the most dangerous animal on the planet. Obviously
those people have never met an angry cat.
- - - Lillian Johnson

Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a purpose.
- - - Garrison Keillor

If cats could talk, they would lie to you.
- - - Rob Kopack

The cat could very well be man's best friend but would never stoop to
admitting it.
- - - Doug Larson

If a fish is the movement of water embodied, given shape, then cat is a
diagram and pattern of subtle air.
- - - Doris Lessing "Particularly Cats"

No matter how much cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens.
- - - Abraham Lincoln

I gave my cat a bath the other day ... they love it. He sat there, he
enjoyed it, it was fun for me. The fur would stick to my tongue, but other
than that . . .
- - - Steve Martin

There has never been a cat
Who couldn't calm me down
By walking slowly
Past my chair
- - - Rod McKuen

When the tea is brought at five o'clock
And all the neat curtains are drawn with care,
The little black cat with bright green eyes
Is suddenly purring there.
- - - Harold Monro "Milk for the Cat"

When I play with my cat, who knows if I am not a pastime for her more than
she is to me?
- - - Michel deMontaigne

Pussy-cat, pussy-cat, where have you been?
I've been to London to look at the Queen.
Pussy-cat, pussy-cat, what did you there?
I frightened a little mouse under the chair.
- - - Mother Goose

The trouble with a kitten is that...
Eventually....
It becomes a cat!
- - - Ogden Nash

Cats are to dogs what modern people are to the people we used to have. Cats
are slimmer, cleaner, more attractive, disloyal, and lazy....Cats are
irresponsible and recognize no authority, yet are completely dependent on
others for their material needs. Cats cannot be made to do anything useful.
Cats are mean for the fun of it. In fact, cats possess so many of the same
qualities as some people (expensive girlfriends, for instance) that it's
often hard to tell the people and the cats apart.
- - - P. J. O'Rourke

A cat pours his body on the floor like water.
- - - William Lyon Phelps

Cats are a waste of fur.
- - - Rita Rudner

When the cat's away, chances are he's been run over.
- - - Michael Sanders

There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
- - - Albert Schweitzer

One is never sure, watching two cats washing each other, whether it's
affection, the taste, or a trial run for the jugular.
- - - Helen Thomson

One of the most striking differences between a cat and a lie is that a cat
has only nine lives.
- - - Mark Twain

Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through
snow.
- - - Jeff Valdez

It is impossible to keep a straight face in the presence of one or more
kittens.
- - - Cynthia E. Varnado

A dog is a man's best friend. A cat is a cat's best friend.
- - - Robert J. Vogel

If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat
does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer.
- - - Alfred North Whitehead

rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 19th 05 05:35 AM
performing cats Norm Cat anecdotes 0 September 18th 05 03:32 AM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:23 AM
Cat predation studies Alison Cat health & behaviour 48 February 5th 04 04:17 AM