Neurologist & Vet Have No Idea What's Wrong With My Poor Cat

Old September 8th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paige

Default Neurologist & Vet Have No Idea What's Wrong With My Poor Cat

Hi everyone,

Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I posted about my cat having weakness in his hind legs
and sometimes walking with his legs close to the floor. At the same
time he started to have defecating problems. His blood work and
urinalysis were normal, the x-ray showed his colon was backed up with
feces and he's now on Lactulose.

Yesterday we brought him to a neurologist, on the recommendation of our
vet. The neurologist gave him a thorough exam the only time he let out
a whimper was when the Dr. applied pressure to one of his hips,
otherwise he couldn't find anything wrong with him. The Dr. recommended
acupuncture to relieve his discomfort. He also said the next step would
be an MRI and that requires anesthesia, but he couldn't guarantee a
diagnosis just the ruling out of a tumor or some kind of blockage.

Does anyone have any idea as to what may be going on here? My cat
"Jason" looks so sad, I know he doesn't feel good, and I am
really worried.

I appreciate your help.

Page

Old September 8th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Paige,
An MRI should give more info than just to rule out a tumor or blockage. It
can show if there is some kind of spinal compression or problem with the
hip. I'm surprised that the neurologist didn't think the MRI could show
more.

I don't know what the problem may be, but you might want to consider having
the MRI done in order to find out what the problem may be.

Good luck.

Sue
oups.com...

Old September 8th 06, 07:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Paige wrote:
Hi everyone,

Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I posted about my cat having weakness in his hind legs
and sometimes walking with his legs close to the floor. At the same
time he started to have defecating problems. His blood work and
urinalysis were normal, the x-ray showed his colon was backed up with
feces and he's now on Lactulose.

Yesterday we brought him to a neurologist, on the recommendation of our
vet. The neurologist gave him a thorough exam the only time he let out
a whimper was when the Dr. applied pressure to one of his hips,
otherwise he couldn't find anything wrong with him. The Dr. recommended
acupuncture to relieve his discomfort. He also said the next step would
be an MRI and that requires anesthesia, but he couldn't guarantee a
diagnosis just the ruling out of a tumor or some kind of blockage.

They should be able to see a tumor or hard blockage on X-ray. Have
they done a barium contrast x-ray yet? The only thing that will not
show up on x-ray is a soft blockage and that wouldn't cause limb
weakness, anyway. It sounds to me like nerve damage or a tumor.

My dog Tosh started losing the use of her right hind leg and we thought
it was a sprain. Eventually she was diagnosed (via x-ray) with a tumor
which was under the spine and pressing on her intestines/colon. She
had trouble defecating, and after 9 months, she got so bad (dragging
her leg and couldn't poop) I had to choose to euthanize her. It was
one of the hardest things I have ever had to do.

I hope you can get a diagnosis soon. MRI is expensive and I'd have
x-rays done before resorting to MRI if you haven't done so. My best
advice, overall, is don't let him suffer.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-L.

Old September 8th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paige

blkcatgal wrote:
Paige,
An MRI should give more info than just to rule out a tumor or blockage. It
can show if there is some kind of spinal compression or problem with the
hip. I'm surprised that the neurologist didn't think the MRI could show
more.

The Doctor mentioned several things the MRI would pick up. I couldn't
remember all of them.

I don't know what the problem may be, but you might want to consider having
the MRI done in order to find out what the problem may be.

Good luck.

Thank you.

Sue

Old September 8th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paige

-L. wrote:
Paige wrote:
[...]

They took an x-ray that shows the spine and colon, I don't know if it's
a barium contrast x-ray. I'm waiting for the vet to call me so I can
ask. The MRI is $1,500, and I don't remember what the neurologist said
the anesthesiologist cost. Last night we had to put Jason in the
bathroom with his blanket, water, and a litter box. He has no control
of his bowels now, and from what I can see this morning he had a hard
time getting in the box to urinate. There was urine all over the front
of the liner bag in the box.

My dog Tosh started losing the use of her right hind leg and we thought
it was a sprain. Eventually she was diagnosed (via x-ray) with a tumor
which was under the spine and pressing on her intestines/colon. She
had trouble defecating, and after 9 months, she got so bad (dragging
her leg and couldn't poop) I had to choose to euthanize her. It was
one of the hardest things I have ever had to do.

One of our other cat's (altogether we have 4) was stuffed up like he
had a cold and I rushed him to the vet the other day. The vet said he
has a sinus infection, and she gave him an antibiotic. I don't know
whether I'm coming or going. I'm so sorry to hear about Tosh, I hope
she didn't suffer. It's so hard letting go of them they're a part of
our families. Getting the right diagnosis is like a puzzle when there
is more than one symptom.

I will keep you posted.

Thank you.

Page

Old September 12th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paige

I hope you can get a diagnosis soon. MRI is expensive and I'd have
x-rays done before resorting to MRI if you haven't done so. My best
advice, overall, is don't let him suffer.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-L.

I brought Jason to the vet this morning for fluids and an enema.
Fortunately his regular Dr. was off today and another Dr. took care of
him. She took another x-ray to make sure he was constipated and found a
spot on his lung. She thinks there's a tumor on his spine and it spread
to his lung. He was scheduled for an MRI on Thursday, which will not be
necessary now. She prescribed Prednisone, and Triotic; he also has an
ear infection. He is completely incontinent now. I ordered cat diapers
over the Internet today, and as long as he isn't in pain we can keep
him with us. I hope he can hang on because we just aren't ready to let
him go.

Page

Old September 12th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Paige,
I am so sorry to hear about this. Give him all the love you can. My
thoughts are with you.

Sue
oups.com...

Old September 12th 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

"Paige" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

HUgs to you Paige...give him hugs from us and love him as much as you can.

Old September 12th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Paige wrote:
I brought Jason to the vet this morning for fluids and an enema.
Fortunately his regular Dr. was off today and another Dr. took care of
him. She took another x-ray to make sure he was constipated and found a
spot on his lung. She thinks there's a tumor on his spine and it spread
to his lung. He was scheduled for an MRI on Thursday, which will not be
necessary now. She prescribed Prednisone, and Triotic; he also has an
ear infection. He is completely incontinent now. I ordered cat diapers
over the Internet today, and as long as he isn't in pain we can keep
him with us. I hope he can hang on because we just aren't ready to let
him go.

Page

Paige, I am so sorry. Make him as comfortable as possible, and let him
know you love him. Cherish every day.

-L.

Old September 17th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mdsu

Paige wrote:

[...]

I'm very sorry. I put my cat down 3 weeks ago. He had lung cancer that
spread, among other places, to his right from leg, resulting in a limp.
I kept him as long as I could and spoiled him rotten. When the time
came, it was very hard on me, but I did the right thing. I know how hard
it will be for you to let your cat go. But for the time being, spend as
much quality time as you can with your cat. I know what you're going
through and I'm really sorry.

Rich