Licky Granuloma - change to Hill's z/d, d/d or IVD Limited?

Old August 21st 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

Default Licky Granuloma - change to Hill's z/d, d/d or IVD Limited?

On Fri 18 Aug 2006 04:47:34p, femcat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

Cheryl, I know from posting and reading that you're another
"partner" in the fight about this feline skin problem. It seems
that every time I read a post in the newsgoups or Yahoo groups
about granuloma in cats, there's never an easy solution other
than the shots. Everyone subjects the cat to a load of tests
but the vets are always stumped. That's why I can't see putting
my little thing through a blood workup. I had it once before
and the look on her face along with the yelping was very hard to
take. I would only allow another blood test if it were
absolutely necessary.

I understand. Now, I definitely do. None of the tests that Shamrock
went through have really helped him. The allergy shots didn't, and
I can't eliminate his allergens from the environment. He's even
allergic to cat dander, so he's allergic to himself. At least the
tests told us that. The tests also told us that the thing every vet
said was his problem, wasn't. He tested negative to flea bites.

I'm going to check out some of your cites, and if I can be a
"partner" in this fight, we'll do all we can.

--
Cheryl

"Cowboy take me away. Fly this girl as high as you can into the
wild blue. Set me free oh, I pray. Closer to heaven above and
closer to you."
Old August 21st 06, 07:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
-L.

Cheryl wrote:
I understand. Now, I definitely do. None of the tests that Shamrock
went through have really helped him. The allergy shots didn't, and
I can't eliminate his allergens from the environment. He's even
allergic to cat dander, so he's allergic to himself. At least the
tests told us that. The tests also told us that the thing every vet
said was his problem, wasn't. He tested negative to flea bites.

I'm going to check out some of your cites, and if I can be a
"partner" in this fight, we'll do all we can.

--
Cheryl

My feeling has always been that the granuloma complexes are auto-immune
related diseases. As such, they're very complex and not easily solved.

-L.

Old August 21st 06, 10:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cybercat

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

Cheryl wrote:
I understand. Now, I definitely do. None of the tests that Shamrock
went through have really helped him. The allergy shots didn't, and
I can't eliminate his allergens from the environment. He's even
allergic to cat dander, so he's allergic to himself. At least the
tests told us that. The tests also told us that the thing every vet
said was his problem, wasn't. He tested negative to flea bites.

I'm going to check out some of your cites, and if I can be a
"partner" in this fight, we'll do all we can.

--
Cheryl

My feeling has always been that the granuloma complexes are auto-immune
related diseases. As such, they're very complex and not easily solved.

Yes, after four years of successful treatment, Gracie now has the itchy kind
(I guess that is what people are calling "licky") and it comes back a single
month after the Depo shot. There is no way I am giving her shots more than
four times a year, so I am not sure what to do. But she has little red marks
and some small scabs in front of her ears, and her ears look "patchy," kind
of moth-eaten. I have not changed her food, or any of my household cleaners,
nothing. I might try bottled water and see if that helps.

Old August 22nd 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
-L.

cybercat wrote:

Yes, after four years of successful treatment, Gracie now has the itchy kind
(I guess that is what people are calling "licky") and it comes back a single
month after the Depo shot. There is no way I am giving her shots more than
four times a year, so I am not sure what to do. But she has little red marks
and some small scabs in front of her ears, and her ears look "patchy," kind
of moth-eaten. I have not changed her food, or any of my household cleaners,
nothing. I might try bottled water and see if that helps.

I think Depo gets a bad rep more than it should. Quality of life *is*
an issue, afterall. True "lick graulomas" usually develop *after*
licking - dogs get them after licking themselves when nervous, for
example. I'm not sure why in this case the vet called the lesions
"licky" except that the cat was licking them. "Systemic eosinophlic
granuloma" is a better description, IMO.

-L.

Old August 22nd 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cybercat

"-L." wrote in message
ps.com...

cybercat wrote:

Yes, after four years of successful treatment, Gracie now has the itchy

kind
(I guess that is what people are calling "licky") and it comes back a

single
month after the Depo shot.

I think Depo gets a bad rep more than it should. Quality of life *is*
an issue, afterall. True "lick graulomas" usually develop *after*
licking - dogs get them after licking themselves when nervous, for
example.

