A Sad Anniversary

Old July 31st 12, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Art Shapiro

Default A Sad Anniversary

Tuesday marks one year since I had to have Calico put down after sudden
catastrophic kidney failure. I'm glad it was sudden, as it was so
difficult to pick her up that a regular course of treatment would have
been impossible.

It was sad that she only made it to 14 1/2 years. In the last three
months of her life, at long last, I could usually pick her up with at
most only minor complaints. In her early years, I'd have to drug her to
get her in for her yearly shots; fortunately only a couple times did she
ever need non-routine veterinary care. Those were quite stressful, to
put it mildly.

I took the liberty of posting a picture, showing Watermelon Man, Calico,
and Emma sitting in my lap in the spring of 2011, while she was still
having no problems and was happy as could be.

http:\\www.ocrebels.com\CatsOnLap.jpg

Art
Old July 31st 12, 04:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Art Shapiro" wrote in message ...

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What a nice picture, to have all three cats on your lap. It's a sad
anniversary, but pictures like this would bring back special memories.

MaryL
Old July 31st 12, 05:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Art Shapiro

On 7/30/2012 8:13 PM, MaryL wrote:

What a nice picture, to have all three cats on your lap. It's a sad
anniversary, but pictures like this would bring back special memories.

Thanks. Looks like I misformatted the link, but you obviously figured
it out!

Should be

Old July 31st 12, 07:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Art Shapiro wrote:

Tuesday marks one year since I had to have Calico put down after sudden
catastrophic kidney failure. I'm glad it was sudden, as it was so
difficult to pick her up that a regular course of treatment would have
been impossible.

It was sad that she only made it to 14 1/2 years. In the last three
months of her life, at long last, I could usually pick her up with at
most only minor complaints. In her early years, I'd have to drug her to
get her in for her yearly shots; fortunately only a couple times did she
ever need non-routine veterinary care. Those were quite stressful, to
put it mildly.

I'm sure her life would've been shorter if you hadn't taken her in.

I took the liberty of posting a picture, showing Watermelon Man, Calico,
and Emma sitting in my lap in the spring of 2011, while she was still
having no problems and was happy as could be.

http://www.ocrebels.com/CatsOnLap.jpg

(URL edited to put the slashes forward )

What a great picture. The blessings of being tall. Maybe people's
height should be measured in cats. You are evidently 3 cats in height.

I'm guessing that Emma is right in front of you, with Calico in the
middle, looking kind of like she's *just* tolerating the group hug. And
Watermelon Man must be down at the end. Now he looks like a contented
guy.

--
Joyce

"Riveting reading that keeps readers reading."
-- The Midwest Book Review

Old July 31st 12, 03:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Art Shapiro

On 7/30/2012 11:05 PM, Bastette wrote:

What a great picture. The blessings of being tall. Maybe people's
height should be measured in cats. You are evidently 3 cats in height.

I'm not tall - about 5'10". The advantage of having a footrest to be
able to stretch out.

I'm guessing that Emma is right in front of you, with Calico in the
middle, looking kind of like she's *just* tolerating the group hug. And
Watermelon Man must be down at the end. Now he looks like a contented
guy.

Nope - got it backwards. Watermelon Man is the grey cat closest to me,
and Emma is the tan one at my feet. This was a somewhat unusual event,
as Emma doesn't particularly like the others and can be quite nasty when
someone else wants my lap. She rarely leaves that room, so as soon as I
sit down it can be as little as two seconds until she's in my lap.

Art

Old July 31st 12, 03:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 18:51:12 -0700, Art Shapiro
wrote:

[...]

Always so sad, but we make them happy for a time. Great shot, at this
point my knees start hurting.
Old July 31st 12, 04:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:03:42 AM UTC-6, Art Shapiro wrote:
On 7/30/2012 11:05 PM, Bastette wrote:

What a great picture. The blessings of being tall. Maybe people's

height should be measured in cats. You are evidently 3 cats in height.

I'm not tall - about 5'10". The advantage of having a footrest to be

able to stretch out.

I'm the same height, but my cats like to be closer, so I'd be 4 or 5 cats tall grin. Not that we have photos of it, they tend to be camera shy when on momma's lap.

I'm guessing that Emma is right in front of you, with Calico in the

middle, looking kind of like she's *just* tolerating the group hug. And

Watermelon Man must be down at the end. Now he looks like a contented

guy.

Nope - got it backwards. Watermelon Man is the grey cat closest to me,

and Emma is the tan one at my feet. This was a somewhat unusual event,

as Emma doesn't particularly like the others and can be quite nasty when

someone else wants my lap. She rarely leaves that room, so as soon as I

sit down it can be as little as two seconds until she's in my lap.

Art

It's a beautiful picture, and they are lovely cats.
Old July 31st 12, 06:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

[...]

Lovely photo, Art. Kidney failure claims a lot of our beloved kitties as
they age.

Old July 31st 12, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Art Shapiro wrote:

[...]

She's really pretty! You don't see a lot of orange girls (though I have
known a few).

--
Joyce

God's original plan was to hang out in a garden with some naked
vegetarians.
-- Seen on a wall poster

Another sad anniversary Marina Cat anecdotes 31 December 11th 06 08:43 PM
Anniversary JBHajos Cat anecdotes 32 January 28th 05 11:18 AM
A sad anniversary ---MIKE--- Cat health & behaviour 15 August 30th 04 11:02 PM
Sad Anniversary CajunPrincess Cat anecdotes 24 August 14th 04 04:07 PM
A sad anniversary ---MIKE--- Cat health & behaviour 4 August 28th 03 08:53 PM