Licky's back at vet today

Old April 11th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Licky's back at vet today

wrote in message
Despite about 2 months of giving him special c/d food, and not letting
him eat any more dry food, Licky still has some blood in his urine.
He doesn't appear to be straining - at least I haven't seen him going
in and out of the litterbox every 5 minutes, which is what happens when
he's straining. I know he has blood because I've been seeing the little
droplets of it on the bathroom floor.

So, he's back at you-know-where today, having yet another urinalysis.
If they can manage it, they will take a culture to see if there's an
infection. If they still can't find anything, I'll have to schedule an
ultrasound, but I'm hoping that won't be necessary.

I instruct Bast to make my beloved better. Immediately if not sooner.

Kitty FC

Old April 11th 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Despite about 2 months of giving him special c/d food, and not letting
him eat any more dry food, Licky still has some blood in his urine.

There's nothing scarier than urinary problems in a cat. It strikes me
that there is another Hill's that is made for clearing up UTIs, but I
can't think of the name offhand. You might want to ask your vet. C/d
generally just prevents urinary problems from developing; it doesn't
cure them.

"Anti-struvite". Our Ishmael was on it for a while. We tried
keeping him on c/d long-term, but they changed the formula and
the tin, and he'd rather have starved than eat the revised one.
After a while he was okay with normal catfood again, but for a
couple of years we'd give him anti-struvite food for a few days
occasionally.

To me, the anti-struvite food smelt weird and chemical, and the
c/d stuff smelt ok, but then I was a mere human lacking Ishmael's
superior discernment in these matters.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old April 11th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=

bastXXXette

--
Joyce

Major purrs sent from us for poor Licky.
Hug
Kyla

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^

Old April 11th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

"Anti-struvite". Our Ishmael was on it for a while. We tried
keeping him on c/d long-term, but they changed the formula and
the tin, and he'd rather have starved than eat the revised one.
After a while he was okay with normal catfood again, but for a
couple of years we'd give him anti-struvite food for a few days
occasionally.

I'll ask the vet about that, thanks. They could be pushing Hill's just
because that's who's visited them and given them perks. I'm cynical
about such things. I like this vet practice, they genuinely seem to
like animals, and they don't gouge prices. But everyone's vulnerable to
the siren song of enticements from vendors. My sister is a physician's
assistant, and I can't believe how often she dines out at fancy
restaurants which a pharmaceutical company is paying for. Vet practices
probably get the same *kinds* of pressure, even if in smaller amounts.

I guess before I get anti-struvite food, it needs to be determined that
he *has* struvites. As I understand it, that's not necessarily the case,
and it's not clear what's causing him to have problems.

To me, the anti-struvite food smelt weird and chemical, and the
c/d stuff smelt ok, but then I was a mere human lacking Ishmael's
superior discernment in these matters.

I think the c/d smells terrible, though it doesn't have a chemical
smell, at least. It's just a very strong-smelling (and kind of vile-
smelling) meat odor. The Wellness canned food has a far less offensive
odor. However, Smudge does not agree. I usually feed her first, and she
eats on the counter so certain overexcited boys don't bother her. But
when I start dishing out the overexcited boy's food, Smudge goes right
for it. I'm sure she'd rather have that than the Wellness.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^

Old April 11th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

CatNipped wrote:

wrote in message

He doesn't appear to be straining - at least I haven't seen him going
in and out of the litterbox every 5 minutes, which is what happens when
he's straining. I know he has blood because I've been seeing the little
droplets of it on the bathroom floor.

Joyce, please be sure it is an infection and not just fleas - yep you read
right, fleas! Flea poo is nothing but dried blood and when it gets in a
moist environment, like a bathroom, it turns into little blood droplets. I
don't know about where you live, but here in Houston it's already the
beginning of flea season.

Oh, wow - I didn't know about that! That's a *very* good suggestion. It's
about time to give them all Advantage again. We have fleas year-round,
but it gets worse in the spring. I will also bring this up with the vet.

Thanks!

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old April 11th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"CatNipped" wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

This kind of thing is one reason I love this group. I used to know that.
Had completely forgotten. But someone will remember these weird bits of
necessary info when needed.

And I can't feel too bad about forgetting. Bet you used to know how bad
tom cats pee stinks before Hunter showed up looking all sweet and needy.

I do hope he is settling in well. At least he isn't using the dryer as a
litter box. But I hope the car recovers soon.

You might just be keeping a spare bottle of febreeze in there for a while.

Jo

Old April 11th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Apr 11, 3:03*pm, wrote:
yepp wrote:

* Wow, that's too bad Joyce. *Scary too. *Many purrs and prayers for
* Licky. *What would an ultrasound show? *Like an abcess or something?

Probably crystals, if that's what he has. It's not clear what's causing
the inflammation. Could be crystals, could be an infection. Or maybe
something else, but I don't know of anything else that causes this.

So far, I'm not scared about it. It seems treatable, at least. But I
feel bad for my little scaredy-cat. He howled all the way over there -
at least it's only 10 minutes away. A friend of mine will be picking
him up this afternoon and bringing him home. I'll be at work, so it was
either ask someone to get him, or board him overnight. I'd really like
him home with me tonight, and I'm sure he'd like that, too. My friend
said she'd stay at my house for a while and hang out with him and Roxy,
so maybe that'll help calm him down.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. *^..^

Sorry to hear about that. Purrs they find out exactly whats wrong and
treat Licky appropriately. As I mentioned before, Rusty has a history
of urinary blockages and infection. He is recovering from another
infection right now. He has been on antibiotics for over a week.
Urinary test showed blood in his urine. But the blood was not visible
to the eyes. But some years back he did passed blood. Scared me to
death. At that time he was put on antibiotics for a whole month.
Rusty reblocked after a year or 2 on dry C/D.
We switched to different canned precsription food for urinary blockage
including Medi Cal Preventive formula and Royal Canin Urinary SO. Be
sure Licky get enough water. I add water to Rusty's canned food.

Licky may have crystals that irritated his urinary tract to cause
bleeding but not blocked. That happened once to Rusty.
Keep us posted. Rusty is sending sympathetic purrs to Licky. He
understands what Licky is going through.

Winnie
Old April 11th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"CatNipped" wrote:

Joyce, please be sure it is an infection and not just fleas - yep you
read right, fleas! Flea poo is nothing but dried blood and when it gets
in a moist environment, like a bathroom, it turns into little blood
droplets.

I'm responding to this again, because I just spoke to the vet's office
and I brought this up. The woman I talked to (not actually the vet, but
one of the front-desk people, or maybe a tech) said that dried flea poop
is powdery, and not like droplets. So I said, "but in the bathroom, it's
humid, especially after a shower, so wouldn't it dissolve?" And - you
should excuse the expression - in a little-girl bimbo voice that sounds
like chalk on a blackboard to me, she responded, "I'm sure it's a urinary
tract infection." End of story.

I don't know who or what to believe! The flea idea sounded so reasonable,
and my cats are always getting them. I also want to believe that because
that would be so easy to treat. Licky doesn't actually have any other
signs of a problem right now. **I only brought him in because of the blood
droplets.** sigh...

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old April 12th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote:

[...]

Check the other cats carefully for 'flea dirt' in their fur. Cats are good
at getting rid of it but if there is enough to spot the bathroom, you
should find some little black flecks next to their skin.

To confirm you just lick the tip of your finger and touch one of the flecks
and it dissolves.

Jo
Jo