Well this makes sense because when she is upset she does overgroom.
I posted in the past about how she would groom herself bald--not pulling
the fur out but licking--when she was upset. I know that is what is was
because as soon as I figured out what was bothering her and corrected
it she stopped. But this time it is her ears and it seems much worse. But
WAIT a minute ... she sure can't lick there. Could it be something else?
The vet saw it but said nothing last time I took her in. Her ears look
motheaten, like there are little see-through spots, and then there are
raw spots from her scratching the balding areas in front of her ears.
Have you seen this before?

Old August 22nd 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
-L.

cybercat wrote:
Well this makes sense because when she is upset she does overgroom.
I posted in the past about how she would groom herself bald--not pulling
the fur out but licking--when she was upset. I know that is what is was
because as soon as I figured out what was bothering her and corrected
it she stopped. But this time it is her ears and it seems much worse. But
WAIT a minute ... she sure can't lick there. Could it be something else?

Could be systemic ECG and she's just getting lesions on her ears. No
un-heard-of, but nit common, I'd say.

The vet saw it but said nothing last time I took her in. Her ears look
motheaten, like there are little see-through spots, and then there are
raw spots from her scratching the balding areas in front of her ears.
Have you seen this before?

Hum...that almost sounds like ringworm. I would take her in again for
a consult. Have them sample the lesion and check for ringworm just in
case - the test should be under $25.

-L.

Old August 22nd 06, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
C.J.

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...
Hum...that almost sounds like ringworm. I would take her in again for
a consult. Have them sample the lesion and check for ringworm just in
case - the test should be under $25.

I thought about that, but she's never out in the dirt and I keep both the
boxes
and the house clean enough. I just googled it, and I see it is related to
Athlete's
foot fungus--nobody in the house has ever had that or signs of ringworm.
(And
if she has it I should too, I am always in her face and she sleeps snuggled
with
me.) It sure can't hurt to have it checked out. Thanks. I will take her in
this week.

Old August 22nd 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
-L.

C.J. wrote:
"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...
Hum...that almost sounds like ringworm. I would take her in again for
a consult. Have them sample the lesion and check for ringworm just in
case - the test should be under $25.

I thought about that, but she's never out in the dirt and I keep both the
boxes
and the house clean enough. I just googled it, and I see it is related to
Athlete's
foot fungus--nobody in the house has ever had that or signs of ringworm.
(And
if she has it I should too, I am always in her face and she sleeps snuggled
with
me.) It sure can't hurt to have it checked out. Thanks. I will take her in
this week.

They can get ringworm from the air or tracked in from your shoes - the
spores are everywhere. Peewee gets it ocassionally because he's just
suceptible. Nobody else ever gets it (except Mimi and I did once, when
Pee was a tiny kitten.)

-L.

Old August 22nd 06, 07:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cybercat

"-L." wrote

They can get ringworm from the air or tracked in from your shoes - the
spores are everywhere. Peewee gets it ocassionally because he's just
suceptible. Nobody else ever gets it (except Mimi and I did once, when
Pee was a tiny kitten.)

I had no idea. I looked at her more closely tonight, and I just don't know,
I've never seen ringworm and hers does not look like the pictures I found
on the web. One thing is for su I would rather it be ringworm and easily
curable than a new manifestation of EGC.

Old August 23rd 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

On Mon 21 Aug 2006 02:08:35a, -L. wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com):

Cheryl wrote:
I understand. Now, I definitely do. None of the tests that
Shamrock went through have really helped him. The allergy shots
didn't, and I can't eliminate his allergens from the
environment. He's even allergic to cat dander, so he's allergic
to himself. At least the tests told us that. The tests also
told us that the thing every vet said was his problem, wasn't.
He tested negative to flea bites.

I'm going to check out some of your cites, and if I can be a
"partner" in this fight, we'll do all we can.

--
Cheryl

My feeling has always been that the granuloma complexes are
auto-immune related diseases. As such, they're very complex and
not easily solved.

-L.

I agree. That's why he isn't getting vaccinations right now. The
dermatologist suggested getting his vaccinations up to date before
starting Atopica, but I didn't have them done based on all of my
reading. His regular vet is ok with that. I know she is worried
about the rabies vaccine since it is a law that it be done, but she
knows he's an indoor cat, so at lesser (NOT no risk) risk of being
infected. I wish there were an easier answer to vaccinations. He's
no longer on the Atopica since it made him so nauseous. Atopica
****s with the immune system, too. Lowers it. Just like steroids
do, but I don't know if it lowers it more than steroids. Probably.
They use it for transplant patients.

--
Cheryl