Cat Spotted, although the cat is striped

Old August 1st 08, 03:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

Default Cat Spotted, although the cat is striped

I was watching an Animal-Planet show about a family of banded
mongooses and a _cat_ wandered onto the set. Among the mongooses,
warthigs, lions and eagles, there was a very ordinary-looking tabby
with a very lovely face.

I know that the African Wildcat is one of the closest relatives that
domesticus has (I think the direct ancestor is from the Middle East
but very likely the same species) but I was shocked at how mich like
our kitties this little fellow was. He leaped aggressively to try to
catch a bird and failed. And he "meant to do that," he really did.

I wanted him to go find a forever home but I am sure he is happy where
he is. He didn't seem concerned at ALL about the mongooses, who werre
fairly close to him. I guess he is pretty self-confident.

I hope I am not offending his dignity when I say he is cute.

--
Will in New Haven

Old August 1st 08, 12:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Will in New Haven wrote:

I wanted him to go find a forever home but I am sure he is happy where
he is. He didn't seem concerned at ALL about the mongooses, who werre
fairly close to him. I guess he is pretty self-confident.

I hope I am not offending his dignity when I say he is cute.

It's hard to see any difference between a wildcat and a tame tabby. I
shot these pics of the European wildcats at the Helsinki Zoo last
spring. I wanted to take them home!

The male had found one of those spots that look so uncomfortable to us,
but cats love them. He walked back and forth a couple of times before
laying back down on this branch:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...8/IMG_0782.jpg

His female friend was very busily Ignoring the stoopid hoomins:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...8/IMG_0784.jpg